Best Coheed & Cambria riffs?

songsforbears

• Members

I'm a newbie to Coheed & Cambria after falling in love with their song "Welcome Home" from... Rock Band, gasp! I'm big into folk and alternative country music... so it's pretty weird for me to like this.

It's so much fun to play on Xbox, but the song is even more fun to play on the real guitar. :thu:

I got three of their albums and was wondering what other songs have really catchy guitar licks like those?

"Welcome Home" (Never seen anybody playing one of those sweet Gibson EDS-1275s before!

[YOUTUBE]ZEsnX4utdyQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The album version is better / longer, but you probably already know that.

Anyways, {censored}ing great band. Welcome Home is a rather unique song and stands out from their catalog for it's guitar orientation, but the band has plenty of tasty licks here and there. Their riffing style is a bit strange in how it's definitely there but it's just a tad in the background, but it may just be Claudio's insane voice. I'm currently listening to In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, which has some pretty cool guitar work here and there (it's funny how they use pinch harmonics as much as zakk wylde in some places but the way they do it actually makes musical sense).

• Members

A lot of their songs actually have pretty catchy riffs...like:

Blood Red Summer

A Favor House Atlantic

Feathers

The Running Free

Ten Speed

The Suffering

I tend not to like those songs as much as the others though.

• Members

The Crowing is badass.

And pretty much the entire last 4 songs on good apollo.

The Crowing is pretty awesome, one of my favs...but that and the Willing Well songs do not have super catchy hooks or riffs.

My favorite Coheed song has to be 2113 though.

• Members

has anyone listned to their newest album? how does it compare to their previous stuff

Well, they changed producers and Josh Eppard isn't drumming for them anymore (Taylor Hawkins is on the album but Chris Pennie is officially in the band), so it sounds a very, very tiny bit different than the other three albums... But saying that, if the other albums are rated 100, this is rated 97.

• Members

Yeah to be honest I wasn't digging the new album so much when it first dropped. Now though I'm starting to warm up to it. There are some pretty nice guitar tones throughout. Some songs still make me cringe though (the lyrics)...Gunslingers is one of them and Mother Superior is the other. Besides those two songs it's a decent album.

• Members

Are you kidding, these guys have a song called 2113?

I always thought they sounded a lot like Rush. I don't own any CDs but have yet to hear anything from them that I didn't like. So, as a newb, what would be the first CD to get. Don't worry about trying to go commericial or accessible or anything, I love prog and love heavy stuff and also love old Rush.

• Members

Are you kidding, these guys have a song called 2113?

I always thought they sounded a lot like Rush. I don't own any CDs but have yet to hear anything from them that I didn't like. So, as a newb, what would be the first CD to get. Don't worry about trying to go commericial or accessible or anything, I love prog and love heavy stuff and also love old Rush.

I think they recorded that song after the comparisons to Rush. 2113 is kind of a hidden/bonus track on their second album (In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3), which is also their best album by far. It is a kick ass song.

• Members

I dunno if you have the last album, but Gravemakers & Gunslingers is pretty badass, as well as the title track No World For Tomorrow.

I have "Keeping Secrets..." and "...I'm Burning Star IV" volumes 1 and 2. I'll definitely check those out. Thanks!

I kind of just jumped back into Thrice last night, so C&C might already be taking a back seat.

• Members

I got the new one. At first didn't really groove on it. After about five or six listens I love it and play it a lot. I'm gonna bo back now and get some others. At Best Buy the other day I saw a CD size case with a live DVD, audio CD and stuff. Is that one good? Does anyone have it. I bet it is hard for them to reproduce some of that stuff live. The production on the new one is great albeit a tad commercial sounding on some songs. The only thing I don't like is it seems like I hear the word "Hell" about 100 times on the newest one.

• Members

I got the new one. At first didn't really groove on it. After about five or six listens I love it and play it a lot. I'm gonna bo back now and get some others. At Best Buy the other day I saw a CD size case with a live DVD, audio CD and stuff. Is that one good? Does anyone have it. I bet it is hard for them to reproduce some of that stuff live. The production on the new one is great albeit a tad commercial sounding on some songs. The only thing I don't like is it seems like I hear the word "Hell" about 100 times on the newest one.

That's Live at the Starland Ballroom. I have that DVD and it's pretty awesome. It comes with a DVD of the concert and a CD recording of it, worth the $10 or so for sure. All the songs on that one are from their 1st and 2nd albums only. The new DVD, Live at the Hammerstein has their IV songs on it. Both of them are excellent, but I do prefer the Starland one.

Archived