009 or 010 strings best for shredding?

Santuzzo

• Members

I have been using sets of 009.

I am considering giving 010s a try, but I'm not looking forward to readjusting the floating trem and the neck.

What do you guys find best for shredding? 009 or 010?

Not that I'm a shredder, but I'm working on my alternate picking ....

:wave:

• Members

What dont you like about the 9's?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the 009s.

I was just curious about the tone of 010s, they are supposed to produce a somewhat fatter tone.

I have 013s on my jazzguitar, but I don't bend strings on the jazz box.

• Members

I think increased string tension will make it seem easier at first, but the secret behind it all is a very light touch on both your left and right hands. I would say the difference is between tone and the slight slinkyness of the strings, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

• Members

Has anybody experienced fast picking to become a bit easier after switching from 009s to 010s?

BTW: I checked out Paul Gilbert's "Technical Difficulties" the other day for the first time, as it was mentioned in a thread here, and I was like :eek:

Made me wanna spend more time on practicing my picking .....

• Members

This has to be one of the stupidest threads I've ever read on here...

Listen dude, if that's your opinion, fine.

What I don't get, though, why bother and get into the thread then?

Just stay out of it and let it be and look for threads that interest you.

I was being serious with my question, and hoping to get serious answers.

If you don't have anything useful to contribute, might as well not post in this thread, whadda ya think?!Make sense:idea: :freak::blah:

• Members

Because the diameter of the strings makes absolutely no {censored}ing difference on how fast you can hit it with a pick.

What about how the diameter of the string in regards to how it reacts when picked? I could go on about how there is more to it than the way you see it...but

Bottom line: It's not a stupid question at all.

• Members

here's a good question

009 or 010 strings best for playing music?

Depends on the music..your style..etc. No real "best".

Here is an example though....

I like 9's for getting dirty tones that have alot of "skank" and "slur". The 9's allow for that stuff alot easier than say 10's or 11's. You can get raunchy with some dirt and 9's. Jimmy Page's live playing and style is a good example of playing that has those adjectives in them.

Now for BIG clean rhythm tones on say a strat. 10's are pretty cool. They are "beefier" then 9's and have more of an overall string to string balance compared to 9's.

• Members

Well, as I mentioned earlier, it's not that I'm not happy with the 009s, it's just something I'd like to give a try, I wanna see how the 10s would feel and sound.

I do like the feel of thicker strings, like I have on my jazzguitar, but the thing that holds me back from putting 010s on my solidbody is the pain of readjusting everything ..... But I will never find out if i don't try :idea:

Archived