X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha sg article...

http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=184

just saw one for $700 and a crappy one for $900...
    OTHERWORLDLY. Psychedelic, Noise, Shoegaze.Joey Levenson on SoundCloud

I have four of SG's - 2x SG2000 and 2x SBG3000 - and very nice they are too. Although the 3000's look nicer than the 2000's, the 2000 is definitely the better guitar. If you want one, try to get a pre-1984 SG2000 with the brass sustain plate under the bridge saddle, these definitely make a diference and I can't imagine why Yamaha stopped fitting them. Make sure it has the original pickups and NOT covered humbuckers that came later.

The reissue SG's are sh!t in comparison and fail to recreate the tone of the originals. The only thing they succeed in is reducing the value of the early models.

As for the value? I wouldn't part with any of mine for less than

Comment

guys keep it down i own a 78-79 sg1500 and a good friend of mine has a 2000 both have the sustain plate and both are unreal, i love the neck p/u
      "This is for the old ones, from back when the music mattered, and we had something to believe in, back when men were men, and women were women, and some women were also men, and some men were goats, and women would herd these goats thru the village, herding them with the power of this great classic tone!"

Check out www.guitargear.net.au

Comment

Originally posted by glassbackandy
        If you want one, try to get a pre-1984 SG2000 with the brass sustain plate under the bridge saddle, these definitely make a diference and I can't imagine why Yamaha stopped fitting them.

Cost and production time most likely. If you can shave X dollars and Y minutes off the production of each guitar the savings quickly add up.
        Some Ramblings from Mr. Gueguen
        http://timgueguen.blogspot.com

Saskatoon At 7 Megapixels
        http://saskatoonseven.blogspot.com

A Magpie Moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBVa9D0-J4

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING V 83
          I'm selling this 1980 SBG500. $485 shipped w/ hs case to the 48:

PM me if serious for more pics & info.

lovely, really...
          OTHERWORLDLY. Psychedelic, Noise, Shoegaze.Joey Levenson on SoundCloud

Comment

I have four of SG's - 2x SG2000 and 2x SBG3000 - and very nice they are too. Although the 3000's look nicer than the 2000's, the 2000 is definitely the better guitar. If you want one, try to get a pre-1984 SG2000 with the brass sustain plate under the bridge saddle, these definitely make a diference and I can't imagine why Yamaha stopped fitting them. Make sure it has the original pickups and NOT covered humbuckers that came later.

The reissue SG's are sh!t in comparison and fail to recreate the tone of the originals. The only thing they succeed in is reducing the value of the early models.

As for the value? I wouldn't part with any of mine for less than

Comment

there are 2 SG 2000s in a local pawn shop. Both in cherry burst one seems to have a 2 piece top while the other looks like 3. Listed as early 80s and they want close to $800.oo for each. Is that ball park to what you guys outside Japan pay?
              it wasn`t me

Comment

Really? Is that the general consensus? (I hope not.)
                RockNote: Yamaha SA2200 -> Area 51 wah –> Pentavocal -> Dlx Moon Phaser => 2 x Cornford Carrera. Kramer Pacer > Phase 100 > Crybaby > TS9 > Fender Princeton Chorus.

Comment

One of my old guitar teachers had bought a Yamaha SG-2000 anniversary edition, I believe a few hundred of them had been made. The sound they had was incredible; the pickups were black with gold accents, and the guitar had this awesome blues tone. It sang even through a tiny SS practice amp.
                  Rockin' the Free World with the Mazi Bee Militia

Please visit my photoblog. If you're a Stumbler, please give me a thumbs up!
                  make money by digging and stumbling.

Comment

A few months ago I played a worn used SG-3000. Sounded great and was a joy to play, but the thing was even heavier than my LP copy. I'd love to have one with lighter weight.

Oh and Studiolord is right, the current Yamaha SGs come with the sustain plate.
                    "Walking the fine line between bacon and Christian."

Comment

Originally posted by XeroStar33
                      One of my old guitar teachers had bought a Yamaha SG-2000 anniversary edition, I believe a few hundred of them had been made. The sound they had was incredible; the pickups were black with gold accents, and the guitar had this awesome blues tone. It sang even through a tiny SS practice amp.

When was that?
                      Although the SG2000 is nowhere to be found at the Yamaha web site, it is currently available from dealers such as Aage in Denmark, Thomann in Germany, GAK in the UK.
                      I recently got the SA2200. I love it so much that I am thinking about expanding my Yamaha collection (which holds as yet just this one guitar).
                      RockNote: Yamaha SA2200 -> Area 51 wah –> Pentavocal -> Dlx Moon Phaser => 2 x Cornford Carrera. Kramer Pacer > Phase 100 > Crybaby > TS9 > Fender Princeton Chorus.

Comment

Rocknote,

I'm replying to a mail alert that I got from you today. I must admit I haven't kept up with this link and I'm a little surprised at some of the comments made since I last posted.

The sustain plate issue has got me confused because Yamaha definitely stopped fitting them at some point and I have definitely played a post-2000 model which didn't have one fitted. There's a great deal of confusion surrounding the guitar as many models turning up in Europe were originally made for the Japanese market and didn't adhere to the manufacturing spec of models over here. I have been trying for some time to fathom Yamaha's manufacturing strategy since the SG2000's inception but any detailed information is sparse indeed. There's always stuff you hear at trade shows but I'm never really sure how much of it is really true.

Since I posted last, I have owned and sold on a 2004 SG2000 (no sustain plate!) and I stand by my original comments - the new models are nowhere near as good as the late '70's/early '80's guitars. However, that is not to say they are bad - they have a similar feel and playability and the workmanship is exemplary. They just don't sound the same and, with the range of SG's that I own, I think I'm in a competant position to make that judgement.

Amongst the snippets of information that I have discovered about the SG, one piece of information struck me: that the original SG was discontinued because the source of timber had been exhausted. Now you can take this as an interesting fact or pure mythology, I don't know, but it would go a long way towards explaining why the later models are different.

Ultimately, I would suggest that if you haven't lived with an old SG then the difference isn't going to bother you and the new SG's are a great guitar in their own right. I may have overcooked it by saying they're "sh!t in comparison" but, to me, they've lost a certain mid-range bite and they don't sustain with the effortless abandon of the oldies. It's your choice.

Andy.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your post, Andy! Your final comments about the difference between the new/old ones clear it up for me.

But what about balance issues? At The Gear Page, there was a thread entitled "Kings of Neck Heavy Guitars and Basses?" in which the thread starter had listed the SG2000.

I have emailed Yamaha quoting the URLs that display the reissue SGs on the current European market, cf. below, but the response I get is this: "no these models are not back -- nor are they coming back to the best of my knowledge -- hope this clears things up."

DENMARK - 2000 and 1000

http://www.aage.dk/Shoppingsystem/vare.asp?varenr=28514
                          http://www.aage.dk/Shoppingsystem/vare.asp?varenr=28515

GERMANY - 2000
                          http://www.thomann.de/artikel-183776.html

UK - 2000 and 1000 and 700

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1296
                          http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1295
                          http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1294

Comment

the SGs are still listed in the Yamaha catalogs not discontinued over here, and anyways... the Japanese are quite happy in their own little...and I do mean little...world, and couldn`t care less about what us gaijin think.
                            it wasn`t me

Comment

you guys can just get your SGs on line from Japan.
                              it wasn`t me

Comment

• Working...
                                X