Best Humbucker Upgrade for the Money?

Woody_in_MN

• Members

Go to Guitarfetish.com Pretty hard to beat Jay's pups for the bucks.

Matter of Fact......I shouldn't even have said "for the bucks".

The pick-ups are contenders PERIOD! Just need to find the Tone or the set that will give you the Tone you seek! I like the FAT-PAFs? Others wll give you many other opinions. No right or wrong...just different.

• Members

Go to Guitarfetish.com Pretty hard to beat Jay's pups for the bucks.

Matter of Fact......I shouldn't even have said "for the bucks".

The pick-ups are contenders PERIOD! Just need to find the Tone or the set that will give you the Tone you seek! I like the FAT-PAFs? Others wll give you many other opinions. No right or wrong...just different.

Are these the ones you mean?

http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/alfatpafbohu.html

- W

• Members

I'm usually not of the school that "more money=more tone" but with pickups I've never been happy with the less expensive ones. I play clean a lot and need a thick tone that's complex but at the same time not muddy.

Some of my favorite humbuckers are Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, Schaller humbuckers, and Lindy Fralin Unbuckers. I also like TV Jones Filtertrons. I have a GFS Dream 180 that I use in the bridge of one of my guitars and a pair of GFS Nashvilles is a hollowbody of mine. They work well in those guitars but not in as many applications.

• Members

I have a Carvin H22n in the neck position of my RG570 and love it. I replaced the Seymour Duncan Jazz I had in it cuz the Carvin sounded better. The Carvin C22b gets good reveiws in the bridge position. I have never tried that one the stock pickup in the RG does fine. These pu's are inexpensive and worth looking into.

• Members

Carvin Holdsworth (H22). About $55. 12 adjustable poles. Wonderful PAF like cleans and loads of tastey harmonics when overdrived. Had mine in the neck of a Strat and will probably put it in my project swamp ash tele clone or in an Ibanez LP clone project. Its too good to sit in the drawer.

• Members

I was going to post a similar thread Woody. I hope you don't mind me joining your thread as I am looking for a similar answer.:)

I am interested on upgrading the pick-ups on my Washburn J3, but like you I don't have a lot of cash to spare.

The standard pickups are are ok but there is little or no sound difference between the neck and bridge pickup.

The sound I want to try to achieve is a George Benson style jazz sound from the neck and a Brian Setzer tone from the bridge. I'm asking a lot I know, but will these items do the job or do I need something else?

For the neck:

Alnico Fat Paf Boutique Humbucker Chrome H13

or

Vintage 59" Nickel Classic Alnico PAF- Humbucker H54

For the bridge:

Dream 180 Vintage

or

Crunchy Paf High Output Humbucker Chrome H04

Do these look good choices or would something else in this range be more suitable?

Thanks

John:thu:

• Members

I was going to post a similar thread Woody. I hope you don't mind me joining your thread as I am looking for a similar answer.
:)
I am interested on upgrading the pick-ups on my Washburn J3, but like you I don't have a lot of cash to spare.

The standard pickups are are ok but there is little or no sound difference between the neck and bridge pickup.

The sound I want to try to achieve is a George Benson style jazz sound from the neck and a Brian Setzer tone from the bridge. I'm asking a lot I know, but will these items do the job or do I need something else?

For the neck:

or

For the bridge:

Dream 180 Vintage

or

Do these look good choices or would something else in this range be more suitable?

Thanks

Mr Large,

You are going after a different sound. As for me I am going to try "FAT Humbuckers" from guitarfetish - just trying to decide on bridge side, or neck side.

- W

• Members

I was going to post a similar thread Woody. I hope you don't mind me joining your thread as I am looking for a similar answer.
:)

For the neck:

or

For the bridge:

Dream 180 Vintage

or

Thanks

you might want to look into gfs's humbucker sized filtertrons for the bridge pickup. I know Brian Setzer uses gretch guitars and they use the tv jones pickups. GFS makes something similar which might get you much closer to what you want.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/vintagestyle.html

They're supposed to be really good. I have one that should be delivered tomorrow that I will be installing in the neck of my tele. PM me and I'll let you know what I think.

Archived