Electric with the fastest neck?

J2

• Members

I think to an extent a neck can be "faster". I can play faster on my Ibanez with the original Wizard neck than my G&L - and I think the flatter fretboard and huge frets have as much to do with it as the thinner neck profile does. I think most players will be a bit faster on a thin 16" radius neck with jumbos than a vintage 7 1/2" radius neck with tiny frets and a baseball bat profile.

I don't dislike big necks or vintage radii and frets - certainly great for chording and my G&L has a thick neck which I like the feel of. But if you're talking lead speed, the "shreddier" necks do exist for a reason.

• Members

I agree its the player and not the guitar. I think the Ernie Ball Musicman JPM has a great neck for fast playing.

But then Danny Gatton never had a problem not playing a shred guitar now did he?

:D

• Members

The Parker Flys have a neck which is conducive to fast playing - they are really thin, have a smooth composite fretboard, and slick stainless frets. The only thing that might hang things up (if it's not too thin for you - it was for me) is the painted neck...but since it has a layer of composite all along the back of the guitar, there's not really any way out of that.

Having said that, as the others said, it's what fits you - but if you find one, give it a whirl.

Archived