DIRT CHEAP SAMICK Malibu

GarysBlues

• Members

E-Bay auction # is 290111749930, the auction ends in 3-4 hours. Its a BIN Floor Demo SAMICK [Greg Bennett-serie's] Malibu. They are basically Stratocaster's. I have a TELECASTER model which is a HELL of a electric! Solid wood body, my Tele is Quilt Maple Top with a 2-piece Alder back. The GROVERS on this SAMICK are worth $40 bucks! The BIN is $79.OO. I don't know what the shipping is......for $40. you can ship anywhere in the lower 48? Seems like a decent Strat of little bucks. I'm not crazy about the 3 on 3 tilt back headstock on a Strat? But what the HELL. I have the same neck on my Tele. The fret-work, action, and neck itself is in great shape and very very playable Definatly above the MIM Standard Strat neck. Gloss Poly playing surface with a Satin finish on back of the neck. Pretty well thught out and built Samick. MUCH better than the older late 90's $100. dollar Samicks. BTW its not mine. I was checking the price's and thinking about SELLING MY Telecaster. Thats how I ran across this. If I knew body would take a FENDER neck? I would buy it just for the Body and Grover's!

• Members

You know Bro...Like I said, I kinda like the Stock Tele and Strat necks. But THAT neck is a GOOD neck. If they are consistant you are gonna dig the neck. The CLEAR finish on the Fretboard reminds me of the older MIA American Standard Maple necks. Whats really cool is the rest is... Satin which makes it a Breeze to play. No sticky bull#@#t. I though a dozen times about making my Tele look like Fender Tele, and I have a Squier 51 neck for a project. But I just can't see removing the Samick neck. Its to GOOD with ZERO issues? Let me know how it is when it arrives. I'm HAPPY YOU GOT IT!

• Members

Congrats on your find!

I know exactly where you're coming from - I picked up a nice black lefty Malibu last month (EBay #220094150157) for $47 and change WITH a Peavey softside case - shipping was $20!

Love the neck on this thing! Typical Strat body - feels smaller than standard issue Fender, but its close overall length (think the headstock makes it seem smaller, but hell, I even like that!)

These guitars are a steal - dunno why they go for so little - beats the hell out of the SX Strat I bought my grandson for half the money! :thu:

DAMNIT!!!!

Sold... to me.....

I like the Malibu Series..... and hell -- you always need a Canary Yellow guitar donchya?!?!?!?

• Members

I like showing up to my gigs with all different guits... it's pretty funny -- the people who come to see us regularly get a kick out of it now. And for the cost of one gig... hell -- this is exactly why I play..... so I can afford stupid things like this!

• Members

BTW It doesn't have the FUNKY Dice Knob anymore...Regular Tip now. I hear you............{censored} you see me looking out for the less expensive models. I'm not gonna say CHEAP. Cause basically the SAMICK is NOT a cheap guitar. Back in the late 90's they were cheap with Plywood bodies and messed up fret-work. But NOW?.........Hell of a Electric for $100? No-Brainer! BTW I'm uploading photo's....what to show you guys yesterdays score. Ibanez and Michael Kelly! To come SOON.

• Members

Youre looks more liek a traditional Tele than mine looks like a traditional strat. My brother has one.. not a strat but a strat like body (almost like a PRS??) It felt nice when I played it -- I hope that this one is a nice as you guys say (and I remember)

Here's a shot of my Tele. You remember it?
mar10_02.jpgmar10_04.jpgmar10_03.jpgmar10_06.jpg

• Members

My local shop had one of those Malibu strats, cream colored, I was real close to buying it, but managed to keep from doing it. Except for the quilting, I like that tele too, if I see one of those, I probably won't be able to hold back.

• Members

I had a very early Malibu with the maple fretboard. Played well and sounded like a Strat and the neck was great. It was a 5-piece alder body and must have been a thin finish, since it (like my Eric Johnson) was showing the sink lines between the body pieces. The pickguard was doing the typical 1-piece warp like a Jimmy Vaughn Strat. It had a satin Wilkenson 2-pt trem, Grovers and all.

It was my first Strat-oid and it is a 7/8th sized Strat clone. I now have a Samick Royale 3 (RL-3) and it is a great playing guitar too. I love it but with a mostly Mahogany body and neck (laminated maple top) it really replicates my Heritage H150 and 89 LP. It is a semi-hollow, but really sounds like an solid body LP. Just too many dual humbucker guitars (especially those with mahogany bodies) in my home at this time

Mine came with Gibson 57 Classics and will soon be up for sale. It like recent Gibson 335s sounds more like an LP than a semi-hollow. Who ever gets it will get a great guitar. The 89 LP is going away too.

By the way I like the look of the Formula shown above. Another great Samick via Gregg Bennett. I have heard that the Humbucker is wound very hot. How does it work with the Lipsticks?

gt5litre

• Members

BTW It doesn't have the FUNKY Dice Knob anymore...Regular Tip now. I hear you............Shit you see me looking out for the less expensive models. I'm not gonna say CHEAP. Cause basically the SAMICK is NOT a cheap guitar. Back in the late 90's they were cheap with Plywood bodies and messed up fret-work. But NOW?.........Hell of a Electric for $100? No-Brainer! BTW I'm uploading photo's....what to show you guys yesterdays score. Ibanez and Michael Kelly! To come SOON.

Back in the 90's (the day US invaded Iraq the first time around to be excact) I bought a Samick guitar. It was one of their more expensive models and it was an excellent guitar. The pickups were the weak point and the Floyd knock-off wasn't all that hot either but the rest of it was absolutely top class. No plywood there. The neck was wide and fast and the fretwork was impecable.

It was actually my only electric guitar for the next 10 years. I know it was irresponsible to gig without a backup, but the guitar never let me down. I played that guitar so much that there were grooves from the strings in the fretboard from fret 1 to 3. The frets themselves were also in pretty bad shape in the end.

I lost interest in the guitar eventually, so I unloaded it for peanuts when I was on a spree getting rid of guitars I didn't use anymore...

In my book Samick a very undeserved bad reputation.

Sorry, I have no pics of it... :cry:

• Members

The more you guys tell me.. the more excited I am to get it!

Now the only problem is getting a Canary Yellow guitar to integrate itself quietly into my collection. The wife is thinking that the collection may be getting too big for where we are..... haha Might have to thin the herd....

hmmmm.......

• Members

I had a red sparkle Malibu with a maple board. It looked incredible and played and sounded well, but it had a couple dead spots high up on the neck and I eventually sold it. I had got mine for $100.

Did you get it new or used? Do you have the problem addressed through a set up??

• Members

Did you get it new or used? Do you have the problem addressed through a set up??

It was used, but not actually played. It was used as a prop in an advertisement. Still had the plastic on the pickups/scratchplates.

The only way I could have fixed the deadspots would have been to do a fret level and I didn't think it was worth doing on a $100 guitar. I did sell it and make all my money back though.

• Members

It was used, but not actually played. It was used as a prop in an advertisement. Still had the plastic on the pickups/scratchplates.

The only way I could have fixed the deadspots would have been to do a fret level and I didn't think it was worth doing on a $100 guitar. I did sell it and make all my money back though.

Interesting.. my brothers Samick (also a Bennett masterpiece.... :freak:.. not a strat through) feels very nice... solidly built nice finish .. but I haven't really played it. I did set it up for him. The Wilkinson sliding bridge saddles threw me a little. Not sure why...

Are these vintage or floating type trems? I am not all that up on Trem types as I block then anyway... but I remember his being a bit of a bear.

• Members

Are these vintage or floating type trems?

Vintage. I could have lived with the deadspots but I play a lot of boogie-type riffs so I'm constantly flying from down low to high up on the neck and a couple of the frets were choking up....the main reason I sold it was to buy my Ibanez.

• Members

BTW It doesn't have the FUNKY Dice Knob anymore...Regular Tip now. I hear you............{censored} you see me looking out for the less expensive models. I'm not gonna say CHEAP. Cause basically the SAMICK is NOT a cheap guitar. Back in the late 90's they were cheap with Plywood bodies and messed up fret-work. But NOW?.........Hell of a Electric for $100? No-Brainer! BTW I'm uploading photo's....what to show you guys yesterdays score. Ibanez and Michael Kelly! To come SOON.

Dude.. you're Ebayin' the tele???

Archived