How is your Tele wired?

nbabmf

• Members

I have the standard 3 way switch with 500k pots. It came like that and it's so bright. I'm going to get a new switch and do the 5 way Deaf Eddie (neck, neck/bridge parallel, neck/bridge series, neck/bridge series and out of phase, brigde) and I can't decide if I should keep the pots.

• Members

My 1996 MIJ Jerry Donahue Tele arrived with a Strat PU at the neck and a 5-way switch like so:

1) Bridge PU

2) Bridge + neck wired for Strat-style quack

3) Bridge + neck a la standard Tele middle position

4) Neck governed by tone control, like previous 3 positions

5) Neck straight through volume control to output jack, tone control out of circuit

I've since replaced the stock PUs with BareKnuckles (Yardbird Tele bridge; Irish Tour Strat neck), but the wiring remains as was. The only mod I've ever been tempted by would be to lose the position 5 straight-through option and replace it with both PUs in series.

• Members

currently i have 2 Teles (i will most like end with 3..because i have a set of EMGs Tele pickups begging to be used!:p)

and one of them has the middle position wired out of phase for that thin funky scratchy tonethat is UNUSABLE when played clean but at high gain ...gives the Jimmy Page 'Since I been loving You' arppegiated rythm chording tone..

been searching for that specific tone for YEARS and finally discovered it was the Tele middle position out of phase hehe

• Members

I have a 4 way switch in mine.

wdu_ss4l11_01

* Position 1: Bridge Pickup (standard Tele)

* Position 2: Bridge & Neck Pickups in Parallel (standard Tele)

* Position 3: Neck Pickup (standard Tele)

* Position 4: Bridge & Neck Pickups in Series (fatter tone than position 2, and more output than positions 1, 2, or 3)

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Hi all, newbie here, stumbled across this forum while searching for wiring diagram for a telecaster with H/single pickups.

Has anyone used the diagram posted by ylwledbetter68, I have followed the wiring with my tele using a 5 way superswitch, and I've managed to get output from 4 of the 5 positions. The only switch option with no output is the toggle switch pushed all the way back (closest to the tele volume knob) - that could be position 1 or position 5.

I have checked and double checked the wiring and re-checked before installing the switch panel, only to find there is still a problem!

For anyone interested, my tele is a 2004-2005 Butterscotch, MIJ with Seymour Duncan Humbucker neck pickup, and Seymour Duncan Single Coil at the bridge. I think they are both JBs but not sure of this.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

• Members

In the diagram, the switch terminals labeled as out are connected to the wipers of the switches (the switch is actually four single pole 5 way switches with a common lever).

I notice that one of the terminals labeled out is connected to ground in the diagram. If the wiper terminals on your switch are not in the same position as they are on the switch in the diagram then the output of your guitar will be shunted to ground when you select that position and there will be no output from the guitar.

My suggestion is to take a close look at your switch and determine which terminals are actually connected to the wiper.

• Members

Some 5 way switches made for Strats will not toggle all the way unless you lengthen the cut in the jack plate to allow the blade to move all the way. Some can also be taller then a Tele switch and when you tighten down the plate it can push on the contacts and short them.

I put a 4 way in my Tele a couple of years ago. The extra series setting can be useful but it does increase the hum a bit unless you shield your cavities. If I do open the guitar again, I'm planning on replacing the pickup wires with dual core shielded wires.

I have a three-way switch, wired in the usual manner to control the neck and bridge pickups. The tone control is a TBX, and the volume knob is a push/pull switch. When it's pulled out, a hidden (under the pickguard) middle pickup is kicked in.

TBH I don't recall what I have in there for pots and cap values. Probably CTS 250's on the pots.

Hi all' date=' newbie here, stumbled across this forum while searching for wiring diagram for a telecaster with H/single pickups.[/quote']

Welcome to HC! :wave:

Has anyone used the diagram posted by ylwledbetter68,

No, I haven't - sorry.

• Members
I have a three-way switch' date=' wired in the usual manner to control the neck and bridge pickups. The tone control is a TBX, and the volume knob is a push/pull switch. When it's pulled out, a [b']hidden (under the pickguard) middle pickup[/b] is kicked in.

I've often thought about trying that. I was also thinking of a P90 in the middle with just the six holes in the pickguard for the adjustment screws. Do you find you get enough level out of the pickup under the guard ? What pickups are you using in the guitar ?

Both my teles have noiseless single coils (actually stacked double coils with 250k pots and whatever capacitors come in the StewMac tele wiring kit.

I find the tele tone control (with the bypass cap on the volume pot) to be extremely useful. It also acts as a bit of a volume control which helped me understand the original tone control setup on a strat. Even with a single master volume control, the individual tone controls on two of the pickups allowed the player to "preset" three different levels and tones - one for each position of the switch. The now considered knarly sound of the strat treble pickup without the tone control was probably welcomed by players who needed a boost when playing through the old Fender amps - just slam that switch all the way down and go. When the solo was over they could switch back to a mellow rhythm sound. That idea was expanded on with the second set of volume and tone controls that was incorporated into the Jazzmaster and Jaguar.

I've often thought about trying that. I was also thinking of a P90 in the middle with just the six holes in the pickguard for the adjustment screws. Do you find you get enough level out of the pickup under the guard ? What pickups are you using in the guitar ?

The two main pups are Fender SCN's, and under the pickguard is a super-hot Duncan stacked humbucker I've had sitting around for ages. And no, unfortunately it doesn't put out enough to match the output of the other two pickups. I've been thinking about replacing it with a hand-built version of the one Porky Freeman designed for the original Marauder. I love the idea of a Strat sound being available from the Tele, but don't really care for the look of a third pickup like you find on the Nashville Teles.

• Members

thats all I play are teles/esquires

I have them all wired differently

my esquires are all wired eldred mod with a .0033 or .0047 cap on the fixed position and a .022 or .047 tone cap

250K pots

my teles:

Broadcaster: 4 way, 4in-series/2parallel/3neck/1bridge 250K pots, .047 tone cap

Tele1: 3 way, 1bridge/2bridge and neck out of phase/3neck only. 250K pots .033 tone cap

Tele2: 3 way, 1bridge/2neck/3bridge neck in series. 250K pots, .022 cap, 50s mod

switch pos. 1=all the way back 2=middle

Archived