'79 Tokai Les Paul reborn LS50...

Dr. Strangelove

• Members

If the price is fair, you should be able to get your money back if you decide to sell. Even the "lower end" 80's Tokais are fetching lots of cash, especially the Reborns. Especially the Reborns! I think the only thing that differentiates the lower end LS50s and the higher end models is the number of pieces used for the bodies as well as plain vs. flame tops.

• Members

LS 50 is the low end.

To clarify.

What is a LS50 today is totally different than a LS50 in 1979.

The Reborns are very respected Tokais.

Some feel better than the Love Rocks.

Today the plaintop is called the LS80.

There is also the LS135.

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/

Go here

www.tokairegistry.com

or

http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/

To find out which one people feel the Reborn LS50 compares to.

Lots of info.

Just remember LS50 stands for Lp Standard 50'000 yen.

So the LS80 is Lp Standard 80'000yen.

Shows you how much the plaintop model has increased in price over time.

You will find this with many MIJ guitars.

My Edwards LPC Sykes was the ELP85CD JS in '06.

It is now the ELP92CD JS for '07.

It went from 85,000yen to 92,000yen.

• Members

I have a 1978 LS-60 and it is one fabulous guitar. It does not have a pancake body and has a one piece back. HEAVY though...I bet it weighs 10 pounds, but it sounds fantastic and plays great too...somebody had changed the p`ups to Duncans and added 3 pull up pots for 75% of the Jimmy Page mod so it`s probably no longer a collectors item but for $200.oo I am not complaining. I`d never find one at that price on line today though...too many guys looking and sellers know it. Fortunately I live in a smaller city with not nearly as many folks searching for the old MIJs so I`ve been real lucky. Secret is...go to the used gear shops often, 2 - 3 times a week and be prepared to buy on the spot...I keep my credit card at zero for just that reason.

• Members

I had a 85 LS-50 I sold. They are FANTASTIC LP copys.

They are closer to late 50's Les-Pauls than production line Les-Pauls. Long-Neck tenons and proper specs are part of the equation.

Issues with them are the electronics. Many switch out the MIJ pick-ups and 3-way in favor of US built pick-ups and Blade 3-ways. Mine came with a early set of Zebra Seymour Duncan 59/JB set. Which in a LP I thought sounded very good.

A fellow from my area spotted the guitar for sale on E-Bay and bought it. he came and bought the guitar in person. His main guitars till this point were two PRS's a singlecut and a Custom-24.

The LS-50 moved right into his #1 spot. So against 2-PRS electrics that alone is saying alot.

LS-50's have a Poly finish not Nitro though. This is also part of the reason they have stayed in great shape over the years. The body on mine had a 1=piece back. But many LS-50's will come with a two-piece back. the LS-50 is also the model which is a Plain-Top les-Paul. The LS-80 would be the figured top.

There is also a Tokai forum that will give you any specific info you may want. Lot of very nice LP's their. These LS-50's are getting higher and higher in price. Should you have the chance to pick one upin great shape for a good price? I would say go for it.

I paid 3 bills for mine and it sold with a BIN for $850. on E-bay.

Mar07_05.jpg

mar07_04.jpg

mar07_06.jpg

Mar06_04.jpg

Mar06_01.jpg

Mar06_05.jpg

Mar06_03.jpg

mar07_03.jpg

Here are some shots of the LS-50 1985 that I sold. I also showed the OHSC with it. That will have the BADGE as shown in the photo. The case interior are the Green color as shown in the photo. This particular LS-50 had a 60 profile Gibson neck or maybe just slightly thinner. That was a issue for me and part of the reason I let the LP go. I found it very bothersome on my forearm which sustained a GSW years ago. Anywau Good Luck with the LP.

• Members

I have the chance to get one of these for my birthday, what do you know about them? please enlighten me, the reviews I read were pretty good. here's a couple of pics from the seller:

tokai1.jpg
tokai2.jpg

This LP is in very good shape. At least it certainly appear's to be. Whats the Price Tag?

Archived