Anyone Have A J. Reynolds or Arbor Strat? (Nut change question)

zerkalo

• Members

I just got a used one for 48 bucks (including shipping). All I need to do is put new knobs on it.

Yesterday, I put in a new nut (the graphite one from Stew Mac that all you guys used on yoru 51's). It didn't fit right. I put it in anyway for the interim. After setting up the action, the guitar sounded pretty good and stayed in tune, but a few of the strings buzzed a bit because of the wrong nut.

Now I need to get a new one. Does anyone know the measurements of this nut? Also, can I get a ruler that measures in MM's at Staples or something? I could measure it myself, I guess.

• Members

Try one of these Zerk: http://cgi.ebay.com/PQ-6010-00-Tusq-Nut-Slotted-Jumbo-Gibson-Les-Paul_W0QQitemZ140210648256QQihZ004QQcategoryZ101976QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Easy to work with - you just sand the base till the nut is the same height as your original and then install. It actually helps to leave your strings on (slack) and then place the new nut in the channel and tighten a few to pitch to check the action before final install (using elmers or hide).

I responded to another post like this yesterday in which I had more time and added more detail.

Of course another solution for you would be to install nut shims (sanded flat toothpicks work great for this) under the graphite one you have installed. However, this compromises your contact a mite and could detract a bit from sustain.

• Members

Sorry about that dude, this is the one I meant to highlight: http://cgi.ebay.com/PQ-5000-00-Tusq-Slotted-Fender-Strat-Tele-Guitar-Nut_W0QQitemZ140211719132QQihZ004QQcategoryZ101976QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd probably get this one over the one you posted cause Tusq is so much easier to work with (just sand the base -sands easily) and yet sounds at least as good as bone. I like the tonal properties of tusq so much, I recently replaced the nut, saddle and bridge pins on my acoustic all to tusq. Honestly, you can't imagine how great it sounds now.

Archived