G&L Tribute ASAT vs. MIM Standard Tele

Sauntman

• Members

How well does the G&L Tribute ASAT Classic match up against a MIM Standard Telecaster? In terms of tone, quality and workmanship. From what I understand the Tribute ASAT is manufactured in Korea, but the electronics are USA made. Which would you buy for $400.00? I quite like the looks of the Tribute ASAT in Blueburst, but I haven't seen any in the guitar stores I have visited recently. :confused:

• Members

I've got the ASAT Classic Tribute and I prefer it to the 3 or 4 MIM Tele's I tried, here are the pros and cons of the G&L as I see them.

Pro's:

Wider neck than the Tele, which I found easier to play.

Nicer (IMO) finish and feel on the neck.

If you want a Tele with the cool-looking traditional bridge saddles, I'm pretty sure your only option is the 3 saddle bridge, the ASAT have six saddle bridges which are supposed to be better for intonation.

Seemed to have better sustain than the MIM Tele's I played, though then again, I've only ever played one ASAT, so maybe I just got a good one.

Con's

G&L Tributes have a bit of a reputation for cheapo pots that get crackly quickly (the pots on both of my G&L's have had to be replaced, don't know what the MIM Teles are like in this regard)

This may not be the case in America, but getting replacement parts (espesh necks which have a non-standard heel) for G&L guitars is, as far as I can tell, impossible.

Resale value of G&L will definitely be lower.

• Members

I read somewhere else where someone mentioned the poor pots in the G&L Tribute. Also, I think I have read that the Tribute series has USA made electronics just like the MIA G&L line. So, the pots issue might be there for all G&L's and not just the Tribute MIK models. I am not one who adjusts his tone and volume on the guitar often so, this flaw might not be as big a issue as it is for others.

Does your Tribute ASAT have a maple fretboard or a rosewood one? I was leaning towards maple if I decided to get a Tribute ASAT. Possibly a Blueburst with maple which, I believe comes with the Ash body and not the Basswood. I have been seeing these new for about $400.00 and only slightly lower for used ones reportedly in mint condition.

• Members

If you look at the prices they charge for the MIA G&L's, I don't think they could get away with putting crappy pots on them. I've got a very dark rosewood fretboard on my ASAT, which I like, I've never tried the maple one though, mine's also got a very nice cherry burst finish, there are a couple of dark bits on the body though, which I also doubt you would get on the MIA ASAT's, but they look kind of OK, I'll put a pic up if you want.

• Members

Yeah, put up some pics. Another thing, I was thinking about getting the Tribute Classic because it has the traditional sized pups as opposed to the Tribute Special which has the larger single coils that look like P-90's. Looking on the Musician's Friend website, they are showing the ASAT Classic is "discontinued." I wonder if that is true?

• Members

Originally posted by Sauntman

Looking on the Musician's Friend website, they are showing the ASAT Classic is "discontinued." I wonder if that is true?

By the way, I meant the Tribute version of the ASAT Classic. Now, when I do a search on Musician's Friend, the Tribute ASAT Classic does not even come up. Just a week or so ago, it was there, but with the statement that it was discontinued. Perhaps they have gone totally to the Special with its soapbar looking pups.

• Members

Originally posted by donnie_combat

G&L's are the most un creative stupid pieces of crap on the planet. if you want something decent and real go for fender~

decent and real?

what's that suppose to mean?

Leo Fender dosn't make decent and real guitars?

• Members

Don't feed. I've seen the ASAT's with the P90 style pickups, I've never played them but they do look kind of odd on a Tele style guitar, here are some pics of my ASAT classic, the only modifications being that I replaced the 3-way and the pots and put a Seymour Duncan Vintage 54 in the Bridge, pics are a bit crap due it being overcast here, they don't really show the finish off, so I might try and do some more tomorrow.

ASAT%201.JPG

ASAT%202.JPG

ASAT%203.JPG

• Members

Originally posted by Mr Songwriter

I've got the ASAT Classic Tribute and I prefer it to the 3 or 4 MIM Tele's I tried, here are the pros and cons of the G&L as I see them.

Pro's:

Wider neck than the Tele, which I found easier to play.

Nicer (IMO) finish and feel on the neck.

If you want a Tele with the cool-looking traditional bridge saddles, I'm pretty sure your only option is the 3 saddle bridge, the ASAT have six saddle bridges which are supposed to be better for intonation.

Seemed to have better sustain than the MIM Tele's I played, though then again, I've only ever played one ASAT, so maybe I just got a good one.

Con's

G&L Tributes have a bit of a reputation for cheapo pots that get crackly quickly (the pots on both of my G&L's have had to be replaced, don't know what the MIM Teles are like in this regard)

This may not be the case in America, but getting replacement parts (espesh necks which have a non-standard heel) for G&L guitars is, as far as I can tell, impossible.

Resale value of G&L will definitely be lower.

All true. Also the even the standard G&L MFD pickups of the Classic are a bit meatier than standard Fender tele pickups. I also have both a Tribute ASAT Premium and Legacy Premium (i.e. swamp ash) and I like them both. I find the necks to be very comfortable. The pots can be a bit scratchy, but it hasn't been a problem so far. The ASAT bridge does intonate well and string height adjustment is a snap.

• Members

I love my Tribute ASAT. The pickups are definitely meatier, hotter than MIM Teles. I wonder how similar they are to p-90s sometimes, like in terms of winds and that sort of thing. They don't sound like p-90s to me -- maybe in between a p-90 and a standard single coil.

I don't have any decent pics. Here are some sub-mediocre ones:

gl03.jpg

gl04.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I bought a new MIM standard tele earlier this year and I couldn't be happier. While I haven't tried the G&L, I can't imagine how it would be any improvement over my MIM. The current crop of MIM teles are very good instruments. Note: My pic kinda sucks, it actually looks much metter than the image below.

dscn1577hd4.jpg

• Members

I checked out MIM Tele's this past summer, and ended up taking a chance and buying a used G&L ASAT Classic Tribute on eBay. I'm glad I did! I got this one for $325. (This one sold on eBay yesterday for $330).

First, the G&L's have an ash body, and IMO the finish with the grain coming through is so much nicer than a solid color. I also like the pearloid PG. I've had no issues at all with the pots or electronics. I replaced the stock switch with a Fender 4-way switch, which adds another tonal option. The G&Ls also come with a cushy, deluxe padded gig bag. I like the 6 piece brass saddles too.

I think you get a better axe with the G&L. Better options, and sounds as good or better than the MIM Fenders.

ASAT1.jpg

• Members

I checked out MIM Tele's this past summer, and ended up taking a chance and buying a used G&L ASAT Classic Tribute on eBay. I'm glad I did! I got this one for $325. (One identical to this, but with a maple board, sold on eBay yesterday for $330).

First, the G&L's have an ash body, and IMO the finish with the grain coming through is so much nicer than a solid color. I also like the pearloid PG. I've had no issues at all with the pots or electronics. I replaced the stock switch with a Fender 4-way switch, which adds another tonal option. The G&Ls also come with a cushy, deluxe padded gig bag. I like the 6 piece brass saddles too.

I think you get a better axe with the G&L. Better options, and sounds as good or better than the MIM Fenders.

ASAT1.jpg

I watched that guitar on ebay but I sold another guitar and could afford the non-Tribute. I got the exact same model that you have, sans it being made overseas. Beautiful color !

• Members

G&L's are the most un creative stupid pieces of crap on the planet. if you want something decent and real go for fender~

this guy should get banned just for saying one of the stupidest quotes of all time.

wow...

i honestly laughed out loud when i read this.

Archived