Moving to Louisville, KY. Anyone in that area with recommendations?

Audix99

• Members

I'm moving to Louisville, KY next week, and I'd like to see if anyone in that area has any recommendations for music stores there.

There's no Guitar Center in Louisville, but are there any stores with good selections with reasonable prices?

I found Guitar Emporium from directory, and that place seemed to be pretty big for a local store. Any feedback on that place?

Thanks in advance, guys!!!

• Members
I'm moving to Louisville, KY next week, and I'd like to see if anyone in that area has any recommendations for music stores there.

There's no Guitar Center in Louisville, but are there any stores with good selections with reasonable prices?

I found Guitar Emporium from directory, and that place seemed to be pretty big for a local store. Any feedback on that place?

www.guitar-emporium.com has a lot of classic Gibsons and Fenders along with some new stuff. Mom's music has some great amps. And the doo wop shop has a lot of odds and ends.

• Members

I live in Louisville and have to second the Guitar Emporium recommendation - very fair prices even on vintage gear. We have a Music Go Round that drains my wallet on a regular basis - tons of gear turnover in that store. I literally try to stop in at least once a week and ALWAYS find something of interest. For an upper end music store there is First Quality music which I think is currently our only Gibson dealer - they have all the nice pricey guitars that other stores are afraid to carry! Relax, though, they have a room dedicated to the cheap ones as well !!! Welcome and enjoy Louisville! It is a strange town!!!

• Members

yeah...not to mention guitar emporium will give you the best prices you will find anywhere on trade-ins. Their used prices on gear are also great. I've bought and sold a ton of stuff there, and they keep me wanting to go back to buy more. There's a place called Unkle Sams Jamms, but I can't remember exactly where it is. I haven't lived in louisville in a year or so. Actually...found their website http://www.showcasemusiciansdepot.net/index2.html

There should be an address or directions or something there.

• Members

Thanks so much for the info, guys!!!
Seems that Guitar Emporium is the place to go.
Music Go Round sounds very cool place to check as well.

It's not like I have to have GC. I just like their selection and price.
Not fond of their sales people, but I can deal with that.

But it seems I won't have to drive to Lexington to go to GC.
I think I'll be more than happy with Guitar Emporium, Music Go Round, and other places in Louisville.

Thanks again!!!

• Members

And if you Really have to have have Guitar Center, there's one in Lexington, not too far away.

Williamh, How do you like Gibson's in Corbin?

there aren't quite words to express the loathing I've come to feel towards that establishment. Their stuff isn't that great, and their customer service and prices are terrible.

• Members

It's nice to hear that Guitar Emporium is still in business. I was in there about 10 years ago. I had a vintage reissue Brazilian Rosewood Martin D-28 that Gruhn's didn't want to give me any money for. I was just looking to trade it in for 3,500 store credit (not cash) Gruhn's gave me crap about how nobody plays drednaughts any more since Eric Clapton played a 000-28 unplugged on MTV and they'd really be doing me a favor to take it off my hands for 2,000 STORE CREDIT. So basically I'm giving them a guitar that retailed (in 1995) for 4 grand in order to walk away with stuff they paid about a grand for.
Horrible. But Guitar Emporium was happy to make the deal. I got a nice J200 that retailed for 2,300 and a nice Martin D1-12 for a grand and the balance on strings. Great experience and a fair trade in. Nowdays I'd probably sell on Ebay but I wasn't hooked up with that yet. Nobody was.

The J200 is the blonde one. At that time they seemed to have more acoustics than electrics but Ican't say how they are now.

gibson

• Members

there aren't quite words to express the loathing I've come to feel towards that establishment. Their stuff isn't that great, and their customer service and prices are terrible.

Here and I thought it was just me! What was that price on the MIM strat, 540 was it?

And they are PUSHY too. Try going in and asking for stuff they don't have. I was looking for DR High Beams for my 5-string bass, barely had any bass strings at all, and forget 5 string sets. If they don't have it they will question and almost ridicule that you want something that they don't have.

I live in London, and I've begun to just plan a trip to Lexington for the GC before I'll go in there.

Archived