• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&L Legacy VS Fender Highway 1 Strat

What's really the difference?
    good deals with: nearly everyone.
    Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

Difference:

The build quality, the body, the neck, the pickups, the bridge, the finish, the tuners,....... pretty much the whole guitar.

Similarity:

Both look like a strat, both have single coils, price of a used Legacy is about the same as a brand new Highway 1......
    acoustic rig: Larrivee D-50, Stonebridge 32SM OM, Takamine EAC48 Santa Fe, Takamine John Jorgenson, Takamine EC132S Roland AC60

electric rig:
    guitars: ESP CS strat, AJC LP, Ibanez RG1570, Godin Redline1,
    amps: Dr Z Z-28 head, Mesa F-30 head, Dr Z 2x10 convertible, Mesa Recto 2x12
    effects: EBVPJr, Korg Pitchblack, EHX English Muff'n, Diamond Fireburst, Diamond Compressor, Barber Burn Unit EQ, Maxon Phasetone, DLS Chorus Vib, EHX SMMH, Hardwire DL8, EHX Holier Grail

Comment

Difference:
      The build quality, the body, the neck, the pickups, the bridge, the finish, the tuners,....... pretty much the whole guitar.
      Similarity:
      Both look like a strat, both have single coils, price of a used Legacy is about the same as a brand new Highway 1......

So the G&L is in a completely different class?
      good deals with: nearly everyone.
      Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

Comment

I would say so. The G&Ls, IMHO, are ultra uber quality guitars. The QC is unreal. I have a '98 Legacy and my friends with Fender CS guitars are always comparing it with their guitars, often more favorably than their CS. All this and I only paid $450 for it used! So, compared with a Highway 1, I'd say it was a no brainer. Of course, if you really want the Fender mojo (and logo) - it would be the Highway 1. Otherwise, go for the G&L.

Comment

How about the Tribute series?

I spotted a few at what seem to be incredible prices. How do they compare with Fenders or other G&L models?

I'm also curious about the S-500 series...

Comment

I concur. Other than the cosmetic similarities, these two are completely different guitars. I'd have to say that G&L's QC is much more exacting, but if you have the opportunity to try out a few of each I believe you'll find Highway-1s that will compare with the G&L. On the whole though, a G&L is a better quality guitar (I just didn't have that choice; not a lot of G&L's floating around the Dallas shops I've tried).

One major difference is that the Highway-1 is a quasi-vintage reproduction. It has a nitrocellulose finish like vintage guitars, and the pickups are vintage voiced, which also means the middle is not RW/RP.

I think you'd be very happy with either (unless you need hum-cancelling 2 and 4 positions), but play them both if you can and make your own decision.
            Yamaha BB404Fender Mexi Jazz, customizedYamaha TRB-1005Fender Highway-1 Strat, customizedEpiphone Les Paul, Worn BrownTakamine Jasmine acousticTaylor 114ce acoustic/electricPeavey 210TX+ext 2x2x10 comboFender Bassman 150 1x12h comboWhen shopping for an axe, you will probably find yourself negotiating with your checkbook. This is normal, but do refrain from talking to it out loud.

Comment

Yes I too wonder bout the tribues series as they have that in lefty...

Comment

I've never played a Tribute, but hear that they are very good quality and a great bang for the buck. Anyone have experience with these and could compare to the MIM Strats or Highway One?

Comment

I'm a big fan of USA G&Ls for the price. My guitar is almost exactly the same as the one you posted except I have an alder body instead of ash.

If this tells you anything: my friend loves strats - he has a Custom Shop '62 Relic, a mongrel with an original '63 body with '64 neck, and a beat up late 80s USA Strat with Fralins. He's looking to retire the USA Strat because it's not really reliable for gigging anymore and wants a new Strat because he doesn't like to take the Custom Shop and Vintage Strats to some gigs. He's going to get a G&L Legacy like mine to replace it. His CS '62 and my Legacy have a different vibe but we both agree it's hard to say one guitar is really better than the other. They both play great and build quality on both is impeccable. In my opinion, the production Strat that sounds and feels most similar to my G&L is the Eric Johnson, which costs about $400 more.

At this point after having played many Fenders and G&Ls while I believe Fenders ARE good guitars I would buy a USA G&L before any regular production USA Fender. I actually have never played the Tributes so I don't know how those are at all.

all IMO of course
                  My Soundclick
                  My YouTube Channels

'01 Heritage H535
                  '05 USA G&L Legacy
                  Taylor Big Baby

Comment

One major difference is that the Highway-1 is a quasi-vintage reproduction. It has a nitrocellulose finish like vintage guitars, and the pickups are vintage voiced, which also means the middle is not RW/RP.

This is no longer true for the upgrade highway ones (since mid 2006).
                    They have alnico 3 pickups with the middle RW/RP.
                    They seem to be much better guitars too (judging from one new and one old I played, perhaps not a relevant opinion)
                    One, two, five!
                    Rangemaster build thread
                    Telecaster build thread

Comment

This is no longer true for the upgrade highway ones (since mid 2006).
                      They have alnico 3 pickups with the middle RW/RP.
                      They seem to be much better guitars too (judging from one new and one old I played, perhaps not a relevant opinion)

Hmm, OK, mine is 60th anniversary edition (it has the little silver medal on the back of the headstock), so that would be a 2006 model. It has all of the features listed for the current model EXCEPT the RW/RP and the large '70s headstock (my headstock looks like an American). So, I have an earlier 2006, possibly made in 2005?
                      Yamaha BB404Fender Mexi Jazz, customizedYamaha TRB-1005Fender Highway-1 Strat, customizedEpiphone Les Paul, Worn BrownTakamine Jasmine acousticTaylor 114ce acoustic/electricPeavey 210TX+ext 2x2x10 comboFender Bassman 150 1x12h comboWhen shopping for an axe, you will probably find yourself negotiating with your checkbook. This is normal, but do refrain from talking to it out loud.

Comment

I have a G&L Legacy Tribute strat and it looks absolutley flawless. I cannot say the same for the new MIA standard standard strat I was going to buy before I found this one (at half the cost of the MIA Fender with "issues").

I finally lowered the action to my liking and it is the best guitar I own and sounds fantastic.

I am told the components are the same as the MIA G&L's but the cost is halved because it is made in Korea and QC'd in the US. Don't know about the construction of the body though compared to a US made G&L, but for my playing ability, the MIK G&L is all I need.

My son in law just bought a MIK G&L Tele, same thing, a beautiful flawless guitar.
                        "..all the music in the world isn't worth getting electrocuted for."
                        Aunt Bea

Founder - G&L Militia
                        G&L Militia
                        Squier Army
                        Member of the SG Army
                        Bad Monkey Club

My Guitar Stuff

Comment

That's true, the components are all made in the U.S.A., but assembled abroad.

Comment

I own a Tribute Strat and a MIM strat. Both cost the same. Out of the box the Tribute is a way better guitar. The only thing I changed on the Tribute was the tuners. I put locking tuners on it. I have the premium finish on the Tribute and it is gorgous.

The MIM strat has had all of the electronics changed, callaham block, graftech saddles and locking tunners. After I changed it all, it is a great guitar, but I have spent way more on it than the Tribute.
                            Fender Ultimate Chorus
                            Peavey Rockmaster Preamp
                            ADA Ampulator
                            Digitech GSP 1101
                            Behringer FCB 1010

Carvin DC200T
                            G&L Legacy Tribute
                            G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
                            Martin DCX1E

Comment

That's true, the components are all made in the U.S.A., but assembled abroad.

I think I read somewhere that the bridges are the USA design but made under liscense abroad (implying that they're not the same as the USAs I guess?) but yeah the electronics are all the same as the USAs.

As for the earlier question on the S500s, the key difference with the S500 is that it has MFD pickups while the Legacy has Alnico V pickups. The MFDs have much more output and to my ears have some humbuckerish qualities. More low end and power, less detail and sparkle. They will not do the vintage Strat thing as well as the Legacy but they might win out on versatility as they have more capabilitity for harder music. Strat on steroids I guess. Depends what you're looking for.
                              My Soundclick
                              My YouTube Channels

'01 Heritage H535
                              '05 USA G&L Legacy
                              Taylor Big Baby

Comment

Working...
                              X