yamaha sg article...

seifukusha

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have four of SG's - 2x SG2000 and 2x SBG3000 - and very nice they are too. Although the 3000's look nicer than the 2000's, the 2000 is definitely the better guitar. If you want one, try to get a pre-1984 SG2000 with the brass sustain plate under the bridge saddle, these definitely make a diference and I can't imagine why Yamaha stopped fitting them. Make sure it has the original pickups and NOT covered humbuckers that came later.

The reissue SG's are sh!t in comparison and fail to recreate the tone of the originals. The only thing they succeed in is reducing the value of the early models.

As for the value? I wouldn't part with any of mine for less than

• Members

Originally posted by glassbackandy

If you want one, try to get a pre-1984 SG2000 with the brass sustain plate under the bridge saddle, these definitely make a diference and I can't imagine why Yamaha stopped fitting them.

Cost and production time most likely. If you can shave X dollars and Y minutes off the production of each guitar the savings quickly add up.

• Members

I have four of SG's - 2x SG2000 and 2x SBG3000 - and very nice they are too. Although the 3000's look nicer than the 2000's, the 2000 is definitely the better guitar. If you want one, try to get a pre-1984 SG2000 with the brass sustain plate under the bridge saddle, these definitely make a diference and I can't imagine why Yamaha stopped fitting them. Make sure it has the original pickups and NOT covered humbuckers that came later.

The reissue SG's are sh!t in comparison and fail to recreate the tone of the originals. The only thing they succeed in is reducing the value of the early models.

As for the value? I wouldn't part with any of mine for less than

• Members

there are 2 SG 2000s in a local pawn shop. Both in cherry burst one seems to have a 2 piece top while the other looks like 3. Listed as early 80s and they want close to $800.oo for each. Is that ball park to what you guys outside Japan pay?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Really? Is that the general consensus? (I hope not.)

• Members

One of my old guitar teachers had bought a Yamaha SG-2000 anniversary edition, I believe a few hundred of them had been made. The sound they had was incredible; the pickups were black with gold accents, and the guitar had this awesome blues tone. It sang even through a tiny SS practice amp. :eek:

• Members

A few months ago I played a worn used SG-3000. Sounded great and was a joy to play, but the thing was even heavier than my LP copy. I'd love to have one with lighter weight.

Oh and Studiolord is right, the current Yamaha SGs come with the sustain plate.

• Members

Originally posted by XeroStar33

One of my old guitar teachers had bought a Yamaha SG-2000 anniversary edition, I believe a few hundred of them had been made. The sound they had was incredible; the pickups were black with gold accents, and the guitar had this awesome blues tone. It sang even through a tiny SS practice amp.
:eek:

When was that?

Although the SG2000 is nowhere to be found at the Yamaha web site, it is currently available from dealers such as Aage in Denmark, Thomann in Germany, GAK in the UK.

I recently got the SA2200. I love it so much that I am thinking about expanding my Yamaha collection (which holds as yet just this one guitar).

• Members

Rocknote,

I'm replying to a mail alert that I got from you today. I must admit I haven't kept up with this link and I'm a little surprised at some of the comments made since I last posted.

The sustain plate issue has got me confused because Yamaha definitely stopped fitting them at some point and I have definitely played a post-2000 model which didn't have one fitted. There's a great deal of confusion surrounding the guitar as many models turning up in Europe were originally made for the Japanese market and didn't adhere to the manufacturing spec of models over here. I have been trying for some time to fathom Yamaha's manufacturing strategy since the SG2000's inception but any detailed information is sparse indeed. There's always stuff you hear at trade shows but I'm never really sure how much of it is really true.

Since I posted last, I have owned and sold on a 2004 SG2000 (no sustain plate!) and I stand by my original comments - the new models are nowhere near as good as the late '70's/early '80's guitars. However, that is not to say they are bad - they have a similar feel and playability and the workmanship is exemplary. They just don't sound the same and, with the range of SG's that I own, I think I'm in a competant position to make that judgement.

Amongst the snippets of information that I have discovered about the SG, one piece of information struck me: that the original SG was discontinued because the source of timber had been exhausted. Now you can take this as an interesting fact or pure mythology, I don't know, but it would go a long way towards explaining why the later models are different.

Ultimately, I would suggest that if you haven't lived with an old SG then the difference isn't going to bother you and the new SG's are a great guitar in their own right. I may have overcooked it by saying they're "sh!t in comparison" but, to me, they've lost a certain mid-range bite and they don't sustain with the effortless abandon of the oldies. It's your choice.

Andy.

• Members

Thanks a lot for your post, Andy! :thu: Your final comments about the difference between the new/old ones clear it up for me.

But what about balance issues? At The Gear Page, there was a thread entitled "Kings of Neck Heavy Guitars and Basses?" in which the thread starter had listed the SG2000.

I have emailed Yamaha quoting the URLs that display the reissue SGs on the current European market, cf. below, but the response I get is this: "no these models are not back -- nor are they coming back to the best of my knowledge -- hope this clears things up." :confused::confused::confused:

DENMARK - 2000 and 1000

http://www.aage.dk/Shoppingsystem/vare.asp?varenr=28514

http://www.aage.dk/Shoppingsystem/vare.asp?varenr=28515

GERMANY - 2000

http://www.thomann.de/artikel-183776.html

UK - 2000 and 1000 and 700

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1296

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1295

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1294

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

the SGs are still listed in the Yamaha catalogs not discontinued over here, and anyways... the Japanese are quite happy in their own little...and I do mean little...world, and couldn`t care less about what us gaijin think.

Now, that's the brilliance of a place like this - you have people from around the world helping you! Can you find the SG2000 on the Japanese language version of the Yamaha web site? I'd be interested in any Japanese info on the SA2200 too, in so far as it holds more than the English language version.

• Members

Originally posted by RockNote

But what about balance issues?

Ha! Let's get something straight here - nobody and nothing's perfect; I haven't really noticed a 'balance issue' with the SG's mainly because they're so bloody heavy. Mine are used exclusively in my studio and almost exclusively whilst I'm sitting down to play.

I used to gig with one in my younger days and it didn't really bother me but these days I'd think twice about having one slung round my neck for an hour or so! Nevertheless, the weight is a small price to pay when you're armed with 'that sound'.

Andy.

• Members

Originally posted by RockNote

Now, that's the brilliance of a place like this - you have people from around the world helping you! Can you find the SG2000 on the Japanese language version of the Yamaha web site? I'd be interested in any Japanese info on the SA2200 too, in so far as it holds more than the English language version.

The Japanese site doesn't really have anything but a picture and specs. You can check the models listed on the Japanese website here:

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/gateway/index/div/002.html

Electrics are under the section that says ?????? ("erekigitaa" or - not so surprisingly - "electric guitars" :D). If you don't have Asian character support enabled, it's the third section on the page. You can use Babelfish to translate the pages if you want.

RockNote, you actually managed to get a reply from Yamaha customer support? What address did you e-mail?

BTW, Ishibashi sells Yamahas and while they don't have the SG2000 listed on the website, I imagine they could get you one.

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

I looked in my 2005 catalog to see the SGs still listed. I`ve never been to the Japanese Yamaha web site, in fact I have been to very few Japanese guitar company web sites, I usually get info elsewhere...guess I could look.

Thank you. I'd appreciate it! :thu: The only thing I can find is this, which is useless. What is it - a pricelist?

• Members

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/eg/column/col05103101/

this is a software translation of the page in the link...

Signature machine SG-2000 appears in July, 1976. The guitar with a novel structure and a beautiful design won full support from guitarists all over the world as an electric guitar in a complete new age as soon as being put on the market. SG1000 of the set problem structure was newly developed in answer to the voice to request the sound with strong color of the more lock from SG-2000 with Atakke continuously.

Extending SG-2000/SG-1000 has continued for the lineup to be always done as an article in great demand from appear to today of that for 30 years to be near.

It will be able to be said that only this is proof of the height of the perfection.

And, 2005. SG-2000/SG-1000 accomplishes further evolution.

The line of the SG-2000/SG-1000 exclusive use was installed in the Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. music craft (Shizuoka Prefecture Hamamatsu City) that was the factory of the handcraft of an acoustic guitar, and the system that made up one per one of hands of skilled craftsmen was constructed. In addition, the system of IRA(Initial Response Acceleration) used for an acoustic violin etc. was introduced. The stress between painting and Kibe and between each part was canceled by this processing, it reacted to playing the player adequately, and it came to be able to deliver it to original of everybody as a guitar sounded easily.

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. SG keeps always evolving to improve the perfection as the electric guitar though there is little change on the externals. The height of the quality is pride of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd..

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

The Japanese site doesn't really have anything but a picture and specs. You can check the models listed on the Japanese website here:

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/gateway/index/div/002.html

Electrics are under the section that says ?????? ("erekigitaa" or - not so surprisingly - "electric guitars"
:D
). If you don't have Asian character support enabled, it's the third section on the page. You can use Babelfish to translate the pages if you want.

RockNote, you actually managed to get a reply from Yamaha customer support? What address did you e-mail?

BTW,
Ishibashi
sells Yamahas and while they don't have the SG2000 listed on the website, I imagine they could get you one.

Hey LaXu! Yes, I was in contact with what appeared to be the most central English speaking part of Yamaha - probably some US office. It was back when I was researching the SA2200, which I have subsequently bought. One of the main reasons for contacting them was the fact that on the Internet the neck is variously listed as one piece mahogany or maple/mahogany. And to make matters worse, in the shop where I bought it they claimed it was one piece maple! I had a hard time believing that, so I got in touch with Yamaha on the phone. They told me they make only one version of it - which is a one piece mahogany neck. When I enquired about the SG models, I used this email address: guitarguru@yamaha.com A guy who calls himself EB then got back to me within 24 h. He wrote to me from this address, which I then subsequently used: YCASupport@yamaha.com

Please, would you like to give me the details from the Japanese web site on these three models?

SG-3000

SG-2000

SG-2000MT

Thanks. I'll try Babelfish too, but I'd rather trust your translation.

Archived