Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah thanks. The binding on the neck is the only real plus I can think of, it felt good.

While I'm here is there anything in particular I should look at before buying? Maybe there is a thread that has say 10 things you should check out before buying a guitar. I will play every note and listen for buzz and also listen to the harmonics I guess. Some say there can be big differences between examples of the same Gibson. Jeez, they all sound good to me. My ear is not experienced enough I guess.

Hmm.. where you at dude? Don't pay full whack ($2200) for an Explorer here in Oz..

I may have one for sale!
    Mr.Mow

for. n.n omn. a.que

Comment

Yeah thanks. The binding on the neck is the only real plus I can think of, it felt good.

While I'm here is there anything in particular I should look at before buying? Maybe there is a thread that has say 10 things you should check out before buying a guitar. I will play every note and listen for buzz and also listen to the harmonics I guess. Some say there can be big differences between examples of the same Gibson. Jeez, they all sound good to me. My ear is not experienced enough I guess.

With the standard size Explorers the newer white models have an ebony board. That may or may not be a consideration.

Comment

[COLOR="Red"]accept no substitute.... 10lbs 7oz baby

FREE BATOTMAN

1955 Tele Partsocaster Korina Amber
        2007 Carvin V220 Green Machine
        1983 Gibson Custom Shop Edition Schenker reject
        1989 Fender Telecaster Custom Deluxe Ultra
        1968 Fender Telecaster
        2007 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
        1997 Fender Pink Paisley

59 Fender Bassman
        Marshall JCM 800
        Marshall Studio 15
        Marshall 1976
        Marshall Silver Jubilee
        Orange Tiny Terror
        Orange Rocker 30
        Carvin Vintage 16

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=892909

SURVIVOR

Comment

Thanks. I am in Canada on holiday now and about to drop around CDN$1000 on one (around $1200 for Pro). Guitar prices in Oz are just plain silly. Do you think the ebony fretboard is a real plus? Harder (denser) wood perhaps?
          See you in The Green Room.Explorer with MHD Walter pupsR7'60 CS StratMesa 3ch DR + 4x12 RectoFender Hot Rod DeViIle III 2 x 12

Comment

Thanks. I am in Canada on holiday now and about to drop around CDN$1000 on one (around $1200 for Pro). Guitar prices in Oz are just plain silly. Do you think the ebony fretboard is a real plus? Harder (denser) wood perhaps?

Good way to do it man!
            Gotta warn you though.. The case it comes in may actually be bigger than the plane you fly on..
            Mr.Mow

for. n.n omn. a.que

Comment

Yeah I know, I have it sorted though (I think).
              See you in The Green Room.Explorer with MHD Walter pupsR7'60 CS StratMesa 3ch DR + 4x12 RectoFender Hot Rod DeViIle III 2 x 12

Comment

The ebony is brighter then rosewood and has a faster decay. I am not a big fan of it personally. I like Rosewood. I actually wanted a white Explorer but passed and got the natural finish because of the ebony board the white ones sport.

They are def' worth a try though to see if you like them.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Any other basic things I should look for before buying? Don't want to get a lemon. I guess look along the neck for straightness??

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Any other basic things I should look for before buying? Don't want to get a lemon. I guess look along the neck for straightness??

Just play it, if it feels good it is good!

Try bending the G string from the 16th fret onwards, some I've played have fretted out badly, its right around where the body and neck meet, some get humps there.
                    Mr.Mow

for. n.n omn. a.que

Comment

Just play it, if it feels good it is good!

Try bending the G string from the 16th fret onwards, some I've played have fretted out badly, its right around where the body and neck meet, some get humps there.

Good tips.

Also seeing on how the guitar is being brought to another country make sure the truss rod wrench that comes with it is included and that the truss rod is functional. I doubt it would not be functional but you might as well make sure.

Comment

Thanks a lot. My little guitar buying saga has taken an unexpected turn. I was always tossing up between an LP Studio and an Explorer as these two Gibsons are within my budget and fill my needs, and a Gibson I must have. I have played many Explorers and LP Studios over the last few days, a couple of sweet Explorers among them and was thus leaning to an Explorer. Then this afternoon I dropped into another store and played another Explorer and an LP Studio for comparison. The LP Studio sung like a bird and felt so fine. So much better than any previous LP Studio I have tried. The Explorer in this shop was on the other hand as dead as a dodo, it literally had half the sustain of the LP Studio. I am starting to understand that guitars of the same model can vary A LOT. That LP Studio has me squirming now. It had amazing sustain and tone, the most sustain of any guitar I have played in recent days including the LP Standards I played for comparison. I will sleep on it. I can't have both, DOH!

Mr Mow, what does "fretted out" mean. Excuse my ignorance, I can play OK but the only technical term I know is "it buzzed". Same thing?

Comment

Thanks a lot. My little guitar buying saga has taken an unexpected turn. I was always tossing up between an LP Studio and an Explorer as these two Gibsons are within my budget and fill my needs, and a Gibson I must have. I have played many Explorers and LP Studios over the last few days, a couple of sweet Explorers among them and was thus leaning to an Explorer. Then this afternoon I dropped into another store and played another Explorer and an LP Studio for comparison. The LP Studio sung like a bird and felt so fine. So much better than any previous LP Studio I have tried. The Explorer in this shop was on the other hand as dead as a dodo, it literally had half the sustain of the LP Studio. I am starting to understand that guitars of the same model can vary A LOT. That LP Studio has me squirming now. It had amazing sustain and tone, the most sustain of any guitar I have played in recent days including the LP Standards I played for comparison. I will sleep on it. I can't have both, DOH!

Mr Mow, what does "fretted out" mean. Excuse my ignorance, I can play OK but the only technical term I know is "it buzzed". Same thing?

Hey, what ever is working!
                          by fretting out I mean as you bend the note it will just suddenly die (due to a fret being higher, crooked etc), I've noticed it on several explorers thats all, one of mine had it too, not the end of the world, easy enough to fix, just annoying!
                          Mr.Mow

for. n.n omn. a.que

Comment

Oh no, the agony of decision! I played the Explorer and the Studio through a nice Mesa valve amp side by side and it was undeniable that the Explorer had a slightly meaner edge to its tone, which I really liked. I wanted mean and the 500T is just that little bit meaner than the Studio's pickups. I am back on the Explorer path again, regardless of the superior sustain of the Studio. The tuners on the Studio also semmed to work better. I will make up my mind sometime this century. This guitar will have to last me a long time so I had better get it right.

Comment

Wait, you are on vacation in Canada? Why would you leave the warmth of Australia to visit this frozen wasteland?
                              The Practice

Originally Posted by wedgehed II

So, it was OK for women to throw their panties at Elvis or scream themselves into orgasm at the Beatles; BUT, let a guy spank his monkey front row at a Heart concert & something is wrong with him!

Comment

I love it. -20 deg C rocks

Comment

Working...
                                X