P100 vs P90 pickups

jonesy77777

• Members

What are your guys thoughts on these two pickups?? I have a les paul standard with the burstbucker pro's and was looking for some pickups to go into my mosrite custom guitar to complement the LP. The am looking for a sound between a strat and the LP. I really don't like the strat sound at all, but appreciate the clarity it offers, and want basically a clearer LP sound with the ability to get a little crunchy too. I'll be getting the guitar soon, and already have the p100's, do you guys think these would be what I am looking for, or would P90's be better.

• Members

Hi

You're likely to get nay sayers to the P100 pup. I have a Gibson Les Paul Special 2 with the original Gibson P100 pups in it and must say that it is the best sounding guitar for my personal way of playing. The Gibson P100's that are in my special 2 (1992) are friggin' awesome.

On another note, I have a P90 in my '67 ES125T and love it's tone also. But, that doesn't come without some hum.

The P100 for me puts out a very percussive sound. Almost piano like appreciation when playing, if that makes sense. Hot but articulate...

If hum is an issue then go P100. Again, I'm only speaking from my experience with the '92 P100.

Oh, and just so you know P100 pups are humbuckers also, not single coils.

• Members

I recently bought a Les Paul STD like yours and also have a Les Paul deluxe with Seymor Duncan mini humbuckers(Custom bridge). To get more tone variation I put some P100's in it but wasn't too happy as Gibson uses the same pickup in the bridge and neck position....This makes the neck pickup a lot louder than the bridge.....

I just fitted some Vintage Vibe Guitar P90's to the deluxe and I love them....No comparison to the P100's.....They growl, and the outputs are more even. They do have some hum when playing at home but on stage when you aren't so close to your amp the hum is only slightly more than the Les Paul STD....Now I have 2 Les Pauls with a great variation in tone...

One other benefit with the Vintage Vibe Guitars' pickups is that they come with interchangeable magnets(2 for each pickup) and you choose from Alnico 2,3,5 and ceramic 8 to further increae your tonal options....

Good luck

• Members

If you already have the P-100s you might as well use them. They are a pretty nice pickup. I have an LP Jr. Special with the P-100s and a LP Jr. with a P-90.

I've A/B'd them a couple times. The P-90 seems to have a bit more output and has a more edgie tone. But the P-100s are a pretty nice sound too.

The Vintage Vibes mentioned above get a lot of high-end praise for being good and "correct". Lollars are another brand that gets kudos for boutique quality.

Since I have a few guitars with P-90s, I'll probably leave my one LP Jr Spc stock with its P-100s.

So "good" but maybe not as authentic to the P-90 vibe.

• Members

P100's are so-so... they are noise canceling humbuckers that can get in the neighborhood of P90' tones at times. But, I unloaded my LP Special that had P100's in it because it lacked the bite, snap, grit, snarl and growl of a P90.

P90's are a dirty pick up. When Gibson tried to kill the hum by modeling P100's after a P90, they also killed a lot of the personality and grit. YMMV.

Archived