Old Hollow Body Gibson

Coda

• Members

I have an Old Gibson Hollowbody, and i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out a little more history about the guitar. All I really know about it is that my grandfather bought it in the 60's. It has a single P-90 style pickup, to knobs, one for volume and one for tone, and it has no serial number. Any help would be appreciated gratefully.

• Members

I have an Old Gibson Hollowbody, and i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out a little more history about the guitar. All I really know about it is that my grandfather bought it in the 60's. It has a single P-90 style pickup, to knobs, one for volume and one for tone, and it has no serial number. Any help would be appreciated gratefully.

Well first off have an "old hollowbody Gibson" is pretty damn cool.

#1 Does it have a single or double cutaway?

#2 If a single cutaway..is it a sharpish one or more rounded?

#3 Are the knobs on the pickguard or on the body? (does it have a guard)

#4 Have you looked inside teh body through the F-holes for a serial number or label? Does it even have F-holes?

A pic would set things straight pretty fast.

Edit >>>>Ok...Double cut was confirmed

• Members

I think Gibson made those from around 1959-1972.In good condition They sell for around $2000-$3000.Post pics when you can.

Yes, from what I gather, that's true for the ES 330 hollow body model.

I found out doing some research on the net that, the black P90 dog eared p'ups and the dot inlays were phased out in late 1962 to what became the chrome P90's and the block inlays.

And if you check e bay for Gibsons you'll find them and what fuzztone said about prices is true. Maybe more for mint. I'll post a pic of my 61 two p'up model.

CIMG0073-1.jpg

• Members

Thanks to everyone who commented. I have another question though, I have a Fender Super Reverb serial number AB763. My uncle gave it to me a few years back. He found it in an ally in the 70's, and just had it sitting in the basement. It needs work though, Im not sure whats wrong with it, after about 10 mins of being on, the fuse blows, any ideas as to what could be wrong? also, i was wondering if the 63 means it was made in 1963?

• Members

Thanks to everyone who commented. I have another question though, I have a Fender Super Reverb serial number AB763. My uncle gave it to me a few years back. He found it in an ally in the 70's, and just had it sitting in the basement. It needs work though, Im not sure whats wrong with it, after about 10 mins of being on, the fuse blows, any ideas as to what could be wrong? also, i was wondering if the 63 means it was made in 1963?

According to the "Fender Amp Fieldguide" AB763's can be Balck or Silverface. What does the amp look like?

Man you got some great "Free" gear. Dont sell any of it. Get the amp to a qualified amp tech and have them get it up to specs so you can play through it.

• Members

The best guy I know to repair a tube amp is Paul Rixon. Basically you take the guts out of the amp and mail it to him. Quality work. Price is right. And he knows amps extremely well. Replaced the output transformer on my 1982 Concert II amp and did a cap job on a couple other ones.

Your amp might be worth fixing.

Paul M Rixon, Robin Tube Amplification robinamp@adelphia.net

Paul M Rixon 1743 NE 24th ST. Jensen Beach Fl,34957

Archived