How do you all take such beautiful photos of you guitars?

Tedddy

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Natural light is great.

Also if you can put your camera on a tri-pod.... that will help get a clearer, less blurry picture.

Also...... if your camera has a macro setting for taking extreme close-ups that's really cool to use (WITH A TRI POD) so you can get pics like this:

DSC02235.jpg

• Members

After reading someones post on here about High Dynamic Range photography, it got me wondering how it would make guitars look.

The following shots were taken using HDR techniques/ software... the only light in the room was a table lamp.

1440675248_5588395233.jpg

1439720045_df06e38b5c.jpg

1440636950_dbebe6a80a.jpg

...I just noticed that the same ball of fuzz (probably cat hair) appears in all three pics :p

• Members

Before you press the shutter release, look for:

Correct focussing

Random and intrusive reflections

annoying/distracting background

attractive framing

Smooth, even lighting

You want a decent amount of light without strong shadows. Mazi's guitar shots illustrate all the above really well: he's shooting with diffused natural light coming through his window, and the guitar is placed on a neutral but attractive wooden floor.

• Members

Oh yeah! My sister has a Rebel XT. Just AWESOME!!!
:thu::thu:

... and cheap now! Since the Rebel XTi came out, the original Rebel XT has dropped a lot. It's not too much more than a "normal" camera these days. People complain about the stock lens, but to be honest, those are the same people that can hear a difference in the batteries used in pedals.. To me, a guy that just wants to take some pics, it's a great lens. I'm sure there are better, more feature packed lenses for $5-600 more, but I'm not into that lol

• Members

Well I don't have a great camera, I am too lazy to take it outside because I need to cut the grass and whatever reason that you can think up I will use. But I do know a few tricks for fixing up images that are already taken.

You need Photoshop to do this one, but there may be ways to do it with other photo editing programs.

After-2.jpg

• Members
Well I don't have a great camera, I am too lazy to take it outside because I need to cut the grass and whatever reason that you can think up I will use. But I do know a few tricks for fixing up images that are already taken.

You need Photoshop to do this one, but there may be ways to do it with other photo editing programs.

damn thing looks the same in the before and after pics

• Members

Yeah - I'd have to say besides a good photogenic subject lighting is everything in photography. If you've ever done a professional photo shoot or just seen one being done those lights are so damn bright you feel like you are getting a tan. Single color backgrounds are also nice - mainly white. I picked up some cool photography lamps at a local camera shop for $30 - $40 and they make tons of difference.

• Members

I'm surprised nobody mentioned bounce flash. An external flash gun, aimed at ceiling (a low, white ceiling) makes for a large, diffuse light source which won't cast heavy shadows.

an example:

1333375564_3ef6d3b780_b.jpg

now compare to a shot without using bounce flash:

174677152_a32f5b7669_b.jpg

for the record, i don't have an SLR. But, realize that SLRs can and will produce bad results as easily as any camera if not used properly or if you don't understand the basics of light and photography in general. They are not the be-all end-all problem solver. you have to know what you're doing to get a great photo out of any camera.

good luck!

• Members

I'm surprised nobody mentioned bounce flash. An external flash gun, aimed at ceiling (a low, white ceiling) makes for a large, diffuse light source which won't cast heavy shadows.

for the record, i don't have an SLR. But, realize that SLRs can and will produce bad results as easily as any camera if not used properly or if you don't understand the basics of light and photography in general. They are not the be-all end-all problem solver. you have to know what you're doing to get a great photo out of any camera.

good luck!

I have an Olympus DSLR and a cheapo point and shoot Kodak. I need to sit down with my SLR because I can't get a decent shot out of it without natural sunlight. So I use my Kodak for all my shots

Photography ain't my thang.

• Members

Any high quality digital camera will do. Mine is a 6 year old Canon G2 PowerShot with a measly 4 megapixels. It's an obsolete camera and most definitely not a SLR. Yet the thing still takes great photos.

Also, taking photos isn't just about the technical things, like light diffusion, and all the other stuff.

Once you've become familiar with the technical aspects of what it takes to mechanically produce a photo that's not blurry, you need to focus on the artistic side of it.

Composition is the key aspect of taking great photos. A great example of this is Josh's photo above of the black LP leaning against a car. Great composition in that photo. Now that's art. A+

Bad composition is laying your guitar on a dirty carpet with your feet sticking in from the bottom and empty candy wrappers and dirty laundry laying around in the shot. F-.

• Members
Any high quality digital camera will do. Mine is a 6 year old Canon G2 PowerShot with a measly 4 megapixels. It's an obsolete camera and most definitely not a SLR. Yet the thing still takes great photos.

Also, taking photos isn't just about the technical things, like light diffusion, and all the other stuff.

Once you've become familiar with the technical aspects of what it takes to mechanically produce a photo that's not blurry, you need to focus on the artistic side of it.

Composition is the key aspect of taking great photos. A great example of this is Josh's photo above of the black LP leaning against a car. Great composition in that photo. Now that's art. A+

Bad composition is laying your guitar on a dirty carpet with your feet sticking in from the bottom and empty candy wrappers and dirty laundry laying around in the shot. F-.

Thread over.

Archived