locking nut and fine tuners /les-paul

rectifier

• Members

iv'e grown tired of tuning stability problems with my lespaul standard...i tried a bone nut but that didnt help much..so im interested in installing a locking nut and hard tail bridge with fine tuners..i have seen these befor but cant seem to find them anywhere....any clues?....

• Members

dont know about the nut being cut right...but it did it with the factory one also....thanks for the link

In what way is the guitar going out of tune? When you bend strings and or play chords? How is the intonation?

Seems odd. Have you thought about trying locking tuners? IDK, If I had a Les Paul that would not keep tune I would really consider just selling it.

• Members

Let me recommend to you Sperzel Locking Tuners.

Also, as mentioned already the Gibson TP-6 is a great upgrade for your LP, and it is a ready fit deal. Be forewarned that the Schaller fine tune tailpiece would take mods to the posts to be correct, so the Gibson is what works best. I have both the Gibson TP-6 and Sperzels on my SG Custom.

I had a blowout on Thursday at practice, and I had the string off and changed in 3 minutes, locked tuned and ready with no issues for the next hr. that we played.

• Members

99% of tuning problems are a poorly cut nut or stringing problems. It is not necessary to have a locking nut/tuners to have tuning stabilty.

But if things aren't working correctly in that department then mods could be helpful. Not every case is a perfect one and sometimes the guitar could at least have better tuners if not locking. The ratio could be improved and the stability cornered.

• Members

I have actually done this (installed a fine tuning tailpiece & locking nut) to several Gibson & Gibson style instruments. All of these mods were done many years ago, and I used to perform this procedure immediately after acquiring a guitar. A guitar set up this way certainly will have the best tuning stability you could ask for.

Having said that, I no longer do this mod when I get a new Gibson. I have found that if you spend a few bucks and have a really good repairman cut the nut for you, you can achieve good enough tuning stability to get by without going the locking nut route. Of course, this assumes you have a good nut, tuners, and bridge slots to begin with...and that you know how to properly string your instrument and stretch the living hell out of the strings.

The guitars below on the left and center ('87 Gibby LP Custom and '70s Ibanez LP copy) both have locking nuts and fine tuning tailpieces. I set them both up this way in the early 90s. The '99 sparkletop Gibson LP Classic on the right is shown here with a fine tuning tailpiece, but I have since put the original tailpiece back on. There is no locking nut on this guitar and it stays in tune absolutely great with the stock Kluson style tuners and bridge; the nut, however, does not look stock to me. It won't stay in tune quite as perfectly as the other guitars with locking nuts, but it still stays in tune so good I've never been tempted to modify it.

My advice before fully committing to the locking nut would be to take your guitar to another (respected) repair man and have him carefully inspect the nut, tuners, and bridge...as well as your string winding and stretching technique. Once you install a locking nut, you have significantly reduced the resale value on a Les Paul. Also, there is a change in feel/string tension once you slap on a locking nut, though you can adjust this a little by adjusting the tailpiece up or down.

Good luck.

Allie076.jpg

• Members

i might try the sperzels.....i have the same trouble on my esp ec1000...G,B,E strings wont stay in tune....not bad but when it comes time for an open D....well.....intonation is fine....mainly goes out after a solo...on both.

• Members

That means your strings are either put on wrong (slip on the tuners), the nut is not cut right or the bridge saddles catch the strings.

As for Sperzels, I'd recommend any other locking tuner over them simply because Sperzels have low gear ratios which means less accurate tuning.

Archived