Plugging directly into board--what to use?

stratotastic

• Members

After a problem with the cops coming for noise reasons, our band decided to try practicing through headphones last night (electric instruments/electronic drums). It worked surprisingly well and an unexpected result was the pristine studio-quality recording that came out of it. The main issue is what to do about the guitars. I basically ran my pedal board directly into the mixer which sounded great for clean sounds, but got that typical buzzy lead sound when I kicked in the overdrive. I know there must be something out there that I can put between my effects and the mixer to simulate that "smoothing out" effect that an amp speaker has, but am not sure what to look for. It would be just for the occasional weeknight practice, and I already have the effects I need, so it needs to be as CHEAP and basic as possible; new or used, I don't care. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nate

• Members

A guy I was in Jazz band with had one of those Tech 21/Sans Amp pedals that had three different models... that was VERY impressive for the time. I remember being quite blown away by it. Of course, that was many years ago.

These days, I used a Zoom G2 as a headphone amp. I also use a Behringer V-Ampire as a headphone amp when I want higher gain sounds. The Zoom does a great 5150/6505 model, the Behringer does a radically better everything else but with the Zoom, you can turn everything but the cabinet mod off.

I'm assuming you are a higher gain player. What kind of 'effects' are you using? Pedals or do you have a multi FX that just doesn't happen to have a cabinet simulator?

• Members
  • Members

A guy I was in Jazz band with had one of those Tech 21/Sans Amp pedals that had three different models... that was VERY impressive for the time. I remember being quite blown away by it. Of course, that was many years ago.

These days, I used a Zoom G2 as a headphone amp. I also use a Behringer V-Ampire as a headphone amp when I want higher gain sounds. The Zoom does a great 5150/6505 model, the Behringer does a radically better everything else but with the Zoom, you can turn everything but the cabinet mod off.

I'm assuming you are a higher gain player. What kind of 'effects' are you using? Pedals or do you have a multi FX that just doesn't happen to have a cabinet simulator?

Thanks for the ideas. I'm actually NOT a high gain player and do mainly classic rock (Floyd, Clapton, Neil Young, some blues, etc). My board is pretty simple: BudWah > BD-2 > DD-5 > EB Volume pedal. Last night I had a Line 6 DM4 between the wah and BD-2 but probably won't continue to use it. When playing out loud I use my amp's overdrive.

Thanks again,

Nate

• Members

Archived