Bigsby technique...

vcnyls

• Members

I think they are kind of hard to work since they have a lot of resistance, especially if you have a model similar to this one.

WildKat001.jpg

But this style without the front tension bar is easier to use and much easier to create a fluid warbling vibrato.

Gretsch6128T001.jpg

I forget their model numbers, (B-3, B-5, whatever) but on the model posted up top, you can make them loosen up and return easier to pitch by stringing the strings up over the top of the tension bar (as recommended by the guitar tech author, Dan Erlewine) but I tried it and didn't like it because it reduced the downward pressure on the bridge too much and thinned out the tone more than I liked.

• Members

Thanks all. As for tuning stability, is it reallly a huge issue? I'm going to buy a new Explorer (natural with the gold hardware) in the coming week or so and really want to put one on it (a la the original explorers from the 50s). Is there a model anyone suggests? Anyone ever put a bigsby on an Explorer?

• Members

yeah I had been playing tele's, SG's and LP's for a while when I had the hankerin' for a tremolo - so I built a warmoth strat (now two) - Now I miss the trem on the LP! I'm planning on buying one of those cheap Les Pauls and getting a bigsby for it - can't be that hard to figure out.

• Members

Thanks all. As for tuning stability, is it reallly a huge issue? I'm going to buy a new Explorer (natural with the gold hardware) in the coming week or so and really want to put one on it (a la the original explorers from the 50s). Is there a model anyone suggests? Anyone ever put a bigsby on an Explorer?

I've been wanting to do this too, except I don't have an Explorer yet. You need the B5, or the B50 licensed one. These are designed for flat top guitars, like the Explorer and SG. From what I hear the licensed ones(produced overseas) are just as good as the real deal, and they cost less too. replacing the tune-o-matic bridge with a roller bridge would help a lot with the tuning stability. IMO it should pretty much be considered mandatory for a Bigsby if you think about what happens at the bridge when you use the vibrato...you have a choice of rolling the string on a bearing, or scraping it over the bridge saddles of a tune-o-matic. Sounds like a recipe for string breakage too. My experience with a roller bridge and Bigsby setup has been pretty nice, and I was amazed at how well it held tune. I didn't divebomb or anything, but I used the full range of the Bigsby and it stayed in tune nicely. It was my friend's semihollow Ibanez Artcore 73T with an Ibanez Bigsby(like B7) which he added a roller bridge to. Very smooth. I have heard some people say that a roller bridge may reduce sustain a bit vs a tune o matic, but I don't know about this. I didn't find sustain a problem on the AS73T.

I've got a Jay Turser ES-335 copy coming in the mail, and I plan to put a Bigsby with a roller bridge on it. Ultimately, I also will be putting locking tuners and a graphite nut on it. I don't believe a vibrato bar is an excuse for being out of tune, and I hate when my Yamaha's six screw Strat trem knocks out of tune. If I cough while I'm playing, it'll probably go out of tune. Hell if I leave it sitting there it'll go out of tune. I figured by the time I changed the nut, bridge saddles and tuners, I could buy a new guitar instead, so I did.

• Members

I've got a B50 on my tele with a roller nut and roller bridge (Guitar Fetish TOM). I recurved the bar a bit to give more leverage. The bar was too flat to be effective or comfortable.

The roller nut and bridge are luxuries, they seem to help stay in tune better, but not drastically. I definatley wouldn't cut up a nice guitar to install a roller nut, but I'd install a slicker nut then the stock plastic ones on most guitars.

I think it's a kick ass idea, just because it's a little weird. Bigsby's work great for Rockabilly and Surf, but I don't really use them for anything else.

• Members

Interesting... thanks for the suggestions/advice guys! And I will definitely post NGD pics once I get the Explorer and have it all set up with the Bigsby... ok, I probably won't be able to wait till then cause I'll be too excited to post NGD right away... but I'll do it twice!:p

:rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

• Members

Interesting... thanks for the suggestions/advice guys! And I will definitely post NGD pics once I get the Explorer and have it all set up with the Bigsby... ok, I probably won't be able to wait till then cause I'll be too excited to post NGD right away... but I'll do it twice!
:p
:rawk:

Don't worry, I'm going to do the same thing when I get my Jay Turser :love:

Archived