How do you rate Agathis as a guitar body material?

sincitycycler

• Members

I was thinking about getting a cheap beat-around Ibanez RG120 at GC for $150 otd, maybe upgrade to Planet Waves locking tuners. They have the same Wizard II neck as it's more expensive cousins and they actually play very nicely.

My question is the body(wood?).

I am not familiar with Agathis. Is it a wood? How does it compare to basswood? Any insight appreciated:thu:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am not familiar with Agathis. Is it a wood? How does it compare to basswood? Any insight appreciated:thu:

Agathis is indeed a wood. It's meant to be like alder. It's an Asian wood so it's typically cheaper for Asian builders than alder hence its use in many low-price guitars these days as an upgrade from plywood.

I've got a Squier Jagmaster made of agathis and it seems reasonable; not fantastic, but reasonable. This is probably down to the manufacture quality rather than the wood itself. Can't see the wood itself as it is covered with silver glitter so I can't say what it looks like.

• Members

that doesnt make a whole lot of sense abstract, but agathis is supposed to be a cheap mahagony, sorta like plywood, I would rate basswood as a much better wood than agathis

I own both. I think both are pleasant.

Trying to ascribe a timbre to a timber...is worthless.

There is equal variation in the sonic spectrum of a TYPE of wood as there is between DIFFERENT TYPES of wood.

• Members
that doesnt make a whole lot of sense abstract, but agathis is supposed to be a cheap mahagony, sorta like plywood, I would rate basswood as a much better wood than agathis

Is there anything more majestic than the beautiful fall colors of the magnificent plywood tree?

• Members

Ya if its not Merican wood itsa no good, just like theres pretty much no more Honduran Mahogany but if certain Merican companies call it that ten thats what it is:freak: i LOVE THE TYPICAL ARROGANCE OF CERTAIN assholes ON THIS BOARD.i THINK iM GOING TO HAVE A t--BONE---HEAD STEAK TONIGHT lol------i LOVE cOMEDYcENTrAl:thu:--i MEAn hARmOny CEntrAl

• Members

Anyone that would pass on a guitar...sight unseen...because of the species of wood used, is a fool.

Play it...listen to it...see if it speaks to you.

Unless you are more concerned with OWNING a guitar, than PLAYING a guitar.

I'm a guitar PLAYER, I will own good sounding guitars regardless of species.

I'll try to show what I'm saying...visually.

Mahogany

Warm*++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++----*Cool

Basswood

Warm*--++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++---*Cool

Alder

Warm*-----++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++*Cool

Poplar

Warm*---++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++--*Cool

The - means on a tonal spectrum...this sound could be achieved (just not by this wood).

The + means that this is the VERY limits of timbre for this wood.

The ^ means that this is 99% of what the wood will sound like.

So 99% of the time, you will be someplace where you're overlapping the majority of woods out there...and 99.999% of players wouldn't be able to tell the species if they were playing it anyway. You can only tell the difference if you have a SUPERWARM mahogany body and a SUPERBRIGHT alder body...THEN you could say, YES I know there is a different species of wood here.

dig? They don't call me abstract for nuthin.

• Members

Anyone that would pass on a guitar...sight unseen...because of the species of wood used, is a fool.

Play it...listen to it...see if it speaks to you.

Unless you are more concerned with OWNING a guitar, than PLAYING a guitar.

I'm a guitar PLAYER, I will own good sounding guitars regardless of species.

I'll try to show what I'm saying...visually.

Mahogany

Warm*++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++----*Cool

Basswood

Warm*--++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++---*Cool

Alder

Warm*-----++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++*Cool

Poplar

Warm*---++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++--*Cool

The - means on a tonal spectrum...this sound could be achieved (just not by this wood).

The + means that this is the VERY limits of timbre for this wood.

The ^ means that this is 99% of what the wood will sound like.

So 99% of the time, you will be someplace where you're overlapping the majority of woods out there...and 99.999% of players wouldn't be able to tell the species if they were playing it anyway. You can only tell the difference if you have a SUPERWARM mahogany body and a SUPERBRIGHT alder body...THEN you could say, YES I know there is a different species of wood here.

dig? They don't call me abstract for nuthin.

Fair enough:thu:

Archived