Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burny, Greco or Tokai?

Les paul MIJ obviously which would you go for? Or which do you rate higher?
    Amplification:
    ENGL Savage Special Edition
    Marshall JVM210H
    Marshall JMP-1
    Line 6 PodXT
    Framus Dragon 4x12

Guitars:

ESP LTD H-207
    Schecter PT Blackjack
    Yamaha Studio Lord SL700S
    Agile Intrepid 8
    Charvel So-Cal
    Squier Stratocaster Korean Project

SCHECTER SOCIETY

You talking vintage? You really can't go wrong with any of the names. Check out the Yamaha Studio Lord model too.

For new.....people seem to be going googoo over Edwards. Someone here posted some clips of an Edwards vs a Gibson Les Paul Standard...the results were very very close.

Comment

Looking used, some go for around
      Amplification:
      Marshall JVM210H
      Marshall JMP-1
      Line 6 PodXT
      Framus Dragon 4x12

Guitars:

ESP LTD H-207
      Schecter PT Blackjack
      Agile Intrepid 8
      Charvel So-Cal
      Squier Stratocaster Korean Project

SCHECTER SOCIETY

Comment

Looking used, some go for around
        Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

You won't get a decent Burny, Greco or Tokai for less than around 350. And that's optimistic
          I agree. I paid $500 for my mid 80's mij Burny and I got lucky. It was in the U.S., Shipping included, and to top it off it was in incredible shape. I'm currently on a MIJ Les Paul kick and i am ecstatic over the Burny Custom and the Edwards limited model I just picked up. Seriously, I'm as happy with these as any Gibson ive owned.

Comment

Theres an idea of the prices the older ones fetch.

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/index.htm
            Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

You talking vintage? You really can't go wrong with any of the names. Check out the Yamaha Studio Lord model too.

For new.....people seem to be going googoo over Edwards. Someone here posted some clips of an Edwards vs a Gibson Les Paul Standard...the results were very very close.

I had a beautiful Yamaha Studio Lord SL700 Les Paul Custom. It was one of there top of the line Les Paul models. It had an ebony board, real MOP inlays, the works. I liked it a lot but could never get the action as low as I wanted because of a truss rod issue so I got rid of it. Would love to find another.

Comment

Theres an idea of the prices the older ones fetch.

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/index.htm
                Yeah, thats a cool site. There are some serious guitars there! There's an insane '83 Burny Les Paul Custom in an extremely rare trans Blue finish that I would kill for! and it goes without saying how much I wouldnt mind owning one of the Navigator series.

Comment

All made by Matsumoku at some point if I'm not mistaken. If you're talking vintage, might as well add Electra to that list.
                  Originally Posted by Puckman

I'd have to put "Goo" in there first, personally.

Comment

All made by Matsumoku at some point if I'm not mistaken. If you're talking vintage, might as well add Electra to that list.

Think your mistaken, Your thinkin the early Aria Pro ll's, Westbury, Electra, early Washburns and a bunch of others which are the "uncle Matty" guitars. Fuggi Gen or whatever the friggin name is are where some of the others are made.

Comment

You won't get a decent Burny, Greco or Tokai for less than around 350. And that's optimistic

old pic. i still see some burnys from $300-$500. Ive had Tokai, burny, and a few others. The tokai seen above sounded great and played well, I really loved the vibe and feel of the Burny. Theyre all Les Pauls in all but name.
                      I sold them cause Im just not a paul guy (i tried), but if i had to get another, it would be a burny again.

I got mine BTW for tokai ($200) and Burny ($150). Theyre were in a shop for ever and noone wanted them. not tokyo though, in fukuoka and hiroshima, but this was a few years ago
                      OTHERWORLDLY. Psychedelic, Noise, Shoegaze.Joey Levenson on SoundCloud

Comment

Think your mistaken, Your thinkin the Aria Pro ll's, Westbury, Electra, early Washburns and a bunch of others which are the "uncle Matty" guitars. Fuggi Gen or whatever the friggin name is are where some of the others are made.

Hmmm, dunno but Matsu ceratinly made guitars for Fujigen Gakki, Hoshino and Yamaha/Nippon Gakki.

I reckon it's all too obscure to even fathom

Comment

Hmmm, dunno but Matsu ceratinly made guitars for Fujigen Gakki, Hoshino and Yamaha/Nippon Gakki.

I reckon it's all too obscure to even fathom

I hear ya, but I dont think they made the Burny/Greco/Tokai copies. Coarse, Ive been wrong I think once before in my life! It was a lot of years ago so I barely remember.....lol

Comment

ive played a few of those aria pro ii's. very nice, a bit diff from the les paul sound and feel, but a cousin.
                            OTHERWORLDLY. Psychedelic, Noise, Shoegaze.Joey Levenson on SoundCloud

Comment

Well if i saw one for a reasonable price i'd go for it, always loved les pauls but never liked the gibson price tag and the few i played were not worth the
                              Amplification:
                              Marshall JVM210H
                              Marshall JMP-1
                              Line 6 PodXT
                              Framus Dragon 4x12

Guitars:

ESP LTD H-207
                              Schecter PT Blackjack
                              Agile Intrepid 8
                              Charvel So-Cal