Post Your Home Studios

barneyc4

• Members

My basic setup is:

Shure SM 58's & 57's

Digitech Vocalist Peformer for cheating on harmonies

Yamaha O1X control surface/audio interface

Logic Pro 7 & Reason 3 on a PowerMac Dual Core

I've got a few keyboard controllers/synths and a bunch of miscellanous gear as well.

If you've got a decent computer there's a fair amount of inexpensive recording software you can use: you'll need a mic and an audio interface (you'll want something besides your basic soundcard).

If you want to go the hardware route, there are lots of inexpensive four tracks, tape or digital. There's a mint Boss BR-532 on eBay right now, complete with a Shure SM-57, for $300 BIN, not a bad way to start (I have a BR-532 myself, but only used it couple of times before going the computer route - time to put it on eBay).

• Members

Originally posted by Raskolnikovs axe

guitars-1.jpg
room1.jpg
room2.jpg
desk.jpg

Basic setup: digi002 rack into the powerbook G4. most of my mics are on the drumkit in this pic - 2 oktava mk 12s, 2 sm 57s, a sennheiser 835, an audix d6, and a CAD e-100.

it's nice having all this space for jamming/recording, but the downside is i dont' have a living room.

Like the Lion Rampant!

:thu:

• Members

I have been piecing together a home recording rig for a while now.

Mics: sm57, AKG d1000, Sennheiser E 609, Blue 8 Ball, AKG C2000B, and a couple of those micro condensors that cost .10 cents a piece.

Processors/Preamps: DBX Mic preamp/processor, Zoom B2 bass processor

Interface: Presonus Firebox

Software: Reaper or Tracktion

I am using an Alesis DM5 electronic kit to play the drum tracks. I have gotten some good quality sounds, but I need to spend more time on execution and tightening things up.

• Members

Originally posted by MojoFilter

Boss-BR-1600-CD-Digital-Recording-S.jpg

Boss BR-1600 CD.

I love it...easy to use, portable, and the sound quality is excellent. Plus, it can burn CD's right on the spot.

I had the BR900 and found it really complicated to use. It also took so long to make a song.

• Members

Originally posted by barneyc4

I had the BR900 and found it really complicated to use. It also took so long to make a song.

Sorry to hear that...I'm pretty proficient in working the Amp modeling stuff, but that's because I put in a couple dozen hours learning the Boss GT-8 first. As far as recording, mixdown, and mastering, there was almost no learning curve...it worked in theory just like the old 4-track cassette recorders did for me.

The only capability that I haven't figured out how to use yet are the canned drum tracks....from what I've heard from others that have the 900 and the 1600, it's the most challenging aspect of the recorder, but once you've got it, you've got it.

Boss/Roland makes a video tutorial for the BR's...that might give you a head start if you still have the 900 kicking around...

• Members

Originally posted by MojoFilter

Sorry to hear that...I'm pretty proficient in working the Amp modeling stuff, but that's because I put in a couple dozen hours learning the Boss GT-8 first. As far as recording, mixdown, and mastering, there was almost no learning curve...it worked in theory just like the old 4-track cassette recorders did for me.

The only capability that I haven't figured out how to use yet are the canned drum tracks....from what I've heard from others that have the 900 and the 1600, it's the most challenging aspect of the recorder, but once you've got it, you've got it.

Boss/Roland makes a video tutorial for the BR's...that might give you a head start if you still have the 900 kicking around...

Hey,

I have a 1600 too. Where can I find this tutorial video?

I haven't figured out the drum part yet either.

Basic recording is very user friendly.

Sample in the sig

Thanks.

• Members

I've got:

an AKG D112 for my bass amp

an SM57 for my guitar amp

both going into a Behringer six channel mixer (the weak link in the chain, soon to be upgraded to an M-Audio DMP3 mic preamp)

and then into an M-Audio 2496 (PCI soundcard)

I use one of these for the drums :thu: sometimes I program them myself and sometimes I get my bro to do them with his MIDI drumkit.

Boss_DR-880.jpg

....and a sequencer that comes free with Computer Music magazine called Computer Muzys, probably not the most stable program in the world, but easy to use and does just about everything I want without too much faffing around.

Archived