my guitar won't intonate

jimwratt

• Members

my guitar wont intonate. i move the saddles closer and closer to the neck until they come off the screws and the tuner keeps telling me i'm 20 cents flat. what's going on? This is normally so easy. The more i move the saddles toward the neck, the notes sometimes get even flatter

• Members

Try going to other way and start with one string - first off - replace the strings with new ones, then start with the A string.

if that doesn't work:

did you just get it and what brand is it? You may have gotten a guitar that the bridge was put on in the wrong place/length away from the nut.

if this is the case take it back.

• Members

I don't think tuners are very good for setting intonation with, not even strobe ones, you're better off doing it by ear, IMO, but there are a few other possible causes: If they're new strings, make sure you've stretched them well by pulling them upwards a few times, I would also look very closely at the bridge saddles to make sure that the string isn't moving up or down on the crown of the saddle - this is really only a problem on guitars that don't have that groove for the string to slot into (that you get on Tele's for example) you also didn't say if it had a whammy or not, but if it does and you're resting your hand on the bridge while you're trying to intonate it, you could be bending the strings out of tune.

• Members

I don't think tuners are very good for setting intonation with, not even strobe ones, you're better off doing it by ear, IMO, but there are a few other possible causes: If they're new strings, make sure you've stretched them well by pulling them upwards a few times, I would also look very closely at the bridge saddles to make sure that the string isn't moving up or down on the crown of the saddle - this is really only a problem on guitars that don't have that groove for the string to slot into (that you get on Tele's for example) you also didn't say if it had a whammy or not, but if it does and you're resting your hand on the bridge while you're trying to intonate it, you could be bending the strings out of tune.

I tend to agree about using your ear, or at least when the tuner is inconsistent, just do it by ear. All of these are good tips.

Oh one other thing,

When you're loosening that screw, be sure that the screw is actually going through the hole, not just unscrewing out the other end of the bridge. I've caught it doing that on my bass, the string tension had kept the saddle in place and the screw was unscrewing out the back. Just keep pushing the screw in as you turn it, it should pop into place.

• Members

Also.

1: use a good set of new strings, stretched in and tuned up till they hold tune at the open strings consistently. Yeah it's PITA,but worth it.

2:You may have a bad set of strings, I had one recently. Guitar wouldn't tune. until I ditched them.

3: Tuners are not infallible, try another tuner.

Appologies if you know this stuff, all the best.

Archived