Burny, Greco or Tokai?

JaGi

• Members

You talking vintage? You really can't go wrong with any of the names. Check out the Yamaha Studio Lord model too.

For new.....people seem to be going googoo over Edwards. Someone here posted some clips of an Edwards vs a Gibson Les Paul Standard...the results were very very close.

• Members
You won't get a decent Burny, Greco or Tokai for less than around 350. And that's optimistic

I agree. I paid $500 for my mid 80's mij Burny and I got lucky. It was in the U.S., Shipping included, and to top it off it was in incredible shape. I'm currently on a MIJ Les Paul kick and i am ecstatic over the Burny Custom and the Edwards limited model I just picked up. Seriously, I'm as happy with these as any Gibson ive owned.

• Members

You talking vintage? You really can't go wrong with any of the names. Check out the Yamaha Studio Lord model too.

For new.....people seem to be going googoo over Edwards. Someone here posted some clips of an Edwards vs a Gibson Les Paul Standard...the results were very very close.

I had a beautiful Yamaha Studio Lord SL700 Les Paul Custom. It was one of there top of the line Les Paul models. It had an ebony board, real MOP inlays, the works. I liked it a lot but could never get the action as low as I wanted because of a truss rod issue so I got rid of it. Would love to find another.

• Members
Theres an idea of the prices the older ones fetch.

Yeah, thats a cool site. There are some serious guitars there! There's an insane '83 Burny Les Paul Custom in an extremely rare trans Blue finish that I would kill for! and it goes without saying how much I wouldnt mind owning one of the Navigator series.

• Members

All made by Matsumoku at some point if I'm not mistaken. If you're talking vintage, might as well add Electra to that list.

Think your mistaken, Your thinkin the early Aria Pro ll's, Westbury, Electra, early Washburns and a bunch of others which are the "uncle Matty" guitars. Fuggi Gen or whatever the friggin name is are where some of the others are made.

• Members

You won't get a decent Burny, Greco or Tokai for less than around 350. And that's optimistic

memyours025.jpg

old pic. i still see some burnys from $300-$500. Ive had Tokai, burny, and a few others. The tokai seen above sounded great and played well, I really loved the vibe and feel of the Burny. Theyre all Les Pauls in all but name.

I sold them cause Im just not a paul guy (i tried), but if i had to get another, it would be a burny again.

I got mine BTW for tokai ($200) and Burny ($150). Theyre were in a shop for ever and noone wanted them. not tokyo though, in fukuoka and hiroshima, but this was a few years ago

• Moderators

Think your mistaken, Your thinkin the Aria Pro ll's, Westbury, Electra, early Washburns and a bunch of others which are the "uncle Matty" guitars. Fuggi Gen or whatever the friggin name is are where some of the others are made.

Hmmm, dunno but Matsu ceratinly made guitars for Fujigen Gakki, Hoshino and Yamaha/Nippon Gakki.

I reckon it's all too obscure to even fathom;)

• Members

Hmmm, dunno but Matsu ceratinly made guitars for Fujigen Gakki, Hoshino and Yamaha/Nippon Gakki.

I reckon it's all too obscure to even fathom;)

I hear ya, but I dont think they made the Burny/Greco/Tokai copies. Coarse, Ive been wrong I think once before in my life! It was a lot of years ago so I barely remember.....lol

• Members

Think your mistaken, Your thinkin the early Aria Pro ll's, Westbury, Electra, early Washburns and a bunch of others which are the "uncle Matty" guitars. Fuggi Gen or whatever the friggin name is are where some of the others are made.

hmmmm....

http://cgi.ebay.com/70s-GRECO-STRATOCASTER-STRAT-MATSUMOKU-LAWSUIT-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ170118778620QQihZ007QQcategoryZ119094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greco-70s-Matsumoku-TL-Guitar-MIJ_W0QQitemZ200115404892QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greco-1976-ST-Sunburst-Guitar-MIJ-Matsumoku-Made-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ200115205043QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm thinking I might be right about Greco (although I don't see any LPs).

• Members

Burnys from the 80s are amazing!! I have one and it is unreal.. About 11 pounds of infinate sustain.. However, I hear the new ones aren't so good.

I also have a new Edwards and it is a fantastic guitar. Both are made as well as my Gibson studio. The Burny actually plays better.

If you are going new, Id say Edwards. However, if you can get an old Burny or Orville, go for it. (BTW, old Burnys have a diamond type headstock logo, the new ones have this other odd looking thing)

Here are mine:

EBONYIVORY.jpg

Gibby compared with:

LESPAUL1.jpg

• Members
hmmmm....

I'm thinking I might be right about Greco (although I don't see any LPs).

Guess im half wrong. I was referring to the Burny/Greco/Tokai Les Paul copies actually. Like Ratae Coritanorum mentioned its hard to follow being that a lot of those Japanese factories made guitars for the other etc......{censored}, thats like the 2nd time ive been wrong in my life. The 1st time was so long ago I barely remember.

• Members
Burnys from the 80s are amazing!! I have one and it is unreal.. About 11 pounds of infinate sustain.. However, I hear the new ones aren't so good.

I also have a new Edwards and it is a fantastic guitar. Both are made as well as my Gibson studio. The Burny actually plays better.

If you are going new, Id say Edwards. However, if you can get an old Burny or Orville, go for it. (BTW, old Burnys have a diamond type headstock logo, the new ones have this other odd looking thing)

Here are mine:

EBONYIVORY.jpg

Gibby compared with:

LESPAUL1.jpg

+1.... I also have a mid 80's Burny Les Paul Custom and an Edwards Lacquer Top Standard and I'm Happier with them compared to most of the actual Gibson Paul's Ive owned.

Archived