What does a Rosewood tree look like?

meyhna'ch

• Members

This is (African) mahogany :

tree_AfricMahogany.jpg

oh some info :

Ebony

Ebony's scientific name is Diospryus Sp. and it is found in mainly in Africa, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and other Asian countries. It comes naturally in a solid black, dark brown or black and brown with lighter streaks. Ebony is a hard and dense wood. As a result, ebony wood is a prized wood for high end decorative carvings and for musical instruments such as piano keys, violin finger boards, pegs and check rest. Lighter ebony wood is also used in golf club heads because of its excellent resistance to impact.

Mahogany

Better known as the Myroxylon Balsamum in the scientific community, Mahogany is widely distributed in South America spanning from southern Mexico through Central America and all the way down to Argentina. The very fine and even texture, along with its striped figuring, complements the attractive natural dark to reddish brown color. Its grains are typically interlocked. One a freshly cut surface, it has a medium to high gloss in addition to emitting a pleasant spicy scent. In addition to being recognized as a beautiful wood, Mahogany is more well known for its strength. It has excellent durability and toughness. It sands beautifully to a high natural polish and shine. Therefore, Mahogany is generally a prized materials to use for furniture, boat/yacht building and high end decorative products only. In recent years, Mahogany has also been used in wood flooring as well as an active ingredient in some perfume.

Black Rosewood

Also known as "Indian Rosewood", "Sonokeling", "Sonobrits" or Dalbergia Latifolia, black rosewood is a high premium quality wood. Because of its premium stature, it is typically used to produce high end pieces such as ornamental gifts, wood carvings, decorative paneling, furniture, etc. Black rosewood is very similar to Ebony wood which is an even higher quality wood.

There you go Google!!!

• Moderators

This is (African) mahogany :

Mahogany

Better known as the Myroxylon Balsamum in the scientific community, Mahogany is widely distributed in South America spanning from southern Mexico through Central America and all the way down to Argentina. The very fine and even texture, along with its striped figuring, complements the attractive natural dark to reddish brown color. Its grains are typically interlocked. One a freshly cut surface, it has a medium to high gloss in addition to emitting a pleasant spicy scent. In addition to being recognized as a beautiful wood, Mahogany is more well known for its strength. It has excellent durability and toughness. It sands beautifully to a high natural polish and shine. Therefore, Mahogany is generally a prized materials to use for furniture, boat/yacht building and high end decorative products only. In recent years, Mahogany has also been used in wood flooring as well as an active ingredient in some perfume.

There you go Google!!!

Google is fine, but you need to realise that there is a fair deal of {censored}e out there........and you just got some:thu:

Mahogany is of the genus Swietenia. The stuff that Chippendale used to make furniture was Swietenia mahogani, but Swietenia macrophylla is the usual available species. What is called African mahogany is of the Genus Khaya and very closely related, and a tad less dense. Mahogany, ie Swietenia has almost never been used for flooring or boats, but Sapele and other oily variants have.

• Moderators

Black Rosewood

Also known as "Indian Rosewood", "Sonokeling", "Sonobrits" or Dalbergia Latifolia, black rosewood is a high premium quality wood. Because of its premium stature, it is typically used to produce high end pieces such as ornamental gifts, wood carvings, decorative paneling, furniture, etc. Black rosewood is very similar to Ebony wood which is an even higher quality wood.

There you go Google!!!

Oh dear, you're not doing very well:) Google is weeing on your bonfire:p

Black rosewood is Dalbergia nigra (nigra??...black?) and is the most highly prized Brazilian variety.

This is a good rosewood site:

http://www.mangore.com/rosewood_names.html

• Members

Google is fine, but you need to realise that there is a fair deal of {censored}e out there........and you just got some:thu:

Mahogany is of the genus Swietenia. The stuff that Chippendale used to make furniture was Swietenia mahogani, but Swietenia macrophylla is the usual available species. What is called African mahogany is of the Genus Khaya and very closely related, and a tad less dense. Mahogany, ie Swietenia has almost never been used for flooring or boats, but Sapele and other oily variants have.

I was going to say...that other description really doesn't sound much like mahogany.

I know the mahogany I've worked with can not be sanded to a shine anyway. It's pretty open grained and no matter how much you sand it, it doesn't buff up to a shine without grain filler and some kind of clear coat.

• Moderators

I was going to say...that other description really doesn't sound much like mahogany.

I know the mahogany I've worked with can not be sanded to a shine anyway. It's pretty open grained and no matter how much you sand it, it doesn't buff up to a shine without grain filler and some kind of clear coat.

Even after the grain filler it's pretty open grained;)

• Members

well ok, so {censored} you Google ;)

my bad, I should have checked Warmoth (which has all the latin names for a lot of guitar woods : http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm )

So Brasilian rosewood = Dalbergia nigra

the rest (or something like that :p ) = Dalbergia baroni

Mmhhh but the question was to see a rosewood tree...

• Moderators

well ok, so {censored} you Google
;)

my bad, I should have checked Warmoth (which has all the latin names for a lot of guitar woods :
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm
)

So Brasilian rosewood = Dalbergia nigra

the rest (or something like that
:p
) = Dalbergia baroni

Mmhhh but the question was to see a rosewood tree...

Hmmm, usually D. latifolia, that's Indian r'wood, but the D. baroni you mention is what is commonly known as Palisander, which in itself is a generic term for rosewood. I love working on Indian r'wood, I reckin it's the most fragrant of all, but then I've never used the Brazilain variety.

• Members

Honduran Mahogany is not real dense

Janka Scale of Hardness

Teak is another one where Traditional Teak is similar in density to an Oak

but the Brazilian variety is uberdense.

Names can be misleading sometimes too.

People are calling about 1/2 dozen woods Lignum Vitae,

some of which aren't even in the Ironwood category.

Archived