Alternatives to a Gibson SG?

Faber

• Members

I've had the worst kind of SG GAS lately and I've shopped around in the local stores. I'm usually sceptical of the anti-Gibson rants about QC, but none of the new SGs I've tried have been very good, and certainly not on a par with the asking price.

So, does any other company make a light-weight, all-mahogany guitar with the same kind of tone and playability? Most every company make something along the lines of an LP, but nobody seem to make SG clones

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is the first thing that comes to mind. ESP Viper. Everything from lower to mid cost LTD's to the more expensive ESP models.

Viper-400_blk-18b6451bb714cf520bf69.jpg

I think Sammick has something too. Not quite as SG-like, but the similarities are obvious.

tr-1-wr.jpgtr4mbknew.jpg

• Members

OH, that LTD is sweet. Don't like EMG HBs, but hose could be changed if the guitar is good.

Ghavent tried those Samicks, but the ones I have tried have been a bit too "budget" in the QC for what I'm looking for. If I thought the quality was there I'd pay up for a 61 RI, so while I'm certainly not opposed to saving money, i'd pay for quality

• Members

+2 for the Esp/Edwards suggestions. Good guitars at a great prices. I will say that my Ltd Viper 400 is a little neck heavy and the tuners that come with are less than stellar. But then again, I'm very picky. For a guitar that was less than $500 I shouldn't be complaining. It came with a Duncan Jazz and a Duncan Custom 5 as well, which makes it a no brainer, in my opinion.

• Members

The QC might be a little shabby and the price might be overpriced, but to be honest if money isn't really an issue; IMO, Gibson builds the best SG.

For the best "bang for the buck" though, you're best off with the Edwards suggested (or any equivalent Japanese-grade instruments)

• Members

Not sure I'd make my judgement on a floor model that has been beat to hell by 15 year old kids playing Slayer songs. My local GC has had the same 61 RI on the floor forever.

One thing to keep in mind about SGs, they have a certain look to them and aura about them due to some legendary players (Young, Iommi, Trucks, Clapton) that I think conjurs up a certain impression of them. But the reality is that they are a stripped down workhorse type of guitar. Plain and simple. If you need that type of guitar, that is what you'll get and there are few better. I think of US Teles and Gibson SGs that way -- great working musician guitars. Doesn't get much better than those.

My Gibby SG Special is just that and it preforms great for that. My Classic is a bit more refined with neck biding and such but really is similar.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

This may or may not pertain to someone in Denmark

I think you might need to leave that GC and try and find some M&P stores. The store around me has a wall of flawless Gibsons. Mainly because they send back all the ones that they feel are sub-par. GC on the other hand gets large shipments of Gibsons and put all the ones they can on the floor for people to nick up and find someway to mess up.(same goes for amps. At my local GC about 1/4 of the speakers are blown) Gibson can be great instruments but you have to find the right one in the bad ones. same as most guitar companies except you hear about Gibson's issues more because the make expensive guitars and people expect them all to be perfect so when they find a bad one its kinda blown outta proportion.IMO My M&P shop even wipes down the guitars when people finish playing them. :thu:

So my overall opinion is that GC is a nice place on a weekday to play as many guitars as possible but when I'm looking to buy that is the last place you will see me shoppping.

Archived