Gretsch humbucker conversion

Groovemeister

• Members

If that's the case, I don't think I have the heart (or lack of) to cut into the wood, plus I don't know anyone that I'd trust to do it.

Are you sure Vanderwaal, this looks like the same size as the Filterons:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5120-Electromatic-Hollow-Body-with-DualCoil-Pickups?sku=513282

The reasoning behind all this; I now have a 335 clone that I love. But the neck and fretboard of the Gretsch is the best quality, best feeling I've ever touched. So I was hoping of having the best of both worlds, as I love the sound of PAF humbuckers in a semi-hollow.

I'm not diggin the jangly highs that the existing pickups have--which is what Gretsch is known for.

Anyone try the Powertrons by TV Jones, on the site it says they sound closer to a PAF, I'm not sure if that means it has less jangle. The sound samples sound ok.

• Members

they look like filtertrons but they're really standard size humbuckers dressed up like filters.

if you bought and modded the 5120 then you'd have gretsch x2. wouldn't that be nice?

• Members

get a 5120 fo sho!

Dont mod an nice Gretsch, mod one thats new and readily available cheaply. As you can see, the 6120 pick guard on my 5120 fits, but, notice the pup cut out. Thats the size difference of the Gretschbuckers to the Filtertrons.

8efrfyb.jpg

Now,

if your not looking to spend the cash for a used 5120 off ebay or craiglist, might I mention the 335 clone made by S101. Its built like a tank, great fit and finish, the neck is perfect (for me) and its my main player. Its so nice in fact I went and got a Dot Studio to mod when the S101 was intended to be a heavily mod'ed guitar.

• Members

If that's the case, I don't think I have the heart (or lack of) to cut into the wood, plus I don't know anyone that I'd trust to do it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5120-Electromatic-Hollow-Body-with-DualCoil-Pickups?sku=513282

The reasoning behind all this; I now have a 335 clone that I love. But the neck and fretboard of the Gretsch is the best quality, best feeling I've ever touched. So I was hoping of having the best of both worlds, as I love the sound of PAF humbuckers in a semi-hollow.

I'm not diggin the jangly highs that the existing pickups have--which is what Gretsch is known for.

Anyone try the Powertrons by TV Jones, on the site it says they sound closer to a PAF, I'm not sure if that means it has less jangle. The sound samples sound ok.

TV Jones could be a great solution for you without losing the Gretschiness of your Gretsch - his stuff ain't cheap, but it's top notch - I don't know if he is as accessible as he was several years ago, but it might be worth sending an email to him and tell him what you're looking for, if it's PAF or a distortion type pup or whatever

an electromatic hollowbody with EMGs on the other hand, could be a badass machine :love:

• Members

here is the same guitar from the top.

6tx989l.jpg

The color is off due to lighting but you get a more strait on look at the pick guard and pup size differences. Ive got a solid lead on some gold Gretschbuckers :) When those are here, my project is complete.

Archived