Spalted wood: dangerous?

Rellik2

• Members

I was reading about spalted wood, and I didn't realize that what causes the spalting is the fungus that sets in during the natural decay of the wood (most often maple). I also found out that it's dangerous to work with spalted wood due to the fungal content, which is awakened from its dormancy by the moisture in the lungs...

Now, I'm completely ignorant of all wood-related matters, so this is probably a stupid thing to ask, but would owning a guitar with a 1/16" spalted maple top on the body be dangerous at all? What if you ran it into a wall and generated some dust or something... I also read that spalted maple is softer than other maple, so that's something I'm concerned about too. :freak:

It's all probably nothing to worry about... but I would have just moved on from the spalted to something else if spalted didn't win hands-down for looks :thu::thu::thu: any cherry burst or black with gold hardware or white or silver burst just can't compete... don't you agree?

al2000natspotted5a.jpg

:D

• Members

Woods typically go through a kiln as part of the drying process. So, anything previously alive in or on the wood does not survive this process. Your guitar is completely safe and if you ever decided to make a guitar yourself using spalted wood (ie:Maple, etc.) you would be safe as well. Don't forget that Birdseye Maple, Mahogany, etc. is formed due to the wood being diseased.

• Members

I ain't touching no spalted wood. I don't want no fungus growing in my lungs. I ain't gonna depend on no poly coating nor (not very hot) wood-drying kiln to keep spores offa me. Spores are bad. Spores kill.

I saw a movie once where spores got into people. They became crazy, and had growths on their bodies and they ate human flesh and acted weird. No way.

• Members

Spalted wood won't hurt you. I turn it all the time on my lathe when I make pens and bowls. I have the AGile Spalted Maple A-2000 just for that reason. But I do wear a respirator when I turn wood spalted or not.

• Members

I'm a physician an have never heard of a respiratory infection from working on spalted wood. Some hardwoods can irritate the lungs if their sawdust is breathed in though. The woods have chemical irritants in them like poison ivy.

Cocobolo and Amazon Rosewood are two species known to do this, and of course allergic reactions have been reported.

A fungal species that lives off trees would probably be adapted genetically for that host and wouldn't survive with a human as a host.

• Members

I'm a physician an have never heard of a respiratory infection from working on spalted wood. Some hardwoods can irritate the lungs if their sawdust is breathed in though. The woods have chemical irritants in them like poison ivy.

Cocobolo and Amazon Rosewood are two species known to do this, and of course allergic reactions have been reported.

A fungal species that lives off trees would probably be adapted genetically for that host and wouldn't survive with a human as a host.

Well doctor...

You may want to take a look at PubMed and run a literature search at the NLM using the key words "lung wood fungus". About three dozen abstracts come up, some of which are quite pertinent.

It appears that wood-borne fungal allergens causing hypersensitivity pneumonitis is a real concern. Also, the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville recently reported finding fungal abscesses (i.e. infection) in the lungs of a pulp mill worker: http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/reprint/118/5/1503.pdf

:cool:

• Members

Well doctor...

You may want to take a look at
PubMed
and run a literature search at the NLM using the key words "lung wood fungus". About three dozen abstracts come up, some of which are quite pertinent.

It appears that wood-borne
fungal
allergens causing hypersensitivity pneumonitis is a real concern. Also, the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville recently reported finding fungal abscesses (i.e. infection) in the lungs of a pulp mill worker:
http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/reprint/118/5/1503.pdf

:cool:

"hypersensitivity pneumonitis" is another name for an allergic reaction and NOT and "infection". I mentioned this as a possiblity in an earlier post. Maybe I should cut and paste it again since you missed it. Those abscesses in the pulp millworker were a secondary infection and not a primary fungal infection. (I.E. when they cultured the abscess it wasn't living fungus but strep) Even then it was so rare that they wrote up this isolated case in a medical journal. Nice try though.

• Members

The only time it is harmful is when your cutting the wood and you breathe the sawdust. Many types of wood are toxic if you breathe the raw sawdust from cutting and sanding.

You should always wear a mask if there's a lot of dust in your shop.

Archived