Anyone familiar with my first guitar?

Kid A

• Members

My parents bought it for me when I was in junior high school and I played it to all the time. I sold it to a friend of mine during college so that I could buy a "better" guitar and I just got it back (he got an EJ Strat). It is a black HSS Strat made in Japan in the late eighties with a Kahler trem. Are these good guitars? It is definitely in need of some work. Would it be possible to convert it to a regular strat trem, because i am not really a fan of the Kahler? Also, the truss rod adjustment is located where the neck meets body so I would assume that I need to take the neck to make the adjusts, is that correct?

I know - Pics would help. I will be able to put some up later.

Thanks.

• Members

My parents bought it for me when I was in junior high school and I played it to all the time. I sold it to a friend of mine during college so that I could buy a "better" guitar and I just got it back (he got an EJ Strat). It is a black HSS Strat made in Japan in the late eighties with a Kahler trem. Are these good guitars? It is definitely in need of some work. Would it be possible to convert it to a regular strat trem, because i am not really a fan of the Kahler? Also, the truss rod adjustment is located where the neck meets body so I would assume that I need to take the neck to make the adjusts, is that correct?

I know - Pics would help. I will be able to put some up later.

Thanks.

Yea, she sounds familiar. She had a curvy ass and knew how to be played. What a slut :p

• Members

MIJ, Kahler and HSS screams HM strat to me.. Yes, those are good guitars. Putting a standard trem on there probably isn't possible, nor even remotely a good idea. The trems on there work well when adjusted correctly. If it's messed up, get a setup done on it and make it happy again. Otherwise, sell it to me =)

hmstrat2.jpg

Look like that?

• Members

The input jack is on the top like a regular strat. It doesn't look like the HM Strat pictured above. It is very much like a standard strat with a bridge humbucker and a Kahler trem.

• Members

My first Fender was about an 84-ish MIJ that was pearl white. Not really white, but not quite cream. It was H/S/S with a standard vintage type trem. No pickguard and it had black pickups and knobs.

It was an outstanding guitar. But at the time, I couldn't have more than one electric (other than super cheapies) so I got rid of it when I started getting into heavier music. Knowing what I know now, I would have kept it and replaced the pickup but that literally never occured to me back then.

We got it in 1984 and I think it was a last years model because it was cheaper than the other similar guitars the store had at the time. It's kinda funny because 40-ish guitars and probably $15,000 worth of guitar later and my main guitar is a 1983 MIJ Strat... with an aftermarket bridge pickup.

I almost had it exactly right the first time. But, my old one had a rosewood fretboard and now I greatly prefer maple fretboards. But I sure wish I still had that one. I had three or four electrics before that one, but they were free hand-me-downs. One was a Tiesco... Probably Japanese. We literally threw it away when we moved to Texas. Thing's probably worth several hundred dollars now but it was ugly as sin.

As far as modding the Kahler back to a vintage trem... It's definitely possible, but would be way more of a headache than just buying a body and moving everything else over. Gilmours black strat went from vintage trem to Kahler and back to vintage trem.

Personally, I'd leave it alone.

Archived