Peavey T 60 ?'s

streetknight

• Members

heavy. Really, really heavy. Every T-60 I have ever played has been like 'boat anchor' heavy. They're all maple right?

They're ash and I have a 1978 8M serial number (first production run) which is the slab body (later models were contoured) and it's no heavier than a Les Paul.

For $250, I would jump on that guitar. In fact, you CAN jump on them and they will stay in tune.

• Members

Make sure you get the case. They won't fit in most generic fenderish gig bags and cases. If you want to sell it/ship it, the case makes a huge difference.

I have a slab PAF one that I bought new in '80 or '81 and it weighs like 11 pounds. I picked up a contoured white one with a rosewood neck and rails that had some electronic issue for $175 w/ the case from samash a while back. I only bought it because I knew it was a good price.

• Members

They're ash and I have a 1978 8M serial number (first production run) which is the slab body (later models were contoured) and it's no heavier than a Les Paul.

For $250, I would jump on that guitar. In fact, you CAN jump on them and they will stay in tune.

Haha, Brakster speak truth!

Yeah $250 w/ohsc is a very good price. I got a black T-60 a couple years ago w/ohsc for two Benjamins and didn't even dicker with the pawnshop I bought from.

Which is very unlike me. ;)

They're quite versatile guitars once you learn their tone/splitter function. Definitely gigworthy bone stock.

017_13A.JPG

An added plus is that the bursts and colors usually are a smidgen more valuable than the ubiquitous natural-finished ones.

• Members

Almost bought a nice burst on E-Bay a week or so ago. His BIN was $350 with the case. Both MINT. I thought about it. Then sent him a a E-Mail. GONE? Seems most of the one's in the $250 range have issues. Also you have to look good at the bodies. Sometimes the Three piece Ash is matched terrible. Others look very good.

• Members

Dude, the rectangular one is even beefier, except for the little feet break off too easily.

To think, my skinny little 13-year old arms dragged that thing around.

By the way, I have come to really like the sound of my PAF one for recording. the middle position can sound like ass unless you fool with the knobs. This is not an "Everything set to ten" guitar. The best sounds are achieved by adjusting the balance between the pickups. That is why I don't like it live (besides it being a heavy mofo). I can't just flip the switch and get what I want.

I paid for a new non-aluminum nut and a setup and it is one of my best guitars that I never play :D

• Members

Also, many people are not aware of how the tone controls work on the T-60's, and don't realize the wide range of tones that are available.

For one thing there is a "out of phase" switch that can be used for the bridge pickup. When using it you can achieve a "hollow, out of phase" tone.

The tone controls are interesting as well. From "0" to around "7" each tone control will work on the neck or bridge humbucker just like a normal control.

But when you turn the control(s) above "7" each humbucker will split into 'single coil mode', for a strat/tele tone. When in single coil mode I normally just max out each tone control to "10"...

Almost endless possibilities. :thu:

copeland1.jpg

copeland2.jpg

• Members

For one thing there is an "out of phase" switch that can be used for the bridge pickup. When using it you can achieve a "hollow, out of phase" tone.

By way of clarification, the out-of-phase switch works only when the pickup-selector switch is in the middle position (both pickups selected), so that the bridge is out-of-phase relative to the neck pickup.

(I know you know that, but others may not.)

BK

• Members

I have heard that different woods are used on the natural finish and color models and that the natural ones are significantly heavier. I have owned a natural and a black one and that was true in my case.

Yes, the story I've heard more than once (here and at peaveyt60.com) is that some were poplar rather than the heavier Northen Ash used on the naturals. My Blackie does not seem as heavy as the couple of naturals I've played either.

The T-60 owner's manual simply referred to them as being made of "elect hardwood."

BK

• Members

I'll try to go back and give it a whirl. You guys are getting me interested. I'm big on the neck being comfortable on a guitar these days as I'm still a beginner and trying to find something "easier" for me to play.

Good luck! If you end up getting it, definitely consider coming over to http://www.peaveyt60.com

Several of the people who've responded in this thread are forumites over there, and it's a very friendly, laid-back bunch. Plus, Chip Todd, the man who designed the T-60, posts there all the time and is as nice as pie.

Archived