Is it normal for my guitar neck to be twisted and raised up towards the nut?

bball_1523

• Members

Is it normal for my guitar neck to be twisted and raised up towards the nut?

I recently bought a new Agile PS970 and took it to a shop to get EMG's installed as well as to get the guitar setup with it's licensed floyd rose. When I got it back, I noticed the neck it tilted upwards towards the nut and slightly twisted too.

Is this normal?

• Members

I'm going to say "no".

Being bent up is usually easily corrected by tightening the truss rod.

The twist is concerning unless the guitar has a double truss rod set up which is unikely.

I'd run it back to the shop ASAP.

Buena Suerte.

• Members

no it's not normal, was it like that before you took it in?

I honestly don't remember. It does look odd. I'm not sure if I have time to take it back to the shop since I'm moving soon.

Do you know if there are guides that tell you how the neck should look, and how to adjust these things?

• Members

I honestly don't remember. It does look odd. I'm not sure if I have time to take it back to the shop since I'm moving soon.

Do you know if there are guides that tell you how the neck should look, and how to adjust these things?

Yeah, there are all kinds of resources on the web. Just google them.

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

http://users.powernet.co.uk/guitars/setuptut.htm

Did Rondo install the pickups and the Floyd? If not, I doubt whether they would exchange it since it has been modded.

• Members

Yeah, there are all kinds of resources on the web. Just google them.

Did Rondo install the pickups and the Floyd? If not, I doubt whether they would exchange it since it has been modded.

Rondo only had the licensed floyd installed. I had a shop add EMG pickups.

• Members

No, it's not normal.

It could be that the neck is just very bad quality, the tilting is not so bad in itself. If it were just that, an adjustment of the truss rod would fix that problem but the twisting is a sign of very poor neck quality, unless of course it has a double truss rod in which case it may be adjusted to accomodate for the floyd rose.

I wouldn't bet on it though.

• Members

What do you mean by twisted? Usually when a neck is said to be twisted it means that the fretboard twists sideways, meaning the bass string or treble string side is lower than the other side usually at the headstock end.

If it's tilted upwards it just means it has more relief. Try fretting the low E string at the first fret and with your other hand at the last fret and check between the 7-9 frets and see how much space there is between the bottom of the string and the top of the frets. There should be a little space but if there's a lot then the guitar most likely has too much relief.

• Members

You can tune and play a guitar neck with a little bit of twist and make the action acceptable. Too much twist and it's a hunk of junk. Here's a picture of a twisted neck that I replaced. The camera is resting flat on the guitar body, and the lens is parallel to the neck:

twist.jpg

This was enough twist so that I couldn't intonate, nor set the action to an acceptable height. It also produced a lot of fret buzz.

• Members

The kind of twisting you see in the neck in jdjonsson's pic is usually a result of very poor quality of the wood the neck is made of. Over time when the wood dry out it will twist and there is no way to compensate for that.

That is why guitar builders use wood that have been stored and dried for ages and why it is so expensive to build good guitars because you don't really know if the wood is good enough quality to use for instruments untill it have been stored for a decade or more.

Archived