Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gettin' my Blues on - listeners and critiques wanted! (Tom Waits content)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettin' my Blues on - listeners and critiques wanted! (Tom Waits content)

A buddy of mine and I have been working on a cover of Tom Waits's "Hang On St. Christopher," from Frank's Wild Years. Tom's version is pretty much a straight blues progression, but of course, with Tom Waits and Marc Ribot in the same room, things get weird. Awesome, of course, but unusual.

Now, we can't get all Tom Waits on this song, so we decided to approach it as a straight blues number...with a few quirks. In particular, since we don't have a drum set currently available, we totally winged the percussion. In several separate takes, we used a shaker, a tambourine, and hand claps. We also recorded my buddy doing a snare train with drumsticks on a table top, high ride-sounds by whacking beer bottles with drum sticks, and a "bass drum" which was actually me pounding on a briefcase with a wrench.

I'm mostly happy with the outcome. There's one section I need to fix - the second "solo" where we hung on E, but I thought we were going back into A, and that whole solo section is pretty weak. But that's an easy fix.

So let me know what you think. Feel free to rip it to shreds if you feel necessary. I can take it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=742236&content=music

It's obviously the first song.

Technical stuff:

- bass guitar is a G&L L-2000 through a Peavey TNT amp.
    - slide guitar: 1960's Valco/Supro lap steel through a Traynor YCV40WR.
    - rhythm track: G&L ASAT Special through a Fender Prosonic 210.
    - lead guitar: Fender Hwy 1 strat (modified with a SD Lil 59, and SD Vintage Strats) through a Traynor YCV40WR.
    Crap for Sale/Trade:

Ampeg SVT 410 HLF bass cabinet - $375

i love tom waits, and i think this is a much more approachable cover, a lot of people have trouble getting into tom waits. i would however suggest that the singer stop trying so hard, his voice just sounds kinda forced no offense. but overall pretty great.

Comment

No offense taken. I appreciate you taking the time to listen. I'm a HORRIBLE singer, and he's somewhat better, so he tends to get vox duties.
      Crap for Sale/Trade:

Comment

Agree with the singer sounding forced but think it adds to the overall effect of the song.
        Congratulations man, I really liked it!!!

Comment

i really dug it .. the percussion was cool... gave it a nice raw vibe

i'd raise the vocals in the mix just a touch... same goes for the second solo

Comment

i really dug it .. the percussion was cool... gave it a nice raw vibe

i'd raise the vocals in the mix just a touch... same goes for the second solo
            I actually hated the second solo so much that I volume enveloped it almost out of existence. I may rerecord something over that space, and just get rid of the previous version altogether.
            Crap for Sale/Trade:

Comment

I liked it until the singing started.

It kind of reminded me of the more acoustic/bluesy stuff that Black Rebel Motorcycle Club does (except for the vox, of course).

Comment

Very cool. Don't change a thing.
                Member of the Big Heads Club.

Member of the Epiphone Empire.

Only you can prevent narssisism.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else!

John 3:16

Comment

I liked it until the singing started.

It kind of reminded me of the more acoustic/bluesy stuff that Black Rebel Motorcycle club does (except for the vox, of course).
                  Thanks for the listen.

And get us a singer!
                  Crap for Sale/Trade:

Comment

Very cool. Don't change a thing.
                    Thanks, dude. I appreciate it. And I think you're about 5 miles from me. I live in Roebuck Springs, just down the road from you.
                    Crap for Sale/Trade:

Comment

wow, i really dig what you guys did with it - this is one of my favorite tom tracks.

the percussion and slide do a lot to give it that waits vibe.

very well done.

if ya ever do another and want some tom-ish vocals, hit me up. i can usually nail it decently; thanks to the years of booze and cigarettes.
                      Proud founder of the Trailer Trash Tattooed Piece of ****************/Dollar Store Trash Club.
                      Tattoos courtesy of Espi & Alison Casson

Comment

wow, i really dig what you guys did with it - this is one of my favorite tom tracks.

the percussion and slide do a lot to give it that waits vibe.

very well done.

if ya ever do another and want some tom-ish vocals, hit me up. i can usually nail it decently; thanks to the years of booze and cigarettes.
                        Thanks, man. That's a hell of a cool offer. As it happens, I also want to do a cover of "Yesterday Is Here." Want to sing?
                        Crap for Sale/Trade:

Comment

So let me know what you think. Feel free to rip it to shreds if you feel necessary. I can take it.

Sounds great, although I have some slight reservations about the vocals ....just a lil too "smooth", for me, to be singing a Mr Waits song Not bad, mind you, just not what I'm used to, ya understand. The music itself was a very well done interpretation, imho - percussion sounded great, especially after reading how y'all did it .
                          In all fairness, he's a tough act to cover, as he is truly one of a kind
                          I truly believe him to be America's greatest living storyteller !!!
                          Originally Posted by book_of_lies777

.......... if you practice the wrong things, you can get real good at not being very good.

Originally Posted by aenemated

I question many things about a person that does not love the Ramones.

Comment

Not bad at all, but needs more whiskey.
                            Originally Posted by korky1958

And it's a suede vest, not a waistcoat.

Comment

Not bad at all, but needs more whiskey.
                              ....and ciggies....or somethin'
                              Originally Posted by book_of_lies777

.......... if you practice the wrong things, you can get real good at not being very good.

Originally Posted by aenemated

I question many things about a person that does not love the Ramones.

Comment

Working...
                              X