Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you judge a company by its best stuff ...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you judge a company by its best stuff ...

... or its most recent?

Reason I ask: the perennial glut of Gibson-oriented (no pun intended, MUCH) overpriced-crap-or-what threads. I think just about everyone, barring the odd teen troll, agrees that the best guitars the Gibson company has produced over the years (under a variety of managements, in a variety of manufacturing locations and facilities) are wonderful, brilliant instruments which rightfully deserve to be considered as absolute benchmarks in the history of the electric guitar.

It's also more-or-less generally agreed that the quality of their current product is -- to put it semi-politely -- VARIABLE, and that they generally charge pretty high prices.

Still, let's not scapegoat Gibson particularly. The same goes for many other major marques: Fender and Vox come to mind as labels which have been applied, over the years, to products ranging in quality from the sublime to the ridiculous.

So: when someone asks you, 'What do you think of [Gibson/Fender/Vox/whoever: insert name of manufacturer here]?', on what do you base your reply? Their very best stuff from any point in their history? The one you played last week? Or some sort of generalised average?

*Jean-Luc Picard voice*

Gentlemen! Suggestions!
    http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Dunno, i suppose Gibson does have this immortal majesty about it, but then again, some of its new stuff is rather not what you would expect...

Read your article in guitarist: good luck with your band, and I personally think you shoud use the Super reverb with a tele/ strat, and use your hands/ guitar/amp controlls to get versatility: not digital modding.

Comment

Thats a hard call-I love Gibsons as a general rule, but I will say you have to be really careful with the stuff hanging in the stores-I usually end up recommending people either go for an older one or sit and play and look over every one they have time to touch- like the faded sg, lp etc- they vary a lot, but some are truly incredible for not much $ -I honestly have never found a custom or higher end LP with the hardware falling off and the neck put on backwards by drunken badgers like half the posters seem to claim, but I'm sure there are lemons out there-

This is kind of non answer, but I guess I would have to find out what era they were looking at or wanting to give a good reply-
      Good deals with:
      FineYoungFool,adark_one,Gibson2687(x3)tubedrt,tomh 777,Koflan,hvymtl939,shy,dcindc,vangkm, Mr.Pocket,baja85,jjpistols,pinchegordo,Norton666,
      ny300percent.com,paulderlunas,Carbohydrates,GarysB lues,XMahkaihX,JeepDriver,Rokket2005,walleyealx,
      AlleyTrash,BigPimpin'T,frankthomson,Bengal,tobildt eleez,lkdog,slappymcfinkles,Mbomn8r,teleblaster, taylorman22,vidiot72,abrasive,heartben,fretnwail,
      downer01,bobonblonde, KingEdB,andrewemmel,solarpimp,tdepaul1313,kjrocks, suntired, RG 76

Comment

I try not to generalise, so usually end up with "it depends what product and from when you're talking about" which is I guess a generalisation in itself?

Comment

I usually talk about both sides of the coin. The good and the bad in regards to the company in question.

"I think they make some really great guitars but...."

Comment

I tend to take a very generalized view of the company as a whole, price vs.playability/ sound being the biggest factor in the assessment, across their whole inventory.

Examples would be that I never see myself owning a Gibson. Way too pricey for the inconsistency. I do see myself owning an Epiphone, which I would put on a level with Fender's MIM stuff.

Fender, OTOH, I would own anything across their product line (I have a MIM and a Squire Affinity and could see a MIA in my future).

Yamaha is another that I would own anything they've put out.
            Originally Posted by axuality
            What does the quality of Harvard have to do with this? You don't want to make the common mistake of Liberalism by thinking that education makes one smarter.

Comment

I've had this realization or view about consumer electronics in the past. Sony makes great stuff, but their low-end crap is crap just like everyone else's crap. Labor costs, I believe, puts Gibson's very best new stuff out of the reach of most of us.
              ------------------------------------------
              Loyal subject of the Epiphone Empire and just another one of the F-Holes

The quartersawn has been pulled for you....

Comment

This thread is in the same vein as my lets stop bashing Gibson thread. Its a fact that Gibson has produced some of the very best guitars ever. I really think the problem with most manufacturers is over producing their product to jump on the money band wagon.

Back in the mid 80s Henry J returned back to Nashville from Japan with an Orville,Aria was in charge of QC, (Matsumoko plant) and asked his head luthier why Gibson couldnt produce guitars with that type of consistancy and he said "were trying to make too many too fast". One thing to keep in mind is that the American companies have to sell their guitars,whereas the Japanese factories built to order for many brands therefore minimallizing risk.
                R I P Leopardstar

Originally Posted by jjpistols
                yeah it's funny to watch internet idiots talk **************** knowing they've never accomplished a ****************in thing musically

Comment

I certainly don't think you should judge a company by its 'best' products. I also think that if a company sets itself up as the creme, it ought to try to get it right consistently. Charging over
                  My band:

http://lightbulbmomentband.com/

Follow me on twitter

Comment

I don't currently own any Gibsons, but I've had four in the past and I can truthfully state that I've never owned a bad one.

I can also truthfully state that I've never owned a Gibson manufactured after 1968.
                    http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

I don't currently own any Gibsons, but I've had four in the past and I can truthfully state that I've never owned a bad one.

I can also truthfully state that I've never owned a Gibson manufactured after 1968.

They were a much much smaller company back in those days.
                      R I P Leopardstar

Originally Posted by jjpistols
                      yeah it's funny to watch internet idiots talk **************** knowing they've never accomplished a ****************in thing musically

Comment

They were a much much smaller company back in those days.

That is true. Exports were not very large either. I read here and there of 60's British rockers talking about having one of only like 2 or 3 Les Paul's or whatnot in the country during that time.

These days everything is so saturated.

Comment

?', on what do you base your reply? Their very best stuff from any point in their history? The one you played last week? Or some sort of generalised average?

In evaluating a company, I look at their balance sheet and stock price.

In evaluating their instruments, I pick them up and play them. To say that 'Gibson is the best' or 'Fenders are terrible' is a pretty poor waste of verbiage.

I have observed through the years that every single instrument company has put out some fantastic guitars and some stinkers. Although it might be possible to make a reasonably accurate general statement for a certain product line, I don't think you can do the same for a whole company.

Example 1: I would say that the current Gibson Historic Reissue Les Pauls tend to be very well built and nicely set up from the factory - I love 'em. I would also say that many (if not most) of the mid-line LPs I've recently played weren't that hot, and held no interest for me. So what does this mean about Gibson? Nothing I can generalize.

Example 2: I love the high-end Marshall amps. I find their solid-state models to not be worth the effort to toss them out a 3rd floor window. So, is Marshall a fairly-priced boutique amp company, or are they a poor mass manufacturer?
                          ...but, this one goes to eleven.

Comment

It depends on whether or you focus on the used or new markets. I tend to focus on used amps and new guitars, so I'm likely to scrutinize guitar manufacturers for their current work and amp manufacturers for their previous.

Comment

nobody judges First Act on their top of the line

Heritage and Hamer USA are always touted for their quality - have they ever put out a clunker? I know Gibson probably produces in a week what the others put out in a year, so it's not the same playing field
                              Hey, Cancer! **************** You!

Comment

Working...
                              X