Best Humbucker for Rock, Punk, Heavy Blues

burton4snow

• Members

I tried many pickups on my new G-400 only to be disappointed each time. The stock pickups sounded the best. I finally put a Gibson Classic '57 Plus on the bridge and a Classic '57 on the neck. Not a whole lot better than stock though. My daughter's Les Paul Ultra sounds great for Blues on the neck pickup. I refuse to upgrade it in any way, shape or form except for the initial setup and strings. Epiphone makes some good pickups now-a-days.

FP

• Members

Best pickup for punk... that's kinda funny! I somehow doubt that most early punk guitarists agonized over which pickup sounded best. :p

When I was in my punk phase (which was over before any of us had heard of Green Day or any of the newer stuff) I mostly used a Kramer with a slanted JB in the bridge. The bassist/singer had a crappy no name guitar guitar that had some crappy no name single coil only in the bridge and to be honest, it sounded fine for what we played. I usually played through a bass amp and a TS9 for dist, put the volume on the guitar to about half and cranked the upper half of the EQ on the amp.

What are a couple bands you are using as inspiration for your punk sound?

• Members

Best pickup for punk... that's kinda funny! I somehow doubt that most early punk guitarists agonized over which pickup sounded best.

What are a couple bands you are using as inspiration for your punk sound?

I'm not looking for just punk! Hard Rock, Heavier Blues, all around good pickups. Bands for punk are Green Day, Sum 41, American HiFi, etc. and no I'm not 15 I'm 41, but this stuff is just so much fun to play. Power chords, Palm muting, Short riffs what more can I say!:freak:

• Members

I'm not looking for just punk! Hard Rock, Heavier Blues, all around good pickups. Bands for punk are Green Day, Sum 41, American HiFi, etc. and no I'm not 15 I'm 41, but this stuff is just so much fun to play. Power chords, Palm muting, Short riffs what more can I say!
:freak:

Aww... I was just razzin ya! :wave:

I'm not knocking it... I played it for years and if I was to start a band right now, it would lean quite that direction.

If you wanna go traditional, I say a JB would be an obvious choice but nowdays, it seems kinda pricey for a stock pickup. I'd probably stay with an HB for doing chugga work but would lean towards a quiet hot single coil for what I consider punk.

• Members

Looking to put new pickups in a Epi G-400. Does anyone have opinions on good humbuckers for Punk, Rock, Heavy Blues and Heavy Rock!

I would start with a DiMarzio super Distortion for the bridge. The Super D will cover those styles very well. It's a classic.

The neck pup........all depends on what you want out of it. What is it about the neck pup that you do not like? If I am not mistaken it is a "vintage voiced" alnico type so any after market vintage "paf" type will not sound extremely dif.

You could go with something totaly dif' for the neck. Maybe a DiMarzio humbucker from Hell or a DiMarzio BluesBucker.

• Members

I tried many pickups on my new G-400 only to be disappointed each time. The stock pickups sounded the best. I finally put a Gibson Classic '57 Plus on the bridge and a Classic '57 on the neck. Not a whole lot better than stock though. My daughter's Les Paul Ultra sounds great for Blues on the neck pickup. I refuse to upgrade it in any way, shape or form except for the initial setup and strings. Epiphone makes some good pickups now-a-days.

FP

Mmm...the Stock "vintage voiced" alnico type humbuckers Epi' uses are not half bad. (imo) they have enough "vintage vibe" going for them to make switching them out purely optional. Of course if vintage-vibes are not your thing you def' would want to replace them.

• Members

Kent Armstrong PAF or distortion model. I was surprised at how versatile

it could be: more than passable jazz tone, great distortion tone, verging

from an almost-surf half overdrive tone with twang bar to a screaming

fat sweat hog raging lead tone to a great muted chucka-chucka disto

rhythm guitar pickup. You could cover anything from heavy rock to punk

to surf to faux jazz with these pickups.

• Members

I'm not looking for just punk! Hard Rock, Heavier Blues, all around good pickups. Bands for punk are Green Day, Sum 41, American HiFi, etc. and no I'm not 15 I'm 41, but this stuff is just so much fun to play. Power chords, Palm muting, Short riffs what more can I say!
:freak:

Go with the JB or some type of humbucker sized P-90 like the P-94.

Archived