NGD: Orville by Gibson Les Paul standard 59 RI

lexvandoef

• Members

Yes, today I pickup up my new Les Paul at last. I was already searching for a used Gibson les paul studio, but I saw an advertisement in which an Orville by Gibson (ObG) les Paul standard was being sold.

I tested it on an custom made Jay cattle bass man with muff tube overdrive.

First of all the finish, which is almost spotless. I can't find any spots or faults in the nitro lacquer. It has some scratches bit is form '92 so it was to be expected

Then the specs, it has some really nice specs: Long neck tenon, Lightweight stoptail, Gibson 57 classic PAF humbuckers, Fret-edge binding, HQ Orange drop caps, Nitro laacquer and solid maple plain top. These are specs which you do not find on standard gibsons but on the CS Historic Line.

He sounds just like you should expect looking at the specs, full and punchy. He sounds still real old-fashioned, just the way I think a vintage les paul sounds. The pickups are standard Gibson pickups (medium output), they sound good, but they are not very special, but very useful. He sounds rather tight and not woolly. Really rock/blues sound and hardrock maybe metal if you reallt push it.

He plays also very comfortable, the neck is not really thick, however,it has a nice D-shape. It's very light too, it weighs around 7 pounds. As a result of that it resonates beautifully when you play it.

I compared it to a The Heritage les Paul. The Heritage sounded tighter and more focussed, less open and airy. Much denser but certainly not more squelchy. I think it's better for harder rock/metal. but it wasn't what I was lokking for, not vintaggy. It just sounds more modern.

Also I compared it to Duesenberg 49'er. This is really a another instrument, the 49'er sounds clearer, more Tele meets les paul. Nice however, but simply not the les paul sounded what I zocht.

I now have 1 good les paul which certainly doesn't have to be affraid of a Gibson les paul standard. It reminded me of a Historic R9 I played a few weeks ago. That one had a thicker neck, but it just sounded similar.

And now, for the photo's

OBG-G5_0017.jpg

5_ObG_kop_0033.jpg

IMGobg_0013.jpg

OBG-G6_0022.jpg

ObG_PAF.jpg

8_ObG_kop_a_0041.jpg

ObG_PAF.jpg

• Members

Hahaha you get me now?

Well it was really quite cool, I A/B the two guitars, the Heritage sounded more compact and compressed and modern as the ObG sounded more open and airy and vintage.

Kinda weird huh?

anyway, I'm really glad I bought it, and it has the classis '57 pickups. The neck pickup just smokes and screams Sweet Child of Mine. However the bridge pickup sounds a bit shrill sometimes. I know it can sound very powerfull, it did the day I tested it, but the pickup height got screwed up and now it sounds weaker than it did. Anybody know the correct pickup heigt/answer to my very little problem?

• Members

thnx, I love plaintops too, although a nice flame is cool to. But I really wanted a plain top ObG, cause the plaintop RI always are solid maple caps, and the flametops sometimes are veneers. Just wanted to be sure. Oh and I checked:thu:

• Members

Beautiful-I favor the plaintops myself, too.

AFA the pickup height, try setting the bridge a touch higher than the neck. Work it up and down in 1/2 turn increments (both sides) until you hit the 'sweet spot.'

I've found some pickups are REALLY picky about how their set, so take your time and be thorough.

Happy NGD!

Larry

• Members

Okie, I'll try that later this week when I've got the time to go to my gigging amp.

The neck pickups sounds really sweet though, the bridge pickup used to, but it got screwed up:(

Oh well, just a matter of time and a bit of effort

How much it cost? I payd

Archived