Freless Conversion

jimwratt

• Members

So I finally got cracking on my first fretless conversion this morning. It took about 45 minutes to pull all the frets out. Then I just spent the last hour and a half gluing in wood veneer lengths where the frets used to be. I'm gonna let the wood glue set for a while and then I'll get on to shaving and sanding the markers down to fretboard level. Here's some pics

Before

-1.jpg

Frets coming out

IMG00020.jpg

Frets totally out

IMG00021.jpg

Markers going in

IMG00022.jpg

Markers totally in

IMG00023.jpg

IMG00024.jpg

• Members

I have to do the clips tomorrow because its too late to turn my amp on and record. They will be coming though. I'm jamming out to some Dave Fiuczynski right now on headphones and I haven't been this excited since I learned the opening lick to Purple Haze when I was 13.

• Members

I have to do the clips tomorrow because its too late to turn my amp on and record. They will be coming though. I'm jamming out to some Dave Fiuczynski right now on headphones and I haven't been this excited since I learned the opening lick to Purple Haze when I was 13.

can't wait-i've been eying my cheap-o peavey p-bass thinking about doing the same thing. i actually can't recall ever hearing a fretless guitar...

btw...weren't you more excited the first time you ever touched a naked girl?

:badump:

• Members

can't wait-i've been eying my cheap-o peavey p-bass thinking about doing the same thing. i actually can't recall ever hearing a fretless guitar...

btw...weren't you more excited the first time you ever touched a naked girl?

:badump:

That was before I was 13 :cop::poke:

• Members

Awesome thread. I've been thinking about de-fretting my danelectro for a while, and this thread may have pushed me over the edge, especially after listening to that clip.

How would you rate this project in terms of difficulty? Maybe compared to some other projects you've done?

Also, could you talk a bit more about your intonation issues? You mentioned that it was easier to adjust to than you'd predicted. Is this with single-note lines, chords, both? I'm especially interested in how tricky it is to keep chords in tune, as this is I imagine that toughest part, esp. with some trickier chord shapes.

Thanks a bunch.

• Members

Well done!

I'm impressed.

My experience with a fretless guitar was comical at best. It wasn't my guitar so I didn't play it much. I was to dependent on getting close and letting the fret do the work.

Had you had much experience with fretless guitar before you did this?

• Members

Awesome thread. I've been thinking about de-fretting my danelectro for a while, and this thread may have pushed me over the edge, especially after listening to that clip.

How would you rate this project in terms of difficulty? Maybe compared to some other projects you've done?

Also, could you talk a bit more about your intonation issues? You mentioned that it was easier to adjust to than you'd predicted. Is this with single-note lines, chords, both? I'm especially interested in how tricky it is to keep chords in tune, as this is I imagine that toughest part, esp. with some trickier chord shapes.

Thanks a bunch.

Outside of sliding a finger up the neck of a fretless bass in a gc years ago and seeing Dave Fiuczynski and Bumblefoot play a couple of times, I'd never really been in the same room as a fretless anything. I played this guitar for about an hour and a half just to figure out how differently notes and chords sounded and I recorded the clip. Intonnation in chords is tough not because its hard to get your fingers in the right spot linearly speaking, but vertically speaking. If you try to play an open position E chord for example, its hard to get the b and e in tune because one finger winds up having to be in front of the other (unless you have really tiny fingers). As for single note things, the intonation isn't too hard because from the one year I studied classical guitar when I was a freshman in HS, I got into the habit of playing right behind the fret which is where the best tone is. For me, its really a matter of playing just a hair in front of that. The more I practice (especially once I actually start working specifically on intonation), the better my intonation will get I'd imagine. It's probably not too tough to play chords once you figure out what to do.

• Members

Nice Job. Welcome to the fretless club! Looks great

DCP_0980.jpg
DCP_1011.jpg
DCP_1188.jpg

Man, those are gorgeous. Epoxy coating I presume? I was considering that for this axe but I couldn't figure out what kind to use. Any suggestions? BTW, what's a fretless like with a tremelo? Maybe I could throw a Bigsby on this baby.

• Members

the middle one (Kramer) is mine, Floyd Rose depression just bottoms out the string to the fingerboard. Sound cool VERY slightly used.

The action is very low, I don't really use the bar at all.

Cool with a E-Bow!

what kind of finish did you use on the board?

Archived