G&L ASAT Classic - American v. Tribute??? What are the differences?

thrashmetl

• Members

So, have any of you G&L enthusiasts ever sat down and compared the ASAT Classic American model to the Korean made Tribute?

I have a Tribute at home, but I've never actually sat down at a shop and compared the two. I was emailing back and forth with the G&L artist rep before I bought the thing and she said many professional players can't tell the different between the two and while I'm pretty sure she was blowing smoke up my ass, the tribute ASAT is the most amazing guitar I've ever played for the price and I love it to death.

So here are my questions:

1. What are the differences in the construction of the guitars as far as parts and how they are put together, etc.? I know they both come with American Fullerton, CA made pickups (are the pots American too) and that the neck is not split down the middle for the truss on the Tribute, but what are the other differences?

2. How different is the tone between the two? The Tribute's come with the same pickups as the American's and the wood is the same so there can't be too much of a difference......right?

If someone could upload video's or audio of a comparison that would be amazing too!!!

• Members

I'm pretty sure compressed Youtube audio will tell you next to nothing about the subtle differences of certain guitars, why dont you play some and decide.......

if you just want to feel better about your guitar, why bother, if you like it, thats all that matters, who cares what others think...

if you really want to hear my opinion, I think the tributes are a very good entry level guitar, a little better than the fender MIM offerings, but nowhere near the level of their american counterparts which are a custom shop guitar (except for the standard series which come in limited colours and options)..... take that for what you will, but at the end of the day, just play what you like....

• Members

Don't know about the tone,never plugged in a Tribute.

The pups are the same apparently ,but the pots and other elec.

are not.

The biggest difference to me is the neck and frets ,just don't feel the same to me.I think the Tribs. use smaller fretwire, something's different for sure.

I went out one day looking to buy a Trib.S500,found 3 ,none matched the feel of my US Legacy or Asat ,IMO.

(Came home with a Godin Freeway Classic that day)

Nice enough guitars,but something's not the same for sure.

• Members

Tributes have the same bridge, but not sure about the tuners. The nut is cheap plastic--definitely replace that. The wood quality on my ASAT classic tribute is very good. The body is 2 piece, and I'm not sure if the american G&Ls are the same. Also, the American G&Ls get PLekked, so they are much more playable out of the box. I had to have some fret level and crown work done on my tribute.

• Members

The Tribute's neck has a satin finish, is very light/white in color, similar to some other less expensive maple necks I've seen on other guitars. The necks on the MIA are akin to Fender Custom Shop quality - very detailed fretwork, darker color wood, glossy finish. One look at a USA model and you'll see the difference right away. That said, I don't think you can beat the Tribute for the money spent. I put a Tusq nut and a Fender 4-way switch in mine, and it's amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The Tribute's neck has a satin finish, is very light/white in color, similar to some other less expensive maple necks I've seen on other guitars. The necks on the MIA are akin to Fender Custom Shop quality - very detailed fretwork, darker color wood, glossy finish. One look at a USA model and you'll see the difference right away. That said, I don't think you can beat the Tribute for the money spent. I put a Tusq nut and a Fender 4-way switch in mine, and it's amazing.

I have a 1980 G&L F100 hardtail (extremely rare) that I bought brand new 28 years ago.

I just got a brand new 2008 G&L Tribute S-500 just yesterday.

Guitar fish is right about the necks. American G&L's have top notch necks and fretwork. The body woods on the American models are better, the pots are better and the tuners are better, too. But the Tribute is a great guitar in it's own right. I couldn't believe my ears when I plugged it into my Orange Crush 30R and Vox AD50VT. It was like the clouds opened up and angels began to sing. Right off the bat I could nail SRV's tone as well as Knopfler's "Sultan's" tone with relative ease, and this was with a solid state and a tube hybrid amp. I can only imagine how wonderful it would sound with a real vintage AC30. The satin finish neck is relatively easy to get used to. I like this new S-500... a LOT!! I bought it based on the reviews and on G&L's reputation for putting out a great product. The S-500 Tribute certainly did not disappoint! :thu:

• Members

I own a G&L S500 and recently played a Tribute S500. The Tribute definitely sounds and feels great, especially compared to guitars in its price class. The G&L S500 overall has a better feel -- it feels more broken in to me somehow. The sound is also a bit fuller, with more overtones. This may be likely to the better electronics and/or wood. That being said, the Tribute is a quality guitar, well worth the price. The G&L S500, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated guitars available.

• Members

I haven't spent a ton of time with the Tributes, but the necks feel very different IMO. The neck on my ASAT is much meatier with excellent fretwork. It's also tinted and has the gloss finish. Sound wise I don't see how they'd be significantly different. I'm a big fan of import guitars with awesome stock pickups and the Tribute series is very well done.

• Members

Tributes have the same bridge

I have actually read somewhere that the bridge is NOT the same. It's the same design, but I think the bridges for the tributes are (or were in the original runs) made somewhere else and probably of inferior metal.

As others have said, the pickups are the same, but I'm realized that pickups are less important than we think. The American G&Ls have better wood, better construction and finish, and better fretwork. Even with the same pickups that results in a better sounding instrument.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I bought a Tribute in natural ash, made in Indonesia last year. The neck pup sounded amazing, the bridge pup was unbearably shrill. I took a $350 risk and put the Fishman Greg Koch signature Gristle Tone system for Telecasters in the guitar. I needed minor pro help getting the input jack in. This guitar is god awesome now. I had the frets dressed and put Sperzels on. The guitar tech at my regional Guitar Center said it's the best sounding and performing Tele to come through the Virginia Beach shop in a long time. I use GHS Nickel Rocker strings which most stores don't carry. But they are worth ordering. They feel like flatwound but the sound leaps out better than Elixirs or NYXL.. Extremely versatile sound. There's nothing to "fix". I'd like to have a compound neck with a better finish on it, but I can't argue with how it performs as is and there doesn't seem to be a neck upgrade I can buy. I can't say enough about the Fluence system--I get any Fender sound including Hendrixy strat sounds, cheezy spaghetti western sounds all the way to chicken pickin' and R&B solid gold

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I bought in Bangkok a G&L Tribute S-500 made in Indonesia for less than $500 and It's a wow guitar... only visible difference beside the switch on the table instead of the push/pullI volume (a little bit cheap) is that they come (today) with a rosewood fretboard and a mahogany body.

I was thinking about changing pickups for a Rio Grande vintage set so I did not pay too much attention to the electronics when comparing... but I felt in love with the G&L MFD pickups.

The main difference for me it's that they are not PLEKED (however the fret job is done very well at the Cort factory in Indonesia)

Even so, in the shop I could not feel much difference between the S500 US and the Tribute, but the price - and my budget was tight.

They play in tune all over the freboard and stay in tune quite well, but you have to setup the nut (or change it for a black tusk xl, like I'm gonna do) once you changed the strings for your preferred ones.

Accuracy at the bottom of the neck is not good enough because of the nut (the nuts are not PLEKed in the US neither)

If you have access to a PLEK service nearby for a "cannot be more perfect" setup, go for it with all your beloved guitars, you won't believe the result :-) Just try the new mexican Martins.

It's becoming the must have for luthiers and the guitar industry (need a good operator although).

• Members

Nine years ago, when he posted, Ratae was correct, they didn't make a Tribute Comanche. Welcome to the Forum but it helps to pay attention to thread dates.

I saw the thread date.

But before such a comment it helps to pay attention to the date of Ratae's post comment http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...6#post31935986

Thanks welcoming me :-)

Beside this troll, production is now in Indonesia so some update is cool I assume.

;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived