Best CHEAP ES-335 copy.

animal69

• Members

Whats the best CHEAP ES 335 copy? I posted a thread earlier asking what were the best copies not made in China (I still prefer Japan or Korea if possible) and I got a lot of posts for Tokai and Edwards but those are still in excess of a grand. I guess I assumed all copies were cheap. From what I gather the MIJ ES 335 clones are better than the Gibsons. Anyways I can't afford any of those. What are my options as a cheap-ass? I have a 20% off discount coming to me at musicians friend so I can get a brand new Epiphone Dot for $320. Should I just do that? I've read that the pickups on them suck though.

I guess I don't even care if it looks like a 335, just so long as it sounds like one and looks really cool and 60's ish.

• Members

dont be afraid to check out a brand named "S101". I scored mine on Craigslist for $100 from a kid who was selling it to fund an Epi Dot. The only reason I went to get it was due to the price and figured I would do some custom work to it. But, it turned out to be my number one player! It blows away the Dot Studio I have and nearly plays itself!

Just an awesome guitar. I have had the nut changed (it was cracked and chipped when i got it), adjusted the neck and had it set up. The elctronics are 100% unlike the hit and miss Dots (I resoldered all the electrics in my Dot). I believe it is a Chinese guitar but its an amazing peice for the price.

6xqkkcx.jpg

• Members

are the pickups on the sheraton any better than on the dot?

I've been looking into buying a sheraton too. The biggest difference between the 2 is build quality. The sheraton just feels solid in your hands (and the inlays and binding look amazing too). The neck is another huge difference. Both are wide, but the dot is much thicker and harder to access the upper frets. That might be because i have small to average size hands but yeah, the sheraton neck is a dream to play

• Members

If people are selling used Edwards for $1000.oo, they`re making a lot of money off them, I got mine used for $400.oo and sold it for $500.oo recently on line in Japan. Even taking shipping into account you oughta be able to get one for much less than a grand.

• Members

I've been looking into buying a sheraton too. The biggest difference between the 2 is build quality. The sheraton just feels solid in your hands (and the inlays and binding look amazing too). The neck is another huge difference. Both are wide, but the dot is much thicker and harder to access the upper frets. That might be because i have small to average size hands but yeah, the sheraton neck is a dream to play

You are totally right about the neck. It is a wonderful neck to play.

• Members

The very BEST 335 knockoff is the one that YOU connect with. There are a lot of good choices out there. I know it's tempting to order one from MF or ebay, and you might do just fine, but you will most likely be more happy if you are able to play it first.

Having said that, the Epi dots are real good choices. Others to consider are Ibanez, Washburn, Gretch, Hohner, Jay Turser, Michael Kelly, Austin...

• Members

I've said it before and I'll say it again-I am in love with my Yamaha SA500! $500 brand new with case. The only thing is the horns on the body are a bit pointier and they have done the f-holes kind of different-sort of art deco, but that bothers me not-it is a great guitar, and I end up playing it most of the time.

-Mikey

• Members

I plan on purchasing an Epiphone Sheraton II very soon, and changing the pickups to SD Pearly Gates in the bridge, and an SD Alnico II Pro in the neck as wlel as putting push-pull pots for coil tapping capabilities. It'll be a great alternative to getting an ES-335, and having more tone options available.

Archived