Peavey Classic 30 vs. Fender Blues Deluxe

book_of_lies777

• Members

I've got 'teh brt00talz' covered - I'm looking for good QUALITY clean-to-classic rock tones - and my very first tube amp.

(I'm abit leary of used gear, so I would be buying new... I know there's money to be saved by looking at fleaBay or craigslist, but it's just a thing with me.)

In your opinion, which would you prefer between the Peavey Classic 30 and the Fender Blues Deluxe, and WHY?

thanks in advance! :thu:

• Members

Even though you don't like buying used gear I would recomend buying a used PV classic. Buy it from a store with a good return policey if you feel you want that security. You can pick up the old style cab types for about $350-$450 used and they are every bit as good as the new ones are reliablity wise. That's a decent saving really. Not to mention many of the used ones have upgraded speakers and or upgraded tubes. I see you live in New England. Try Daddy's Junky Music. They have a no hassle two week return policey on their used gear. Their website lists what gear they have at each store and you can call and have it trucked over to a store closer to you if the one it's at is in a dif' state or too far away. (free of charge and you don't have to buy it)

Why would I choose the classic 30? Well I think it's a sweet little combo for your Rock N' Roll- Blues tones clean to mean. Fender will always have that legendary "Fender clean" going for it that's for sure but (imo) Peavey really got it right with the Classic 30 as a total Rock N' Blues machine.

• Members

I havent played the PV, but i love the clean of the Fender. With the bright switch on, hook it up to a tubescreamer and it really roars.

You could try to consider an old Carvin X-amp from the 80s. based on some old Fenders, bright switch, push/pull knobs. Sounds great too.

• Members

I havent played the PV, but i love the clean of the Fender. With the bright switch on, hook it up to a tubescreamer and it really roars.

You could try to consider an old Carvin X-amp from the 80s. based on some old Fenders, bright switch, push/pull knobs. Sounds great too.

Some of those older Carvins are pretty sweet. Prices are still reasonable too.

• Members

For clean tones, I'd say the Blues Deluxe; at 40 watts, it will have more headroom. For myself, I'd get the Peavey C30. Actually, I bought a Peavey C50 212. (38 actual watts, or something close to that.) I love it, almost totally. My love is only reduced when I have to MOVE it. It is heavy.

• Members

I own both and HANDS DOWN the C-30 is the winner. The BDRI just does not like Vintage Toned Strats. Ok with LPS and Tele's? But the Strats it leave's a lot to be desried. I swapped my speaker to a Jensen C12N and went with JJ's in the Pre-Amp and Amp.

My Classic 30 I built from 2. A Black Tweed and aTweed. The Tweed was the better sounding amp, The Black Tweed hands down had the better cosmedics. So I built One out of the two. I also used a C12N Jensen when I put the amp back together. I put the strock Blue Marvel in a 112 cab that I used with the C-30. Those two speakers together worked very well with the C-30. Gave the amp a better Clean Tone and it already had a nice dirty tone.

Ever seriously Crank the Classic 30 with P-90 loaded axe plugged in to it?

PURE HEAVEN!!!!

IMG_0018.jpg

• Members

I own both and HANDS DOWN the C-30 is the winner. The BDRI just does not like Vintage Toned Strats. Ok with LPS and Tele's? But the Strats it leave's a lot to be desried. I swapped my speaker to a Jensen C12N and went with JJ's in the Pre-Amp and Amp.

My Classic 30 I built from 2. A Black Tweed and aTweed. The Tweed was the better sounding amp, The Black Tweed hands down had the better cosmedics. So I built One out of the two. I also used a C12N Jensen when I put the amp back together. I put the strock Blue Marvel in a 112 cab that I used with the C-30. Those two speakers together worked very well with the C-30. Gave the amp a better Clean Tone and it already had a nice dirty tone.

PURE HEAVEN!!!!

Sounds/Looks great! How do you get on with the shared EQ, Gary? Can you get Hendrixy type tones with the C30?

• Members

Your talking babout running the Fender and Peavey together. You could do that with a ABY box. Then just use the EQ on each individual amp to set up the overall tone if you choose the Y selection on the ABY Box.

I don't do that though. I Run my C-30 with a 112 cab. With a Jensen in the mix I really dig its Clean tone. Which I thought was the amps biggest issue from the get-go. Dirty? Man this baby just SCREAMS especially with my LP-DC Special and my Strats.

The Blues Deluxe RI? Don't let the photo give you the wrong impression. Its just NOT a happening amp for Strats. Tele's...for sure. And humbucker guitars work spectacular through it!

• Members

PURE HEAVEN!!!!

thanks for the GREAT info! I was specifically planning on pairing it with my recently purchased Squier Vintage Modified Strat, with Alnico V single coils, which I love... I'm definitely leaning toward the Classic 30 now.

Do you have any sound clips you could share?

• Members

NO but my NEXT trip to the Music store is for a Toneport. I spld all my Tascam Cassette recorders, monitors etc etc. Thinking I would go digital, I just haven't done so yet.

You gonna LOVE that Tele through the C-30. You know another amp its killer with? When I bought my VM Thinline Tele I demo'd it through a Fender Super-Sonic. All I can say is WOW. Needless to say I been gassing for one!

BTW I haven't done anything to that Thinline. That is serious bang for the buck on the Thinline. I dig everything about it. I A/B'd it with 52 Partscaster loaded with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro's? Those DD's MORE tahb hold there own. The bridge and saddles are Steel. Cloth insulated wiring on the pups like expensive SD's have. {censored}.....Top of the line Production-line Fenders do not have Clothe insulated pick-up wiring? Damn good Tele. Wedgehead II has one tricked out that really came out nice! Check his Shoreline Gold out when you get a shot.

I pur a Grafite nut on, a different String tree. And just set-up the action, intonation, and tuning with new strings...Done Deal

• Members

Search up forumite DCooper830 he has a ton of great C30 clips on youtube.

yeah, Dave's my buddy. He's an excellent player, and a really good guy.

I was actually wondering about some clips of the Fender Blues Deluxe...

I'm going to GC this afternoon - I know they've got a Classic 30, as I saw it there the other day. Hopefully they will have a Blues Deluxe I can compare with it.

• Members

I had owned the Peavey Classic 30 for 2 years, and it's a great little amp, but it's cleans are not Fender cleans. A little darker, a little smoother, I always thought the C30 sounded quiet jazzy when clean. Good EL84-based classic overdrive.

Never played the Fender BD.. but I'm sure it has those great Fender cleans. A good pedal will give you the OD you might require, if the amp doesn't cut it.

Let the clean tones make the decision for you.

• Members

check out the Deluxe Reverb with a nice OD pedal...just a little more expensive and in my opinion slays both the Peavey and the Blues.

yeah, but now you're talking like $850 dollars... :eek:

plus, I don't like that vibrato thing, so that's a feature I'm paying for but would never use...and I do prefer the tweed look to the blackface look...

• Members

Even though you don't like buying used gear I would recomend buying a used PV classic. Buy it from a store with a good return policey if you feel you want that security. You can pick up the old style cab types for about $350-$450 used and they are every bit as good as the new ones are reliablity wise. That's a decent saving really. Not to mention many of the used ones have upgraded speakers and or upgraded tubes. I see you live in New England. Try Daddy's Junky Music. They have a no hassle two week return policey on their used gear. Their website lists what gear they have at each store and you can call and have it trucked over to a store closer to you if the one it's at is in a dif' state or too far away. (free of charge and you don't have to buy it)

Why would I choose the classic 30? Well I think it's a sweet little combo for your Rock N' Roll- Blues tones clean to mean. Fender will always have that legendary "Fender clean" going for it that's for sure but (imo) Peavey really got it right with the Classic 30 as a total Rock N' Blues machine.

I own a Classic 30 and it rocks. I use it for Jazz, blues, rock, everything. It is a bit heavy (or at least mine is)

Archived