Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A guitar not staying in tune has one of two things...

1 - Malfunctioning hardware.. Take it to a tech if you can't figure it out..

or

2 - an incompetent player..

Sounds to me like you need to educate yourself a bit more on WHY it won't stay in tune rather than whipping out the checkbook for another guitar (that likely won't be any better than this one once you get ahold of it...) Not trying to be insulting, just honest and save you some wasted $$$...

Agree, In my experience some budget guitars I've had won't hold tune as long
    sitting on the stand or in the case as a better quality guitar.
    Quality of the wood maybe, not cured as well?

Comment

Something with a locking bridge and nut would be as rock solid as it gets (imo). I imagine A stop bar / fixed bridge system with locking tuners would be second best.

Of course if you have a heavy fret hand then a solid neck joint is a must if you do not want intonation hassles. For example I would not recommend SG types with a vintage neck joint if your that type of player.
      Locking tuners don't help if the guitar is strung up properly.
      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
      www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
      -For Sale:
      -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
      - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
      - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Yep, it stays in tune great:

Guitars: Ampeg Dan Armstrongs, Fender Telecasters, Stratocasters, Epiphone Les Paul, G-400, EG-1275, Dots, Gibson SG, Squier Stratocasters, Telecasters, OLP MM1s, etc.Amps: Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50/1960A, Ampeg VL-502/VLA, Music Man HD150 212, etc.Effects: Vox ToneLab SE, etc.Influences: Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood, Paul Kantner, Eric Clapton, Rich Robinson, Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend, The Edge, etc.

Comment

Something with the old Ibanez EDGE. Mine will not go out of tune no matter what I do, seriously.

+1, but you trade the stability for cumbersome string changes.
          New stuff every day on Gain!

Comment

none of my 6 guitars has any tuning issues whatsoever

3 Epiphones, 2 Squiers, and a Dean

MOST(but not all) tuning issues usually stem from strings binding in the nut - quite easily fixed.
            My Original Music:
            Goetic Circle
            Ashes of the Magician
            UNDEAD PRIEST
            In the Name of Majestic Hellfire

Comment

Agree, In my experience some budget guitars I've had won't hold tune as long
              sitting on the stand or in the case as a better quality guitar.
              Quality of the wood maybe, not cured as well?

Not likely.. Most likly it's poorly strung (not enough wraps, do 3 wraps on the wound strings, 6 on the plain strings) or binding at the nut (when strings corode, it can come off and get in the nut slot.. Clean it out and put some nut sauce in there).. The odds of the wood actually moving enough to knock it COMPLETELY out of tune are nil.
              Signature...

Comment

Well I wouldn't say it's my playing.

I've had the same mexican strat for almost ten years and I've never been satisfied with its intonation stability. Granted, it's been set up maybe two times in that amount of time, but I feel like I'm more than ready to step up to a guitar without a bolt-on neck, and that just has an overall more solid feel. My fingers have never gotten used to the thin Fender necks, so I'm looking forward to something withe more space between the strings.

That said, I go to GC and Sam Ash now and then looking at new axes, and a lot of the budget models seem to go out of tune fairly quickly, while the high end stuff stays in tune much better. So I know you get what you pay for, but I was hoping I could finally take that step up to a Gibson or PRS (even if it's an SE). I'm just the kind of guy who only needs one electric guitar (and can only afford one), so I want it to be the best I can afford.

Know what I mean?

Appreciating all the feedback so far, by the way! Keep it coming!
                That's a big twinkie.

Comment

I believe that the sense that a guitar is not staying in tune is, sometimes, actually a guitar that is not intonated well.
                  For example: someone plays something in the first or second position, bends some notes in the process, moves to a higher position, plays a chord that sounds sharp, and thinks that the guitar went out of tune. However, the guitar didn't go out of tune; it was not in tune up and down the board in the beginning.

Comment

I just read DammitJanet's most recent post, and it might be that the 10-year-old Strat has fret wear that is creating some intonation problems.

Comment

I just read DammitJanet's most recent post, and it might be that the 10-year-old Strat has fret wear that is creating some intonation problems.

or weak springs.... or all sorts of things that can happen if you dont set your guitars up periodically...
                      acoustic rig: Larrivee D-50, Stonebridge 32SM OM, Takamine EAC48 Santa Fe, Takamine John Jorgenson, Takamine EC132S Roland AC60

electric rig:
                      guitars: ESP CS strat, AJC LP, Ibanez RG1570, Godin Redline1,
                      amps: Dr Z Z-28 head, Mesa F-30 head, Dr Z 2x10 convertible, Mesa Recto 2x12
                      effects: EBVPJr, Korg Pitchblack, EHX English Muff'n, Diamond Fireburst, Diamond Compressor, Barber Burn Unit EQ, Maxon Phasetone, DLS Chorus Vib, EHX SMMH, Hardwire DL8, EHX Holier Grail

Comment

Intonation stability? Strat aren't prone to losing the intonation once it's set. Floyds can, because the saddle clamp screws can slip, but strats don't work like that. It's virtually impossible for the intonation to change at the bringe unless you apply a screwdriver to it. Of course, changing strings (brand, gauge) will screw with your intonation, but you knew that... Right?
                        Signature...

Comment

Intonation stability? Strat aren't prone to losing the intonation once it's set. Floyds can, because the saddle clamp screws can slip, but strats don't work like that. It's virtually impossible for the intonation to change at the bringe unless you apply a screwdriver to it. Of course, changing strings (brand, gauge) will screw with your intonation, but you knew that... Right?

Actually, I don't play nearly as much guitar as most people here, so no, I didn't know that. The thing is that I'm dissatisfied with my skill despite the years I've been playing, so I want to go back to guitar with a more serious attitude towards pratice and learning. And come to think of it, I've hardly ever changed strings and used the exact same model/brand afterwards.

I'm still sure that I want to sell my Strat and putting the money toward a new axe, despite loving the strat tone. Although I've never been able to get a SRV, Prince, or David Gilmour sound from mine.

So it sounds like the tuning issue will be less of an issue as long as I get the guitar set up properly. That said, it's time to focus on tone. I don't play much heavy rock any more, and I'm kind of partial to P-90 tones. My new band plays sort of new wavey electro/surf stuff (B-52's, New Order, Pixies) and I'm not sure what's going to suit that kind of music the best. Someone suggested the DiPinto Galaxies that Los Straitjackets use.
                          That's a big twinkie.

Comment

So it sounds like the tuning issue will be less of an issue as long as I get the guitar set up properly. That said, it's time to focus on tone. I don't play much heavy rock any more, and I'm kind of partial to P-90 tones. My new band plays sort of new wavey electro/surf stuff (B-52's, New Order, Pixies) and I'm not sure what's going to suit that kind of music the best.

Tone is what you make it. Don't assume you can't do metal on a single coil or blues on a humbucker. Yes, some are better suited to paticular tasks than others, but it can be done. If you want a new world of tonal bliss, get a POD X3. You'll have more amps and inspiration than you can ever get tired of.
                            Signature...

Comment

The neck relief could have changed
                              Originally Posted by marshallnoise

Harvard is **************** education if you ask me. Every ****** who has come from there doesn't know **************** from shinola.

Good Deals with- Poe36

Comment

Not likely.. Most likly it's poorly strung (not enough wraps, do 3 wraps on the wound strings, 6 on the plain strings) or binding at the nut (when strings corode, it can come off and get in the nut slot.. Clean it out and put some nut sauce in there).. The odds of the wood actually moving enough to knock it COMPLETELY out of tune are nil.

I've been stringing my guitars like this for years.
                                http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm
                                I wasn't meaning COMPLETELY out of tune just slightly out.
                                I have a LP with klusons and two Carvin's with sperzels that can sit for weeks unplayed and still be perfectly in tune.
                                Not so with many budget guitars I've had even after mods and extensive setups.

Comment

Working...
                                X