Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much is a '68 Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop worth?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is a '68 Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop worth?

It has been routered to accept humbuckers and it has Bartolini pups in it. Plays amazing, has a few bumps and bruises. There is a guy here in town looking to get rid of it , and I want it BAD. How much do you think I should offer him?
    ----------------------------------------
    1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom- Wine Red
    1971 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
    1995 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    2010 Fender American Tele
    2011 Fender Am. Std Strat
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 2203
    1974 Marshall JMP Superlead
    Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II
    Peavey JSX
    Peavey XXX
    Line 6 Spider IV 75 (2) for the cover band
    Orange cabs
    Beer & Whiskey

Personall I wouldn't pay more than maybe 2 grand for it but that just what I think it's worth as a tool to make music and not as some collector's item.
    "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

has he put a figure out there yet?
      Listen...

Comment

has he put a figure out there yet?

We havent talked turkey at all yet. I just want to find out what the going rate is.
        Peavey JSX
        Peavey XXX
        Orange cabs
        Beer & Whiskey

Comment

I would imagine that the routing will be a good bargaining point...
          Punk as f**k since 1976

Endorser and player of "Vintage" guitars:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

Marc man, I think you possibly rock TOO MUCH

The Plague on Myspace:
          http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=247093832

Westway on myspace:http://www.myspace.com/westwaytotheclash

My Soundclick page:http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=484650

Comment

Personall I wouldn't pay more than maybe 2 grand for it but that just what I think it's worth as a tool to make music and not as some collector's item.

+1
            - Gibson ES-335
            - Gibson Hummingbird
            - Fender Strat MIM
            - Ovation Tangent & Tangent Bass
            - Vox AC15C1 - British Racing Green

F-Holes

Originally Posted by GreatDane

the player plays, but the instrument should inspire.

Comment

I negotiate for a living. Three fundamental rules:

1. Try not to make the first offer. Ask him for a number. If he gives you a range, you're not paying more than the bottom.

2. Aim reasonably high (or low in this case). If $2,000 seems to be the consensus, offer $1300. Not so low to insult, but now you have established a nice low floor for negotiations.

3. Don't accept his first offer too quickly. Even if he throws a really sweet number out (like say, $1400). If you leap across the table to shake on it, he will know he's "losing". But if you kick back, even for a few seconds to think it over, maybe even countering at $1350...then he feels like a master negotiator.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
              A study in guitar mediocrity at http://www.youtube.com/user/Jbviper44

Reverend Manta Ray 290
              Gibson LP Special
              Fender Highway 1 Tele
              Squier Strat
              Takamine EF340
              Seagull S12+
              Buncha pedals...couple of Vox amps

Good deals from: sa1126, .homewrecker.; supersonic44; missfortune; AMPlifire; scobro; marchofflames

"Someday we'll look back on this...and it will all seem funny."
              - The Boss -

Comment

It has been routered to accept humbuckers and it has Bartolini pups in it. Plays amazing, has a few bumps and bruises. There is a guy here in town looking to get rid of it , and I want it BAD. How much do you think I should offer him?

'68? Are you sure?

A '68 wouldn't say Deluxe. It would have a narrow headstock, one piece neck, no neck volute, solid-back, and no "made in USA" stamp. They would generally pull $4K-5K in good, stock condition because they lack most of the aesthetics of Norlin-era Gibsons normally considered negative. The regular Deluxe features all started in '69.

Serial numbers are really sketchy back then. To know a year, you really have to check out the features of the guitar, pot date codes, etc.

I ask because the value of a '68 is different than a '70 and much different than a '75-.

Comment

an all original 68 is worth close to 6-7k from what i've seen. the routing definitely kills that.

offer him 2 grand - either he knows what it should be worth and says no or has no idea and you get a probably 4k LP for 2k.
                  Proud founder of the Trailer Trash Tattooed Piece of ****************/Dollar Store Trash Club.
                  Tattoos courtesy of Espi & Alison Casson

Comment

an all original 68 is worth close to 6-7k from what i've seen. the routing definitely kills that.

offer him 2 grand - either he knows what it should be worth and says no or has no idea and you get a probably 4k LP for 2k.

I agree, if it's a '68. If it's a '78 (for instance), he'll have overpaid by a grand.

Comment

'68? Are you sure?

A '68 wouldn't say Deluxe. It would have a narrow headstock, one piece neck, no neck volute, solid-back, and no "made in USA" stamp. They would generally pull $4K-5K in good, stock condition because they lack most of the aesthetics of Norlin-era Gibsons normally considered negative. The regular Deluxe features all started in '69.

Serial numbers are really sketchy back then. To know a year, you really have to check out the features of the guitar, pot date codes, etc.

I ask because the value of a '68 is different than a '70 and much different than a '75-.

It has to be newer than a 68 then, because it definately has large headstock and all of the features of a deluxe. It has lots of finish wear, and the two things that jumped out at me were that the previous owner before him replace the stock tuners with $20 gold Ping tuners. The mounting screw holes didnt match up, so there are a bunch of holes on the back of the headstock, and the pickups are Bartolini pups, not the stock Gibbies. He does not have the original case. It is a very cool guitar , but it needs a new nut and a setup. Nothing major, but definately not a collectors piece. It has been played hard, so condition wise, it is probably a 5/10. I am going to talk to him tomorrow and figure something out. He is a really nice guy and I dont want him to feel like he got screwed over on the deal a year from now. Ill let you know what happens.
                      Peavey JSX
                      Peavey XXX
                      Orange cabs
                      Beer & Whiskey

Comment

This is not a helpful post..... but here's a 68 Les Paul that belongs to a friend of mine. I can't remember how much he said it's worth but I do remember really enjoying playing it!

"Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans..."
                        - John Lennon
                        Videos of me playing guitar!

My original music

Stupid, meaningless HC clubs I'm a PROUD member of:
                        Epiphone Empire
                        F-Holes (Semi-Hollow and Hollowbody owners)
                        Marshall Circle of Tone
                        SG ARMY

Comment

I wouldn't pay more than $1,500, tops.
                          Guitars: Ampeg Dan Armstrongs, Fender Telecasters, Stratocasters, Epiphone Les Paul, G-400, EG-1275, Dots, Gibson SG, Squier Stratocasters, Telecasters, OLP MM1s, etc.Amps: Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50/1960A, Ampeg VL-502/VLA, Music Man HD150 212, etc.Effects: Vox ToneLab SE, etc.Influences: Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood, Paul Kantner, Eric Clapton, Rich Robinson, Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend, The Edge, etc.

Comment

It has to be newer than a 68 then, because it definately has large headstock and all of the features of a deluxe. It has lots of finish wear, and the two things that jumped out at me were that the previous owner before him replace the stock tuners with $20 gold Ping tuners. The mounting screw holes didnt match up, so there are a bunch of holes on the back of the headstock, and the pickups are Bartolini pups, not the stock Gibbies. He does not have the original case. It is a very cool guitar , but it needs a new nut and a setup. Nothing major, but definately not a collectors piece. It has been played hard, so condition wise, it is probably a 5/10. I am going to talk to him tomorrow and figure something out. He is a really nice guy and I dont want him to feel like he got screwed over on the deal a year from now. Ill let you know what happens.

I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for it, and would prefer to pay less. I still find stock, nice condition early '70's Deluxes for $1200-1400, though most I see are asking $1800-2000 these days (but they are sitting at those prices).

Someone had a nice '72 sunburst with a better than average top (looked 2-piece which isn't common) for sell on The Gear Page. It had a professional neck repair; that's a big repair but was otherwise in good shape and he wanted a very reasonable $1150 shipped for it.

Comment

I negotiate for a living. Three fundamental rules:

1. Try not to make the first offer. Ask him for a number. If he gives you a range, you're not paying more than the bottom.

2. Aim reasonably high (or low in this case). If $2,000 seems to be the consensus, offer $1300. Not so low to insult, but now you have established a nice low floor for negotiations.

3. Don't accept his first offer too quickly. Even if he throws a really sweet number out (like say, $1400). If you leap across the table to shake on it, he will know he's "losing". But if you kick back, even for a few seconds to think it over, maybe even countering at $1350...then he feels like a master negotiator.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I like these rules....any suggestions for getting the opponent to through a number out there first? Some people just won't give you anything to work with.....
                              Good trades with DCinDC and Used666

Originally Posted by Puckman

Not all music has to be upbeat...Last I checked, half of Zeppelin's repertoire was boring-ass slow acoustic tunes.

Comment

Working...
                              X