Explorer versus Explorer Pro

enuenu

• Members

Not all the pros have maple tops.

pdr1129yr1.jpg

Love my pro mahogany.

Tones plenty thick for me.

If you need thicker, swap the 500T bridge pickup for something else. JB maybe.

The pro is only slightly smaller than the regular.

90% of the size or something.

Balances well.

I like the bound neck and body.

Great action.

Neck is a nice D shape. '60s profile thin. Great for shred.

I prefer the Pros.

Feel less bulky to me than the regular Explorers.

• Members

Not all the pros have maple tops.

pdr1129yr1.jpg

Love my pro mahogany.

Tones plenty thick for me.

If you need thicker, swap the 500T bridge pickup for something else. JB maybe.

The pro is only slightly smaller than the regular.

90% of the size or something.

Balances well.

I like the bound neck and body.

Great action.

Neck is a nice D shape. '60s profile thin. Great for shred.

I prefer the Pros.

Feel less bulky to me than the regular Explorers.

kherman: - That is an awesome, awesome axe. Was that a GOTW or is it a stock color? - I've seen a few of them still being advertised with some of the on-line retailers, but yours is an exceptionally nice example, - Enjoy it!!:thu:

• Members

I didn't realize that within the Pro model there was variation in wood/construction used. I am not up to speed on guitar construction so please excuse my ignorance. I take it you can get Pros with a totally mahogany body (better) OR with a "maple top" (not as good). If the "top" is maple what is the "bottom" of the body made from?

I have heard the term "maple top" used before and don't really know what it means or its significance. I think I have read that expensive LPs had maple tops and therefore thought this was a good thing. I am obviously in need of education.

It seems the regular explorer has an all mahogany body.

It seems there are two "Explorer Pros"

MF- Pro+Mahogany+Maple (Korina back?? see user comment)- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Explorer-Pro-Flame-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=512795

MF- Pro+Mahogany - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Explorer-Pro-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=514153

MF - regular Explorer (all mahogany I think)http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=517320

• Members

I didn't realize that within the Pro model there was variation in wood/construction used. I am not up to speed on guitar construction so please excuse my ignorance. I take it you can get Pros with a totally mahogany body (better) OR with a "maple top" (not as good). If the "top" is maple what is the "bottom" of the body made from?

I have heard the term "maple top" used before and don't really know what it means or its significance. I think I have read that expensive LPs had maple tops and therefore thought this was a good thing. I am obviously in need of education.

It seems the regular explorer has an all mahogany body.

It seems there are two "Explorer Pros"

MF- Pro+Mahogany+Maple (Korina back?? see user comment)-

MF- Pro+Mahogany -

MF - regular Explorer (all mahogany I think)

The Pro's with the maple tops have a mahogany back. None of them are better or worse, just have dif' flavors so to speak. You really cant go wrong with any of them.

Your first step might be to decide if you want a full size "standard" model or a smaller "Pro" version.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Close to taking the plunge on an Explorer here. Just something about the sound that pushed me to the Explorer over the LP Studio. Surprisingly it was the cleans on the Explorer that I liked better. Both the Explorer and the LP Studio sounded good distorted. Love the bound neck on the Explorer Pro for playing comfort. The tone on the two Explorer flavours seems comparable. Maybe the standard '76 Explorer would have better tone with the larger mass? Both feel comfortable sitting or standing. Do I stick with tradition and a bigger slab of wood or go with the slick bound neck on the pro? I will let you know when I make up my mind. Either way I will have a nice guitar very soon.

• Members

Yeah thanks. The binding on the neck is the only real plus I can think of, it felt good.

While I'm here is there anything in particular I should look at before buying? Maybe there is a thread that has say 10 things you should check out before buying a guitar. I will play every note and listen for buzz and also listen to the harmonics I guess. Some say there can be big differences between examples of the same Gibson. Jeez, they all sound good to me. My ear is not experienced enough I guess.

• Members

Yeah thanks. The binding on the neck is the only real plus I can think of, it felt good.

While I'm here is there anything in particular I should look at before buying? Maybe there is a thread that has say 10 things you should check out before buying a guitar. I will play every note and listen for buzz and also listen to the harmonics I guess. Some say there can be big differences between examples of the same Gibson. Jeez, they all sound good to me. My ear is not experienced enough I guess.

Hmm.. where you at dude? Don't pay full whack ($2200) for an Explorer here in Oz..

I may have one for sale!

• Members

With the standard size Explorers the newer white models have an ebony board. That may or may not be a consideration.

• Members

Thanks. I am in Canada on holiday now and about to drop around CDN$1000 on one (around $1200 for Pro). Guitar prices in Oz are just plain silly. Do you think the ebony fretboard is a real plus? Harder (denser) wood perhaps?

Good way to do it man!

Gotta warn you though.. The case it comes in may actually be bigger than the plane you fly on..

• Members

Thanks. I am in Canada on holiday now and about to drop around CDN$1000 on one (around $1200 for Pro). Guitar prices in Oz are just plain silly. Do you think the ebony fretboard is a real plus? Harder (denser) wood perhaps?

The ebony is brighter then rosewood and has a faster decay. I am not a big fan of it personally. I like Rosewood. I actually wanted a white Explorer but passed and got the natural finish because of the ebony board the white ones sport.

They are def' worth a try though to see if you like them.

• Members

Thanks for the tip. Any other basic things I should look for before buying? Don't want to get a lemon. I guess look along the neck for straightness??

Just play it, if it feels good it is good!

Try bending the G string from the 16th fret onwards, some I've played have fretted out badly, its right around where the body and neck meet, some get humps there.

• Members

Just play it, if it feels good it is good!

Try bending the G string from the 16th fret onwards, some I've played have fretted out badly, its right around where the body and neck meet, some get humps there.

:cop:Good tips.

Also seeing on how the guitar is being brought to another country make sure the truss rod wrench that comes with it is included and that the truss rod is functional. I doubt it would not be functional but you might as well make sure.

Archived