Peavey valveking vs. Windsor

pierce34celtic

• Members

I'm thinking about upgrading to a tube amp, my max budget will be around $700-800, and have been thinking about the Peavey Windsor and Valveking. I'm into 80s metal, (Testament, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer), but need something that could handle some modern stuff with a boost, and have a good clean channel too. I also will have to buy a cabinet within that budget. What are the Peavey Windsor and Valveking like?

• Members

Windsor is a single channel amp, so you'd need 2 if you need a clean channel.

FWIW, I love my valveking. Did a preamp tube swap and am loving my tone again. And the clean channel is a huge upgrade after the 5150.

I am very interested in the Windsor though, may end up snagging one of those before long too.

• Members

I'm thinking about upgrading to a tube amp, my max budget will be around $700-800, and have been thinking about the Peavey Windsor and Valveking. I'm into 80s metal, (Testament, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer), but need something that could handle some modern stuff with a boost, and have a good clean channel too. I also will have to buy a cabinet within that budget. What are the Peavey Windsor and Valveking like?

I don't know how much power you need, but in that price range you could get a Classic 30 or 50. Especially used.

• Members

I've owned both. I had the Windsor for a day, took it back because it was too bright with my cab, and because I couldn't get anything close to clean from it - even though I rarely play clean, when I want it I want it.

Bought the Valveking the next day, have been playing through it for about 6 months. This is my favorite amp of any I've owned to date - and that list includes the Peavey Classic 50, Fender Twin, Marshall TSL 602, Mesa Boogie Nomad 100, and Kustom 36 Coupe - at least those are the all-tube amps I've owned. The Valveking has good cleans and a wide range of beautiful dirty tones available. Now that I've got it dialed in, I live on the dirty channel, and get a nice slightly gritty clean by rolling off a volume pedal. That, combined with the gain boost, and a $40 Bad Monkey pedal, gives me a range of tones from clean to Velvet Revolver to Coheed and Cambria. I could easily get into the 80's metal tones with just the amp, though - I just prefer to keep my gain fairly low and boost when needed.

I got the amp for $499 out the door with a bit of negotiation. For $300, you could get an Avatar cab from Ebay, which is what I did - actually, got it for about $250, shipped. The Valveking 4x12 is about $400, so that'd put you a bit over your budget...The Marshall MC212 is $329 at Musicians Friend, I'm willing to bet you could negotiate lower on it at GC, I know my local GC has the cabs. Considering I actually like the tone of the Peavey cabs when demoing them in stores, another option would be the Valveking 2x12 combo, though I prefer a head/cab setup myself. Ooh, the WIndsor 412 is only $349 - that might be bargain-able to a lower price as well.

Anyway, to get to the point, I'd highly recommend the Valveking, and it should be fairly easy to snag a cab in your range - a used cab would be another good option...

• Members

What did you not like about the Windsor? I was thinking of picking up a used Marshall 2x12 with V30s, would this be a good cab for the Valveking?

I think that'd be a great cab for the Valveking.

I'm assuming you're asking the other guy what he didn't like, sinve I already gave my reasons :).

• Members

I use my VK100H with my home brew 212 and it sounds great.

My 212 is 14" deep, roughly fashioned after the G-flex. stupendous low end.

If I were to buy a 212 I'd probably go for an avatar vintage simply because you can put any combination of speakers in it that they offer, and they are more than willing to discuss your tone with you and get you what you need.

• Members

I took my valveking back when i got it for christmas in my opinion might not be everyones opinion but its was just plain stale amp there was no life to it even with my tube screamer in front of it and i did give it a month and then i just settled with a ad50vt vox which was quite alot better fast forward to present time yesterday i just bought a windsor and i cab and in my opinion its a much better amp and sounds great in my opinon and i also play thrash since im in a thrash band and i also like to full around with some modern metal like LOG, Necrophagist, bands of that nature, it can do the thrash metal all by itself but once you put a boost in front of it, it just comes to life and sounds great

oh yeah and it loves heritage's and greenbacks :thu:

• Members

I had a valveking 50 watt combo. It was alright, but I sold it when I picked up a crate blue voodoo 120H & an avatar 4x12 with eminence legends. I hooked up the combo to the cab, but in my opinion it lacked compared to the crate. The crate was better in every way, clean better & the gain channel was better to me. The peavey gain sounded more muffled through the same cab & the crunch was less clear & tight.

Maybe the Valveking head would be better. Plus the USA Crate was built much better.

• Members

I personally love my ValveKing, and I have it paired with a Marshall 2x12 cabinet I got for cheap at my local guitar place. I like the tone I get from it, the only thing that makes me a little disappointed is when switching channels, there is a considerable delay. I'm not sure if this is a universal issue or if its just mine, its not that big of a deal for me since I dont do much switching in the middle of songs. I think it is a very good amp though. Might put some new tubes in just to experiment. Hope this helps.

• Members

First of all, nice moniker! Sorry the Celtics missed the first pick in the draft after sucking all season. That hurts. :mad:

Anyway, the windsor is NOT a terrible amp. It is, however, a one-trick pony. If you don't like that trick, then you won't like it. After I played it I was shocked it hasn't been more popular because it is the tits for hard/stoner/classic rock sounds on a budget. To be fair, though, it has NO usable clean sound because it gets dirty so fast, and it sounds best when you really crank it up through a good cab.

If you want a clean sound, you should get the Valveking. It's a good sounding amp, too, and much more versatile.

• Members

I think the valveking 100-watt head will do what you want nicely. I use the overdrive channel et with moderate gain and just clean the tone up with my guitar volume. At around 5 its gets a nice overdrive, but can get clean when I pick softly. When I crank the guitar volume to 10, it sings nicely. I tend to think of my settings as kind of like old Allman brothers stuff. I can get some reasonable cleans and singing lead tones without switching the amp channel. However, the clean channel on the VK-100 is very nice with plenty of clean and clear headroom.

I can't recommend it enough. Its cleans aren't better than my Deluxe Reverb re-issue, but they do compare favorably with it.

• Members

BIG difference between the VK 112 and a 100WH. The Larger VKs sound VERY GOOD IMO. I also had a 112 for a short time and opted for a Blues RI which also went in favor of a DRRI. The 112 just didn't have the output. It wasn't loud enough for me practicing! I didn't mike it which is also a option. But I found the Blues Jr louder. At lower volumes there are some impressive tones in it. But once you start cranking it? Oh man it starts rattling and loosing its Tone........................Buy the HEAD for sure.

• Members

Valvekings are good amps. I would (and did) buy one over a Classic 30/50, no question. It's taken me some time to dial it in, but now that I know what sounds I want from it and how to get them, I'm more than happy with it.

Gary, who the hell are you practicing with? Keith Moon? I agree that the head version is better than the combos, but if the combo isn't loud enough, you must be really making some serious noise when you practice!

Alex, that delay when switching channels is something Peavey has recognized and you should be able to take the amp into a Peavey tech to have it fixed under warranty... all you have to do is remove a certain capacitor. Read up on the Peavey message boards to find out more. You can do it yourself, but that'll void any warranty you have. Oh, and nice avatar :cool:

• Members

Some Valve King sugestions:

-drop a 12at7 in the first preamp spot to smooth the lead channel out

-keep the gain below 6 or so... 4-5 is the real sweetspot

-stay away from the amp's boost function. instead...

-use a tube screamer/bad monkey to boost

-keep the reverb LOW or at least pick softly... the reverb can get out of control pretty fast.

I tend to keep it in full a/b mode on the texture knob, but if you want to crank the clean channel and get some breakup, turn it over to full class a and it will break up much sooner than the a/b side. Kind of a nice feature.

Archived