11th Fret = dead spot

RedOne

• Members

Sounds like the 12th fret is too high. Before you take it for a fret leveling, try this... Take the strings off, and place a small block of wood on the 12th fret and gently tap it down with a hammer. This may be enough to re-seat the fret and eliminate the buzz.

If that doesn't work, the fret will need to be leveled. You can try it yourself with some sandpaper and steel wool, or just take it to a pro.

• Members

I had the same issue on a brand-new Agile AL-3000. I took it to a luthier for a fret-leveling and he showed me that it was actually a twist in the neck... no chance for repair.

The good news is that the repair guy didn't charge me for the examination and Rondo has a great return policy.

• Members

I had the same issue on a brand-new Agile AL-3000. I took it to a luthier for a fret-leveling and he showed me that it was actually a twist in the neck... no chance for repair.

The good news is that the repair guy didn't charge me for the examination and Rondo has a great return policy.

Actually, there is a way to repair it, but it's certainly not cost-effective.

On the original post, a good leveling might fix it. Another cause might be a poorly seated fret. On some guitars, though, there are just dead spots in a neck that have to be addressed in different ways, such as adding/removing mass in the neck and/or headstock, or installation of carbon rods under the fingerboard - that kind of thing. Probably not the case here.

Archived