Greg Bennett (samick) Guitar

MacTreoUser

• Members
Bennet = pretty good

TLBonehead, what is painted on the said of that van?

Nothing. I accidently had my camera on a setting that adds these cute little "pretties" to pictures. I couldn't figure it out at first when I saw the pics.:idea:Oops!

• Members

I owned an av6 a few years ago. Very decent lp copy. They are a good value used, new you can do better for the near $700 they go for. I have seen a few places blow them out for around $400. IMO the headstock is on the small side for the lp body style and the stock sdd pickups are mediocre.

• Members

Considering that Samick made over half the world's guitars for many years, their own label is indeed pretty good. I have two RL-3s now. One was new from a music store's eBay auction. The other from a HCGF member. If the new one was truly "out-of-the-box" new, I can say that it was set up better than 90% of the new guitars you find hanging in stores regardless of brand.

The pickups and electronics are the weak spot; same as all of the Asian guitars.

Actually, I guess the headstock design is probably the weakest thing with the Greg Bennett models. They'd sell a lot more guitars if they redesigned that headstock!

• Members

I've found every Samick I've played to be very mediocre. For the cost of most of them, you can get a nice Fender or Epi that will blow the samick away.

Considering that they made most of those guitars that is pretty funny. :rolleyes:

Samick is the world's largest guitar manufacturer. I doubt that they would put their name on their signature line with factory seconds or garbage.

The GB series are good guitars, I've got a UM-3 and just sold an AV6 for very cheap. I will say that the DD pickups aren't the greatest, but they are better than many other import guitar's stock pickups. A set of GFS can fix that for pretty cheap.

The one thing about GB guitars is that the neck is always spot on in my experience. The only guitars I have ever owned that didn't need some dressing or setting up and that includes all of my MIA guitars which include Gibson and Fender. The only reason why fret leveled the AV6 before I sold it was because I had played the crap out of it and had some wear.

• Members

I have a D1 (i think) acoustic by them. Definitely not the best sounding guitar in the world but oh my...in my 4 years of owning it I have had to tune it maybe 20 or less times (not including string changes). Very stable as far as tuning goes.

• Members

Wow...seems a lot of player own a Greg Bennett.Erm..some said Good some said Bad...I think that's our own opinion..it's a Good references!!

Myself,own the Cobra (Duncan Design Old School HH).what i feel,Quite Good Result.

I found that a lot of Fender Strat user not really play the sound right.So,i might say is the 'Moder wear the Clothes and not the Clothes to choose the Master'!!

Come on,who else own the Greg Bennett?please give us your attachment picture and your opinion after used!!

What pickup will you fix for your Greg Bennett..let's share about it!!:love:

• Members

I have a Samick endorsement and have played many of their guitars and I think they may be a little better on average than most Epiphones I've played. They sent over 20 guitars and I hung onto four of them. I sent some great ones back but the ones I kept are exeptional. The pickups got swapped on all of the ones I kept but I do that with just about every guitar I own.

My favorite has been the Royale. Another really great model they make is the Blackbird solid body acoustic/electric. Here some shots with the three I have used at live shows.

KentRoyale4.jpg

KentAvionl.jpg

Rockwell.jpg

• Members

I have a Samick endorsement and have played many of their guitars and I think they may be a little better on average than most Epiphones I've played. They sent over 20 guitars and I hung onto four of them. I sent some great ones back but the ones I kept are exeptional. The pickups got swapped on all of the ones I kept but I do that with just about every guitar I own.

My favorite has been the Royale. Another really great model they make is the Blackbird solid body acoustic/electric. Here some shots with the three I have used at live shows.

KentRoyale4.jpg
KentAvionl.jpg
Rockwell.jpg

wow man!!!You are cool...haa...endoresment?mean you are the endoser?wow...

So,You are happy with Samick??Will you highly recommend it to us??

What's the second picture's model...Avion??

How about the model like Fastback,Cobra,Malibu...??

• Members

I had a Formula II which is exactly like tlbonehead's. They are a pretty cool Tele. The pups were so-so. As mentioned. But I thought the QC on that particular Samick was very good. The Greg Bennett series in general gets very good reviews from Guitar Player mag also. In their last shoot-out with Best Electrics under $500. The Samick Greg Bennetts did exceptionally well.

• Members

wow man!!!You are cool...haa...endoresment?mean you are the endoser?wow...

So,You are happy with Samick??Will you highly recommend it to us??

What's the second picture's model...Avion??

How about the model like Fastback,Cobra,Malibu...??

The Royale is best sounding of the three pictured. The Avion is the best player and the Rockwell (Explorer-type and discontinued) is just cool as hell. The Fastback and Malibu models really did nothing for me but that is more of a personal thing. Another really great guitar we got was the Ultramatic.

The endorsement deal is great but to be honest the last thing I needed when we got the deal was more guitars. I already had 12 including some very nice instruments. The cool thing was that since I wasn't desperate for guitars we took our time and chose the ones that really played and sounded the best.

I would have to recommend checking Samick out if you are in the market for a guitar in the $500 to $700 price range. I'm not just saying that since I have an endorsement. If I thought they were crap I would just keep quiet.

Here are some other nice instruments they sent:

AV.jpg

Bass.jpg

• Members

I've found every Samick I've played to be very mediocre. For the cost of most of them, you can get a nice Fender or Epi that will blow the samick away.

I totally disagree. Not only does(did) Samick make the Korean versions of most of the big manufacturers, bang for the buck I'd say they are a great guitar.

I have a UM4 (Wilkinson) that would have been an awesome guitar at 3X the price. As it was I picked mine up for $220.

• Members

I have a Greg Bennett AV3 les paul and a Royale semi hollow. After changing the pickups these guitars sound and play great. I bought the AV3 after selling my Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. IMHO it plays as well and after changing the pickups to GFS FAT PAF's it sounds better than my Gibson did. Of course I'm comparing a full humbucker to the deluxe's mini-humbucker.

• Members

I totally disagree. Not only does(did) Samick make the Korean versions of most of the big manufacturers, bang for the buck I'd say they are a great guitar.

I have a UM4 (Wilkinson) that would have been an awesome guitar at 3X the price. As it was I picked mine up for $220.

HAA...Good say...

so,JC..you are highly recommed it to us??

But,what model else did you owned?share more bout it to us...it's important..:blah:

• Members

I have a Greg Bennett AV3 les paul and a Royale semi hollow. After changing the pickups these guitars sound and play great. I bought the AV3 after selling my Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. IMHO it plays as well and after changing the pickups to GFS FAT PAF's it sounds better than my Gibson did. Of course I'm comparing a full humbucker to the deluxe's mini-humbucker.

wow...transformer??haa...

So,in your opinion Avion did a good job ,Royale as well...!!

what about others?? Fastback,Cobra,Malibu...??

Archived