Adam Jones' guitar tone

docjeffrey

• Members

My son and I saw Tool last Wed night in Colorado Springs, and I must say that these guys have some of the best live sound that I have heard. Adam Jones had his Gibson Silverburst Les Paul thru his Diezel stacks (same setup as last summer). From where we sat, the amps were aimed directly at us, so we really got a barrage of big guitar tone. The most impressive thing about his playing is the transition from clean to metal. It's amazing how a single guitar can do that so seamlessly. He played the Silverburst on every song.

The only issue was that, with the amps aimed directly at us, Maynard's vocals were lost in the mix from time to time, but it was great to hear the guitar.

Einsteintop.jpg

491043.jpg

adamjones0bu.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am not a huge Tool fan but the guitar tone on that song "The Pod" (or something like that...a somewhat newer song on the radio quite a bit) is sick. I thought that he used mostly VHT stuff in studio?

He may use VHT in the studio. I don't keep up on those things. Another song on the 10,000 Days album that I think has great metal tone is Jambi. Sounds like a Harley Davidson.

• Members

Killer stuff, Jeff. I've seen Tool live last year, and just picked up tickets for the June 1st show in Ohio.

Adam has definitely fine-tuned his guitar tone, it sounds great!

If you like 10,000 Days, you'll love the new set. Wings for Marie/10,000 Days builds to this frenzied, laser drenched sonic wonder that has to be heard in person to be believed. The bass sound is so tight--you can feel the speakers moving the air inside the arena.

Missing from the current set is Opiate, The Pot, Pu{censored}, and The Grudge, but they've kept 46 and 2, Aenima, Lateralis Stinkfist, etc. The show went for two hours exactly. I appreciate the fact that they don't go off stage and make the audience beg for an encore. I've noticed that a lot of bands are starting to do that.

• Members

his silverbursts are late 70's early 80's with the odd greenish burst. the metal flake was said to give the guitar a unique tone. The guitar is loaded with a SD JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I believe a majority of his clean playing is done by backing off the volume which is how he gets the smooth transition.

284089223_3b13eccaee_b.jpg

• Members

I haven't seen Tool live but the videos I've seen on Youtube make it look like they basically do note-for-note reproductions of their studio stuff. Am I being an assumptive jackass or do they really nail their studio sound that accurately on-stage?

• Members

live he uses the 2 Diezels and the Superbass. in the studio for 10,000 days they had the Diezels, the Superbass, Rectifier, i believe a VHT, and a few other amps that were all used at one time or another, but not all together on all tracks. they mixed and matched.

but i agree...Adam has one of the best tones ever, even in the earlier days. i love that Superbass crunch on Undertow!

• Members

I haven't seen Tool live but the videos I've seen on Youtube make it look like they basically do note-for-note reproductions of their studio stuff. Am I being an assumptive jackass or do they really nail their studio sound that accurately on-stage?

No theyre pretty fukin amazing live.

• Members

Adam has been one of my biggest inspirations for the last 8 years or so. His riffs aren't overly complicated, but have amazing feeling in them and his mastering of feedback is incredible.

That whole band is like that....individually, they're not doing anything exceptionally technical (with the exception of some of the drum stuff and the meters), but they write such completely kick ass stuff that the whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

• Members

"his silverbursts are late 70's early 80's with the odd greenish burst. the metal flake was said to give the guitar a unique tone. The guitar is loaded with a SD JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I believe a majority of his clean playing is done by backing off the volume which is how he gets the smooth transition.

"

I don't think that is correct. He has one duncan for in the guitar and I think the other is the stock pup. I have a poster out of Guitar World of him holding the guitar and its one covered pup and one Duncan. I'll do some more research. I also read it seems that the one SD is a Distortion.

I've seen Tool three times, always excellent. Saw them last September on b-day and it was an amazing show. They are playing again here next Wednesday. Tickets went on sale like 2 weeks before the show, really strange -- there was little promotion and no notice about this new show. It is already sold out -- by the time I found out about it, only nose blood on the side of the stage was left. Kind of cool what they are doing, they played a 17K seat arena and sold it out last year in Dallas and on this leg, it appears they are playing smaller places in smaller cities, this week's show is in Ft. Worth (30 miles from Dallas) at the convention center which holds like 6K people. They did the same thing on the Lateralus tour.

Archived