Dallas (London) guitar?

copland

• Members

I bought an electric guitar from a friend in about 1970. On the machine head, it's labelled "Dallas LONDON" and has a treble clef mark. He said it was early 60s. I can't find any references to Dallas guitars. Anyone know? Boosey & Hawkes have been suggested.

copland, Manchester, UK

• Members

DALLAS

John E Dallas & Son was a long-established company, having been founded c.1875. It operated as a distributor of a wide range of musical instruments, and by the late 1950s Dallas Music Ltd of Dallas Building, Clifton Street, London EC2 had added guitars and amplifiers to it's portfolio.

Early amplifiers were branded Dallas, Shaftesbury or Rangemaster : early UK-made guitars were branded Dallas, and later a wide range of imported Shaftesbury guitars were offered. We believe the amplifiers were made from c.1959/60 to c.1965, because in 1965 Dallas bought Arbiter and at around this time commenced manufacture of the Sound City range of amplifiers which presumably superseded previous brands. Dallas became Dallas-Arbiter in 1967 and continued into the 1980s.

(For more information on Sound City and Dallas, visit THE SOUND CITY EQUIPMENT SITE )

http://britamps.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/restof.html

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eiktoblikto/history.htm

• Members

Hi

Dallas Guitar.

Thanks for that information. I'd already checked out Sound City and they only cover the amps, and those are from the Arbiter time. So my g is from somewhere between late 50s and 65, and is UK-made, which confirms what I thought.

copland, Manchester, UK

• Members

IIRC, there was something about a Dallas branded guitar in either Guitar Buyer UK or Guitar & Bass UK recently - the Dallas Tuxedo (bore the same shape in relation to an LP as a parlour acoustic in relation to a dreadnaught, if you see what I mean) was the first UK produced solid body electric guitar. If it's one of those you have, that'd be nice from a collector's POV.

• Members

IIRC, there was something about a Dallas branded guitar in either Guitar Buyer UK or Guitar & Bass UK recently - the Dallas Tuxedo (bore the same shape in relation to an LP as a parlour acoustic in relation to a dreadnaught, if you see what I mean) was the first UK produced solid body electric guitar. If it's one of those you have, that'd be nice from a collector's POV.

They are getting quite collectable if all the original parts are present and correct but I'm afraid I have no idea how much they are worth. As Edward says Guitar and Bass had a little article about one last month where a guy retrieved his from the garage and fixed it up for his daughter. Perhaps a letter and a pic to that magazine might reveal some additional information ?

Archived