Guitar Center closing stores???

stormin1155

• Members

I heard today that GC is closing 40 of their stores. One of them is here in Des Moines. Anyone else hear anything? I heard it from a friend of mine that runs a little guitar shop and has really struggled since GC opened their store here about 5 years ago.

EDIT: AFTER LOTS OF SPECULATION ON THIS TREAD AND A FAIR AMOUNT OF GC BASHING, NO ONE HAS PRODUCED ANY EVIDENCE THAT THIS RUMOR IS TRUE.

SO I SUGGEST THAT WE LET IT DIE BEFORE MORE RUMORS START.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I hadn't even thought of a closeout sale.

I just want those mofos out of a job!

I don't know whether I dislike any retail establishment enough to say that I want to see the people that work there out of a job. Are there some things about GC that we, inevitably, all hate? Definitely, but not that much.

Closeout deals? I hope so, but anything like a fire sale is unlikely. They'll probably just ship most of the inventory elsewhere. The deals will probably be on stuff they couldn't give away anyways. :cry:

• Members

The Fairfax store always seemed like at a waste of time, there was never anything there.

Still, the Seven Corners store was always a pain in my ass. They were one of the stores that would "unbundle" and sale you the case for an additional cost.

• Members

I don't wish them out of a job because they work at GC.

They are mofos and should be out of a job, period.

Shop at the Fairfax store and then tell me I'm wrong.

They pissed me off in one visit so much I will never shop there again. I go to a different GC with good people.

• Members

The Fairfax store always seemed like at awaste of time, there was never anything there.

Still, the Seven Corners store was always a pain in my ass. They were one of the stores that would "unbundle" and sale you the case for an additional cost.

hmmmm I thought all GCs "expoloded".

Dave at 7 Corners is the MAN!

• Members

as far as attitudes and people are concerened at GC, Ive never dealt with a better majority sales group than those at the South Bay GC when it comes to musical items. On the other hand, its the total opposite when it comes to the Westwood/West LA GC. Bunch of imbeciles and negativity towards customers over there not to mention a maze of a store. Just an aweful layout.

• Members

go to 7 corners...ask for david barker. tell him carl sent you. don't question any price he gives you, you're getting the best deal possible.
:thu:

That would be a hell of a trip from my current abode in LA. Besides, I don't think I've set foot in a GC (or ordered from MF) since the '99. And, much like the way I feel for Northern Virgina, I'm never going back either.

• Members

For the people who hate Guitar Center so much they want to see them close... why? Because the service sucks? No kidding. But its the same service you get at Best Buy, Target, or Appleby's. Its just another big chain store hiring college kids making minimum wages selling you stuff at decent prices.

The key to shopping GC is don't expect anything in the way of service, and you won't be disappointed. When I go to GC, I don't even deal with the sales people until I have to. I go in, try what I want, and decide whether I want to buy it or not. At that point I go over to a sales person, ask him what kind of discount he can give me, and I either accept the price and buy it, or I leave the store. I honestly wouldn't care if they were like a Sam's Club and didnt have any sales people, just a cashier to take my money. We're all big boys and girls here with internet connections. We can all research the products we're interested in online, without needing some rock star wannabe GC salesperson to answer our questions about a product.

Even the stores with the worst service still a) allow you to try anything you want, b) have a generous return policy, and c) are willing to negotiate on the prices. Honestly, what more do you need?

And to the people who hate GC because they are putting the mom and pop shops out of business, you gotta get over that. Its life in the 21st century and its not going to change. What do you think will happen if GC goes out of business? Hundreds of mom and pop music stores will open up and things will go bak to the way they were in the 60's? Guess what, it ain't gonna happen. The minute GC announces they are closing, some other retail giant will see that void and jump all over it. They are already starting to sell musical instuments in Best Buy and Walmart. Its only a matter of time before one of them creates a spinnoff called GuitarMart. And they will hire the same college kids and offer the same crappy service. Guitar Center with a different name.

Archived