Bucking Strats.

The Lou-Dog

• Members

8.jpg

Both my strats have buckers in the bridge. both of them are Duncan JB's, one being full size and one being single sized.

For me its absolutely essential strats have a bucker in the bridge, as I can't deal with strat bridge tones without one. I think a strat with a bucker in the bridge is probably one of the most versatile guitars out there, and theres very little if not anything it can't handle. Great instrument!

• Members

My most played guitar (at the moment) is my $57 Peavey Raptor HSS. My nicest is my Fender American Special Mahogany Stratocaster HSS.

Strats simply feel good to hold and nestle right up to you with their belly cuts and rounded edges. I tried a regular SSS, but in my house there was lots of loud 60cycle hum (too many little florescent replacement bulbs maybe?). So I returned it. I found the Peavey on clearance, brought it home and fell in love with it. It has the humbucker and a reverse-wound middle pup, which really made a huge difference.

I liked the Peavey so much that I went and bought the American Special. That thing is heavenly. The S1 switch lets you put just about any pickup configuration you could possibly think of together; and the pickups sound great. The fit and finish is immaculate.

Ok, back to the HSS. Awesome.

• Members

Or those with stacked pickups?

I've had two Strats with 'noiseless' stacked humbuckers (my Jeff Beck sig and a now-sold MIM 50s Classic w/Kinman's AVn Blues set) and they DEFINITELY don't sound like regular HBs, or even Lil 59/rails-style microbuckers. They sound almost exactly like hi-quality regular s/c Strat PUs, only minus the buzz, hum and general sonic crap. (Also minus a tiny degree of ultra-hi-end zing and detail, but that's the trade-off, and you'd have to be VERY serious about trad Strat tone even to notice, let alone care.)

If you want to add classic HB tones to a Strat, look elsewhere. These suckaz do a totally different job.

• Members

I've had two Strats with 'noiseless' stacked humbuckers (my Jeff Beck sig and a now-sold MIM 50s Classic w/Kinman's AVn Blues set) and they DEFINITELY don't sound like regular HBs, or even Lil 59/rails-style microbuckers. They sound almost exactly like hi-quality regular s/c Strat PUs, only minus the buzz, hum and general sonic crap. (Also minus a tiny degree of ultra-hi-end zing and detail, but that's the trade-off, and you'd have to be VERY serious about trad Strat tone even to notice, let alone care.)

If you want to add classic HB tones to a Strat, look elsewhere. These suckaz do a totally different job.

You know, I've been kind of meaning to get an opinion from someone of your level of strat liking on the noiseless pickups like in the beck- I always end up getting rid of strats because I get sick of the damn buzzing and snorting and popping etc,etc- I want to love them as much as my gibsons, but after spending my time walking around the room and holding it here and there to find the magic spot that I can actually play it I get pissed and pick up an LP. I can tolerate some noise, like the h 90 in my jr will still hum a little, but not like a full p90. I may have to go check one out - I figure if you have the set up you do and say they still have the right sound thats a good sign. It gets impossible to tell from all the "reviews" out there.

• Members

I got a HSS Strat with a full size JB in there and it sounds great...for full on rock its just the ticket....my other Strat is SSS but with Lace Hot Golds which is a hot mid heavy single coil...which is nice but it dont twang like a traditional Strat...which for some things and some occasions I miss.

• Members

I dont want to sound like a dick but I am aware of that.

What I originally thought when I saw the title is "strats with hum canceling pickups", not necessarily full size or small size humbuckers.

• Members

I just put a seymour duncan hot rail in the bridge of my strat it really makes it so I can play a lot more on the strat than before. I want to get another american strat and customize it with a floyd rose humbuckers and coil split the pickups but I want to know if there would be a difference between humbucker and strat sized humbuckers. Like if I had a full sized dimarzio super distortion and a strat sized super distortion s would the full sized one sound better but I heard the strat sized one splits better. The guitars going to be my main metal guitar so I don't want to compromise on the pickups.

• Members

fare nuff. Unfortunately there are no CIJ humbucking strats. And me and MIM strats don;t get along. Maybe Warmoth is the answer....

Why don't you get a CIJ strat and then add a single-sized hb in the bridge position??

The Hot Rails is great.. or the Tone Zone S.

Archived